Clutch Fluid Don't Look Right

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That dealer needs to get off his a$$ and get a hold of headquarters.

If they don't, you need to. If they still jerk you around, get a lawyer.

You don't still have the FZ as a back up I gather?

Ducati USA was absolutely no help. They will not get involved in terms of the sale. The only thing they confirmed was that their was no need to activate the warranty to exchange mismatched panniers. There could be other reasons why they would activate the warranty. Maybe jumping the gun on a sale and the buyer backed out of the sale the last minute. Getting a sale logged for a particular month, etc. The fact is, they never disclosed that the bike was almost out of the warranty period. They explained this is why the bike was discounted $4000 off MSRP. Okay, but they needed to disclose that info.

Wonder how far I would get if I got a lawyer. They mentioned they want to work this out, maybe having me purchase an extended warranty at a discount. I have yet to inform them about my clutch issues.

Yes, I still have the FZ,and have been riding it in replace of the Duc.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty messed up...

Sounds like their making excuses now, discounted 4K BUT Not telling you the reason?

And agreed, someone jumped the gun registering it with Ducuti..

Curious, was it $4,000 less than similar bikes on the floor? (Not that it really matters)

It's on paper, black and white as a CONTRACT.. I'd push them to either pay for the extended warranty
for TWO YEARS TOTAL (if it's longer, OFFER TO PAY for that).

If that doesn't work, find out who your lawyer should contact. You have a solid case, black and white contract.

And name Ducati HEADQUARTERs as well in your threat. They won't want headquarters involved in this
and they'd get a phone call from Ducuiti headquarters as well...

Advise them of the additional fee's they'll be paying for YOUR LAWYER, I suspect they'd be happy to buy
the extended warranty.

It's good PR, they keep a customer, and they keep you from posting all over the net
that Ducuti doesn't honor their warranties..

***Related Honda warranty issue I had. My 2004 Goldwing alternator bearing failed (common issue back then).
This required R&R the engine. When I got the bike back, besides other issues, it now LEAKED OIL like a
70's Harley.. The dealership was told of it and to fix it right.. They didn't/wouldn't-("keep an eye on it").

Called Honda headquarters, they jerked me around, if it's mechanic induced their not responsible-IE sue the dealer in court..
Of course it's mechanic induced, duh...

Brought it to Clearwater Honda, (Haps), and told them what was going on. Honda told them the same..

**I told Hap's FIX IT, don't care what it costs, I'll simply sue HONDA HEADQUARTERS and the local dealer.

Haps found the issue (and other screw ups) and fixed it. The SE, USA Region Honda Rep happened to be at their shop
at the time. (leak was a nicked clutch cover when the gasket was scraped off).

Honda picked up the ENTIRE BILL,

Point, threaten to get headquarters involved /sued as well, $1 says you get some action...

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any lawyers on the forum?

At the moment, I'm giving them an opportunity to get it right. They did mention about adding an extended warranty, but for how long and how much. What would be fair? They seem to be dragging their feet, saying they would get back to me, etc.but they have never called me back. I'm Losing my patience. Having a faulty fuel sensor in other words, inoperative fuel gauge is a minor inconvenience. It doesn't keep the bike from running. But the clutch will. Right now, I'm just going to take my bike to the local motorcycle shop near where I work and have them bleed and replace the fluid and at the same time, take a look at the slave cylinder and see if there is anything odd. Where did all that fluid go? Did it evaporate? I just purchased some DOT 4 brake fluid, hopefully that will be enough to get me there. Makes no sense to be making monthly payments on the bike, and not be able to ride it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you do a search about Ducuti hydraulic clutch issues on the net?

I'm sure your NOT the first person. What did the dealer have to say (about the issue), where did the fluid go (or perhaps their playing stupid?)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm assuming Michael's Power sports is your local Ducati dealer? No help? I'd be climbing the corporate ladder with Ducati USA, sucks but you may need a lawyer because you are getting shafted now.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the slave bolts to the left of the output shaft. 3 bolts. Unbolt it and inspect it.

Granted you have an issue with the warranty, but you could verify the leak, tell them to hand you a new MC and slave, bolt it on ans bleed it. Deal with warranty BS as time allows. Look at these...
https://www.google.com/search?q=duc...Ts7tzM:;qx6KUINNTs7tzM:&imgrc=qx6KUINNTs7tzM:

Its not here...
https://www.google.com/search?q=duc...AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=S5y64DkILWHkFM:

Kenny, lots of aftermarket parts out there...
https://www.designcorse.com/collections/clutch-slave-cyclinders

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Of what I've read, after market parts are much superior and most have gone in that direction. I do like the red slave cylinders.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm assuming Michael's Power sports is your local Ducati dealer? No help? I'd be climbing the corporate ladder with Ducati USA, sucks but you may need a lawyer because you are getting shafted now.

At the moment I don't have an issue with Michael's, it's the dealership where I bought the bike which is 800 miles away. Ducati Seattle. I've written and posted a great thread about my buying experience on several forums, I can easily post a very negative after purchase experience as well.

Ducati USA is zero help, they say it's between the dealership and me.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ken,

As FYI my clutch master fluid stays clean now. The fluid I used was a DOT 4 fluid and it has remained very clean for the year and 1/2 or so when I last did it because I had to replace a burned stator, requiring removal of the clutch slave unit and stator engine cover on the SV1000s.

I purchase a cheapo hand vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight and that seemed to work a lot faster than the way I used to do it by pumping the master cylinder like a mad man. I still finish with the hand pump and bleed method but using the vacuum to suck the fluid down is the way to start.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, my friend works for the local Duciti, BMW dealer (part time).

I showed him this thread.

He said to replace the damaged parts did NOT require starting the warranty (a year before you bought it).

That dealer apparently reported that Ducuti was sold a year ago (maybe they had a deposit) and the buyer backed out..

He also said to obtain an extended warranty (factory warranty), it HAS TO BE DONE WITHIN the warranty period.
The extended warranty their offering you is an "after market" warranty..

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Does Washington have a state agency that regulates Car / bike dealerships? I'd be talking to them if you Dealer shorted you on the OEM warranty.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does Washington have a state agency that regulates Car / bike dealerships? I'd be talking to them if you Dealer shorted you on the OEM warranty.

Don't know but worth looking into.
[MENTION=3182]Scott[/MENTION], Aftermarket warranty was the discussion.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates, at least on the clutch? Fixed?

Bike is currently at a trusted independent local shop. The clutch was inoperative so they came by and picked it up. Flushing, purging and bleeding the new fluid is in order for starters. He's going to see if there are any leaks, the owner of the shop was curious where all the fluid went as well.

20161219_183836_zpsdowge9qx.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike is fixed, Fluid was dark, no replacement of parts needed. Just flush, purge and bleed new fluids. Engagement zone is where it should and it appears it's shifting a lot better, on the smoother side. Hey I can find neutral!

20161222_192133_zpsbisyyixp.jpg