Changing Starter Moter

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked online and just bought this battery last Sept. Think when it drained the other day messed it up & just get another?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Have it fully charged and take it to a reputable place to have it loaded tested.
No sense buying items you don't need when you may need the bucks for the part that's defective...

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Last edited:

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I had it load tested once already and I do have a job to be at during the day with other things going on, like yard work, house work, cutting down a small tree etc....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a pretty big drop. Ride it for a whilen if it gets slower we could take action to help it, but bike will be done a few days....

What kind of charger do you have? Is it good for 3 to 4 amps?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its very likely the starter, but make sure the all of the larger cables are good. Mainly the ends are what gets compromised. As said before, if they get warm during a longer cranking cycle that's one thing. Hot or smoking and there is something wrong with that cable end.

Good luck.

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the starter out today Trying to get it out without taking TB off wasn't too hard..
20170412_181403[1].jpg
Taking the airbox off and using an extension about 6" with 8m socket was able to get to both bolts from where you see in the picture. Got the starter loose and little wiggle room got it out thru the side. I also used a long magnet tool, don't know the technical name, to get the bolts out after they were loose so I wouldn't drop them. Best grease to use on the replacement?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Best grease to use where? The starter shouldn't need any grease.

If there's an o-ring between the starter and block, a thin layer of grease to hold it in place wouldn't hurt...

If you need to secure your bolts while sneaking them down thru the TB's, put some layers of masking tape INSIDE YOUR SOCKET and jamb the bolts into the socket till their snug / don't fall out..

They'll stay till you get them started...

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
YES!!! Got the starter in and she started right up! Turned the key off waited a minute and started right up again. No dragging or hesitating!! That trick with the tape worked great! I never would have thought of that :) Thanks so much guys!!!