Cut the windshield or buy new?

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Just picked up an second Fz6, I sort of live in two places so I have one for each location. My first FZ, 06' has a stock windshield which is great. The new one has a Yamaha factory tall windshield. Not so great. Turbulence around the head makes for a ton of noise and buffeting. I can stand on the pegs @ 80mph and get my head out of the turbulent wind and everything quiets down nicely.

So I need a shorter shield for highway runs and just about anything over 30 mph. Is it worth trying to sell the tall shield and buy another or should I just cut it.

I've cut before, even crafted shields out of plexy for the old windjammer faring so I'm not afraid of the work. I can make it look pretty factory apart from the lip that surrounds the stock shield.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, had no idea what the tall sheilds went for. It is in really good shape. There was only 2200 miles on the bike. Second owner had bought it @ 800 miles and he is the one that put the shield on. So there is less than 1400 miles on the shield.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
this is going off the assumption that you're talking about an '04-'06. just did a quick look at asking prices on ebay for you. these are both new... but you get the point.

YAMAHA FZ6 Tall Windshield 04-06 4" taller 3" wider NEW : eBay Motors (item 300408023848 end time Apr-16-10 11:08:17 PDT)

New! Yamaha FZ6 Tall Windshield : eBay Motors (item 110508631869 end time Apr-17-10 06:49:24 PDT)

i have no clue what the prices on the newer ones run cause i've never looked for them. i have an '06 and shopped around for a while because those shields don't come up very often and they were usually out of my price range when they did. finally got one about 6 months ago and really liked it for winter riding.

[edit]: just looked and it appears that the newer model styles are just as expensive - if not more.

Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice, no used screens on the bay, all new. RonAyers has the stock screen new @US$46... Crazy the tall is more expensive.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could post up on this forum and try for a swap. I'm sure there's someone who wants to give your screen a go.....