Front tire v. rear tire wear?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone else tend to wear out their front tires at about the same rate as the rears?

I DO!

Seems most people report going through 2 rear tires to 1 front but my fronts always wear out at the same rate as my rears. I do mostly curvy road riding, rarely WOT and use mostly front brake so maybe that's the reason? The outsides of my fronts always wear out by the time the rear is flat spotted down to the wear bars.

Is it my riding habits or something else?

I've gone through 2 sets of Michelins, 1 set of Pirelli's and 2 sets of BT's with similar results. The Michelins outlast the others by far (6,000 miles or so on Pilot Power 2 CT's).

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Case in point; 2012 rear tire gone in one season. Front lasted another ~1400 miles into 2013 or so before it was done. Front had tread in the middle but was past the wear bars on the sides. Back was at wear bars all over.. .. ..

I ride for pleasure only and have an abundance of twists to remove tread from those tires... :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
So if you drive like a sane commuter then it's perfectly likely to wear them both at the same rates then. If I commuted on a highway I'm sure the rear would wear out in the middle faster.

I'm sure high rpm engine braking and using the rear brake to stop contributes a lot. I'm going on 4,500 miles on my rear Pilot Power 2CT and the center still has another 1,000 miles to go at this rate to hit the wear bars! I'm very happy with these tires and can imagine the Road 3's I want next will last much longer.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I mainly commute, the stock d252's lasted almost 9k with the front scalloping bad and the rear to the wear bars. The 009 Shinko's I have now are at 10k, the front shows some wear and the back is almost at the wear bars but squared off.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I mostly commute as well. Some spirited riding, but not much. I'd say they're both wearing close to the same rate, but it's all down the middle. Another couple thousand miles commuting, and my tires will be squared off completely.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recall the OEM tires made it to 8600 or so and along the way the front was all scalloped and looked of misery - until I pushed it in the corners at which point the front cleaned up nice and round again.
Also - at speeds over 30 it 80% front brake + engine and rear brake. Under 15 pretty much all rear brake.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone else tend to wear out their front tires at about the same rate as the rears?

I DO!

Seems most people report going through 2 rear tires to 1 front but my fronts always wear out at the same rate as my rears. I do mostly curvy road riding, rarely WOT and use mostly front brake so maybe that's the reason? The outsides of my fronts always wear out by the time the rear is flat spotted down to the wear bars.

Is it my riding habits or something else?

I've gone through 2 sets of Michelins, 1 set of Pirelli's and 2 sets of BT's with similar results. The Michelins outlast the others by far (6,000 miles or so on Pilot Power 2 CT's).
My tyres wear evenly, I find the road camber hurts the front more than the rear. Last set of AVON Storm II 7500 miles on them. The front seems to have a larger softer compound contact patch. I have the opportunity to run at >160kph most days with som nice curvry bits.

Neil

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Reason the rear tends to wear faster is because its your drive wheel, ie the harder you accelerate the more stress/friction on the tire. If you commute I'd bet they wear alot more evenly than a canyon carver ;)

fz05rider

Reaction score
Visit site
A questions; I picked the pair of Pirellis from cyclegear today and noticed that my front has much tread left on it while the rear is completely burnt out. These are the OEM tires that were on when the motorcycle was bought in 2006.

Do you all recommend that I replace the front tire anyway regardless of the wear based on how old it is (6-7 yrs old) and has had about 10k miles.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With 90k miles on the bike, I've gone through some sets. On every set, my front tires wear quicker, almost 2:1 ratio. Meaning that If I just replaced the front, I'm sure by the time my 2nd front wears, my rear will be due. But I've always replaced them as a set.

I have never experienced cupping. Since the OEM stock tires, I have always runned Michelin's Pilot Powers, 2Ct's and the Pures. Will get the PP3's next time around since they have discontinued the Pures.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Previous BT016's wore out at the same time. My last few sets of PP2CT rear and PP fronts wore our two rears to one front.
In the next couple of weeks I'm switching to Bridgestone BT023's and I'll give an updated report on them as they get used. :thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about asking the same question - I'd always thought the same thing and this set of tires is making me question that.

I ride in the city a lot, and my commute has tons of stoplights/traffic that causes me to apply the brakes firmly. Combine that with poor road conditions and not too many twisties around me, and my front wears out significantly before the rear. My Avon Storm II front kicked the bucket today and I'll probably be going with a PR2 replacement (I no longer get the employee discount on the Avons). I also wind up wearing out the front more on the center and the rear evenly, probably because I brake hard straight up and load the rear in a turn. My roads make it hard to get my chicken strips less than 1-2 mm (Time for the track).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So if you drive like a sane commuter then it's perfectly likely to wear them both at the same rates then. . . . . .

Are you insinuating that the 2:1 rear tire shredders are not sane commuters with pegs scraping at 80mph?? :eek: :BLAA: haha!