FZ1 Bars in UK??

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys!

I've been reading alot about the FZ1 bars, it totally makes sense why the FZ6 bars cause numbness and discomfort, both of which I suffer with, my wrists have to be bent in a way to push my hands outwards to hold onto the bars.

Problem is, I've been looking around at FZ1 bars and just can't find any in the UK or even EU for that matter.

The places in America charge like $44 just for shipping aswell as the bars ontop of that, I've never paid that kind of money for shipping even for bigger items!

Any ideas, or anyone in the UK that has any that I could buy? :)

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
I got mine from eBay, though I know it can be a little hit or miss, you could try local breakers yards if they carry bike parts? If they're networked, they may even know another yard with an FZ1 in?

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly don't know if there's any bike breakers around here I'll have to find out, other than that, I wouldn't mind some Renthals on my bike but I need ones that are like the FZ1 Bars, they look almost perfect!

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the links, how come they're so expensive here in the UK? Its crazy! Renthals are only half the price :(

On the first link I got this - This part number (2D1261110100) has been superseded to 2D1261110200

And sent over to https://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/partimage.asp?gpn=2D1261110200&uid=0

I think I've been on this one, but I've no idea if it means theyre the same style of bar or anything since there is no image :(

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah right, guess I'll do some more research and look at getting them as the original bars are hurting my wrists on longer rides!!

EDIT: Theyre on amazon here - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-2D1261110200-Handlebar/dp/B008S1CNVM"]Amazon.com: Yamaha 2D1261110200 Handlebar: Automotive[/ame]

Aparrently the FZ1-S 2012 bars. Are these the same as older models?

On the older model bars on Amazon it says "Replaced By New # 2D1-26111-02-00"

Comes to a total of GBP 44.07 from Amazon with shipping and import!!!

EDIT2: Took the plunge. Will keep you guys updated. :)

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
It should be the same, depending on the country the FZ1 can be called FZ1 Fazer, FZS1000, Fz1-s, all the same, different name.

They sometimes update part numbers for no real reason other than adapting to the new model name.

There are a couple things you need to know about the installation.

-You will have to either drill the bar to fit one of the control pods, i think it was the right side, but i might be wrong. Some people chose to grind the plastic nob from the pod, i chose to drill. It's easy, just mark it taking the stock bar as an example, drill a pilot hole, drill a bigger hole.

- The front brake master cylinder will be at a weird angle. You will have to loosen the bolt holding the brake hoses to the master cylinder a tiny bit, and rotate them slightly to minimize kinking of the hose. Don't loosen to much so as not to let air in the system.

- The FZ1 bar has a hole on the right hand side that is unused on the FZ6, i chose to fill it with silicone, don't want to give water a chance to get in.
You can see it in this pic, just left of the pod:

DSC_40542_zps0ba03e5f.jpg

- Be careful, it's easy to put the bars to low and they could touch your tank and dent it, make sure you have full range of travel lock to lock before you go.
My bars are pretty much horizontal, but clear the tank by less than a cm.

- While you are at it, change the grips! The stock grips are hard, slippery and are just plain crap. I have some Progrips 717, cheap on eBay, easy to instal and a lot nicer!

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Thanks alot for all of the advice, really gonna help for when they arrive, I'll make sure to save! Delivery estimate was 12th December-21st December but sometimes I've had things come faster than that so not sure!

As for grips, I've had the ProGrip 724s on my watching list for a while now, are they like an upgraded version or something? Not too sure since they're practically the same price!

Can't wait to try them out, hopefully they fix my main gripe with the bike, other than the seat, but I guess that's me, coming from supermotos... BUT I will be getting a Shad seat for christmas hopefully, a little treat for myself ;)!

EDIT: Maybe get me some GEL grips, since I get numbness sometimes, then again I guess that could be due to the posture of these bars.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
The progrips are just different model numbers for different design, the 724 isn't 7 better than the 717, it's just a different design.

They are both dual densities, and would most likely perform exactly the same.
The biggest plus about them is that they are a lot stickier, allowing you to get the same amount of grip without holding the bars as tight.
I literally just rest my hands on the bars and still feel like my hands are never going to slide off, just because of the grip. Also they are softer and absorb more vibrations.

Considering the price i would give it a go.

One thing i forgot to mention, don't tighten the handlebar clamp in an X fashion. You are supposed to tighten the front two bolts until they bottom out, then the rear two bolts.
Torque setting is 23Nm, which is really not much, so if you don't have a torque wrench to go crazy on them.

Lastly, if you have an air compressor, use it to put the grips on and off, no need for lube, just put the nozzle under the grip and shoot some compressed air between the bar and the grip. It should slide right on/off.

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up on the ProGrips, guess I'll have a look at all of the different ones and see which I prefer best!

Thanks alot for the tips, sadly I dont have a torque wrench but I DO have a air compressor, on my old bike I had trouble getting some grips on, then again they were oxford heated grips, not sure I could've done the same with those!

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks alot for that, just ordered myself some ProGrips 724 in Black for when my bars get here. Amazon said they were shipped today and gave me an estimated delivery of the 8TH of December, despite it saying like 12th-21st or whatever it said whilst I was buying them! :D

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen that forum once before, liked the link lol!

The service from Amazon its incredible, though.

Been sent by UPS...

Scheduled Delivery:
Wednesday, 12/03/2014, By End of Day

Last Location:
Arrived - Castle Donnington, United Kingdom, Tuesday, 12/02/2014

Checkout said avg 18th Dec, when it was shipped, 8th Dec, and now its scheduled for tomorrow! Awesome!

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
So my bars came today at 2pm. I ordered them at like 4pm GMT from America...

Best of all, they've arrived faster than my grips... LOL :thumbup:

2 Pics of the bars attached, on the second picture, what is that metal tab sticking out?

But yeah I don't know if I should fit them until I get my grips which looks like it'll be tomorrow! I'll see how easy the grips come off I guess :)

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
The metal tab is something to do with the FZ1, it is useless on the FZ6, some people grind it down, i left it there, it doesn't interfere with anything and is invisible as it under the bar.
The hole on the right side on your first picture is the one that is not used on the FZ6, you could already fill it with silicone so it has time to dry.
Don't do what i did the first time, filled the hole with silicone, tried to get the grips on with my air compressor before the silicone was dry, silicone got shot out of the hole everywhere... Not good!

The grips come of very easily, just use a thin screw driver between the bar and the grip and roll it all around the grip to break the glue and then stick you compressor nozzle in there and pull them out.

It's mad that it took less time for the bar to arrive than for the grips! I thought british mail was supposed to be super efficient!

Last edited:

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just put them on, they look great other than my front brake mount scratched the bar a tad because I lost grip of it!!

Put the original grips on as the others didn't turn up, but they should be here tomorrow if all goes well.

I'll have to find some silicone tomorrow when the new grips come and do it then, as for the compressor trick, my bits were too fat to fit in the gap between the bar and grip so I just used a thin screwdriver and moved it around then used some GT85, used hairspray to stick them back on, they seem solid for now, just gonna go easy with them when I try it.

As for needing to drill a hole, there were no holes on my stock grips from what I could see, the throttle assembly was free before I took it off which I would've guessed it would be for that as it was on my old GS500!

And yeah, I was pretty astonished too, grips were sent 2nd Class though but even still, US is a LOOONG way away, the grips were pretty local! - In general, Royal Mail isn't too bad, 75% of the time (for me) I get my parcels on time, but they're so unpredictable near Christmas time especially!

As for the angle of the bars, they feel much better just sitting still on the bike, my arms are much more relaxed even though I'm in a more aggressive stance, but then again I'll need to do a bigger ride to find out and that won't happen until it's warmer as its sub 0*c here!

Last edited: