Fault code 14

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
As I am now home and have the parts fiche, I extracted the page in question that shows the hose layout. Look for the 2 RED arrows that correspond to the vacuum sensor and the manifold hose. And so there is no misunderstanding, you want to apply vacuum, not pressure to test. Test between 0"-29" Hg, or 0-760mm Hg. That should show a meter reading of 0-100.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys.

Now, I took a ride to Wolfman's last night. After lifting the tank (again.. getting sick of doing that now...lol), first thing he looked at was the connector for the pressure sensor, looking for a bent pin or corrosion.
Plug and sensor pins looked like brand new so we plugged it back in and started looking at hoses. Everything looked normal, so we sat down, scratched our heads, had a smoke and a chat about our upcoming Phillip Island trip for the MotoGP.

Jamie (and his magic fingers) decided to have another look at the connector, decided to spray with some isopropyl alcohol and blow out with compressed air. Did the same to the pins on the sensor... Plugged it all in again, turned on the key and the error was gone

I've had that plug off 5 or 6 times over the last week, and it just ends up being a dirty connection.

I'm going to buy a gallon of that alcohol and I'll be ready for the next electrickery problem...lol

:rockon:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys.

Now, I took a ride to Wolfman's last night. After lifting the tank (again.. getting sick of doing that now...lol), first thing he looked at was the connector for the pressure sensor, looking for a bent pin or corrosion.
Plug and sensor pins looked like brand new so we plugged it back in and started looking at hoses. Everything looked normal, so we sat down, scratched our heads, had a smoke and a chat about our upcoming Phillip Island trip for the MotoGP.

Jamie (and his magic fingers) decided to have another look at the connector, decided to spray with some isopropyl alcohol and blow out with compressed air. Did the same to the pins on the sensor... Plugged it all in again, turned on the key and the error was gone

I've had that plug off 5 or 6 times over the last week, and it just ends up being a dirty connection.

I'm going to buy a gallon of that alcohol and I'll be ready for the next electrickery problem...lol

Nice one, glad its fixed.
nelly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent!

IMHO, I've found that putting a little dilectric grease in any of those connectors will prevent any later/further problems. I put it in any/all connectors I take apart including a very light coating on bulb contacts...

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the sensor could be stuffed after all. Was fine yesterday, started it this morning to go to work and the error is back.

The manual says its ok to ride as it sets the pressure to default 103 kPa, so I'll order one and see how it goes.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You ever try diagnostic mode to see if it outputs anything to the display other than an error message? I mean you should be able to blow on it and watch it change, but if its pegged at one end of the scale it might just be trashed!

It sure would be nice to do the swap! Also, you said you had the battery out - yes?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
... I mean you should be able to blow on it and watch it change, but if its pegged at one end of the scale it might just be trashed!...

If you "blow on it" you will not get any useful information about the condition of the sensor or the diagnostic display. It is installed at the end of a manifold of hoses to give a average intake vacuum reading between the cylinder head and the throttle bodies. The ECU uses this data to help determine fuel/air mixture and ignition timing.

I have said it twice already in this thread, but I'll try one last time:
This sensor measures VACUUM!

Good luck.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, battery has been out twice over the last week (once for a few hours overnight).

I think I'll just replace the sensor, when I jumped on to ride home from work today, the error has gone again, so it's not quite stuffed, but very close.

All the hoses are in good condition, no kinks, cracks or softening, so my uneducated guess is sensor.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful information, gotta love a forum full of helpful people.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you "blow on it" you will not get any useful information about the condition of the sensor or the diagnostic display. It is installed at the end of a manifold of hoses to give a average intake vacuum reading between the cylinder head and the throttle bodies. The ECU uses this data to help determine fuel/air mixture and ignition timing.

I have said it twice already in this thread, but I'll try one last time:
This sensor measures VACUUM!

Good luck.

OK - my bad I "DIDN'T SEE" that it DOES have a HOSE connected to it so I thought it was sampling the atmospheric pressure/absolute pressure which is what I said up there several times. I have sense looked at shop manual and see in this picture it does in fact connect to the intake manifold for vacuum to send the ECM the relative pressure (vacuum is blue in Picture below). You will notice this is a pressure compensated sensor so that tiny hole on the top side allows it to compensate for changes in altitude. Because it's so sensitive IT WILL CHANGE THE READING BY BLOWING ON IT! If it doesn't its because its broke. The goal being; DOES IT CHANGE AT ALL, OR IS IT STUCK REPORTING THE SAME WRONG VALUE ALL THE TIME! Then again, broke is broke so i guess it doesn't matter.

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for enlightening me! lol

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update!!! After I spent some time at Jamie's (Wolfman) house, we cleaned the plug and pins with Isopropyl Alcohol and the error went away.
Rode to work the next day and no problems... Kicking myself that it was that simple.

Started the bike the next day and the error was back. Didn't have a choice, had to ride to work as my mum-in-law needed her car, so endured that horrible bright orange light on the dash for my 30 minute ride. Came out after work, started the bike and the error has gone again.

I'm thinking the sensor is almost stuffed, so will order one and see what happens.... Although, after looking at the pic above
http://www.600riders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1341&pictureid=8896
I remember seeing that area on mine but no tiny hole was visible... May be just clogged up with dust and crap.

I'm off to lift the tank and have another looky :)

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking the sensor is almost stuffed, so will order one and see what happens.... Although, after looking at the pic above
http://www.600riders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1341&pictureid=8896
I remember seeing that area on mine but no tiny hole was visible... May be just clogged up with dust and crap.

Another update.

I did lift the tank again (after I rode to work for a week to use the fuel up...lol) and cleaned the area around the little on on the top left of the sensor. Mine doesn't have a little hole, there's like a .. Hmm, how do you describe it... almost like it's been sealed up with a drop of molten plastic. I poked at it with a pin to see if it would move, but nothing.

It's running fine and the light has only come on once in the past week (for about 2 seconds when I started it one morning), so I'll just leave it for now.