FZ6 Engine

abg

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to street bikes (long history with dirt bikes) and was about to pull the trigger on an FZ6 when I made the mistake of reading Motrocycle magazine comparison tests.

Without fail all of them disliked the FZ6 engine saying that it lacked low end torque and required hunting for the right gear. Thus, for casual riding, it was not the best choice. Of course they all loved the SV650.

My question is, for those of you who own an FZ6, do you agree that the bike does not have sufficient torque (and perhaps power) in the lower RPMs? Do you need to dog the bike to have fun?

Thanks in advance.

Bottom line FZ6 is the way to go. It is a great bike, a whole lot faster that SV650 and it looks better if you ask me. It has a great mid range power, since you will be crousing 4-5 RPM, its just right. Real power kicks in at 7000RPM all the way up to 12000 easy. It will rip your arms off...LOL.
Fz6 over SV650 any day... all day. If you get FZ6 you will not be disapointed at all.
Good luck with your choice....:Flash:

I agree with staticghost. The FZ6 is by no means lacking horsepower or torque. Before purchasing my 2008 FZ6, I rode other bikes including a SV650, Ninja 650, and a Suzuki GS500F. While the FZ6 may not have the same levels of low end torque as the SV650, or Ninja 650, the FZ6 certainly has enough power to thrill. 5,000 rpms will get you 60 mph in 6 th gear. Roll the throttle a bit and you'll be running 80+. Once you push the tach needle past 7,000 rpms, you'll really need to hang on. The FZ6 transforms into a real animal at 7,000+. The FZ really shines in midrange torque and power, and this is exactly where most of us will be using it. I absolutely love the 4 cylinder exhaust note when compared to a V or parallel twin, and the bike just feels more refined than the twin cylinder bikes.

Bottom line... it's your money. Buy what YOU want.

Last edited:
I wrestled with this same decision and I've got short legs which immediately tilted the decision in favor of the SV (easier to lower seat height). But I ended up buying a new 2007 FZ6 and couldn't be happier. The FZ has WAY more power at high revs and has fuctional power at mid revs. If you want to pass someone at 50 MPH or higher there's no need to downshift, if you want to blow by them at hyperspeed downshift a gear or 2 and you go from 50 mph to 100 mph within seconds. The FZ is a higher performance bike than the SV and you won't outgrow it anytime soon and around town the tame low RPM torque actually make the FZ very comfortable to ride, especially when it's wet. I'm in Florida so I can't help but being caught in the occasional pop up shower. The FZ6 is like 2 bikes in one. Tame at low revs and a racing bike above 8,000 or 9,000 all the way to redline.

All the prospective owners need to realize that the reviews and comparison tests are from way back in 04. Since then the TPS and FI issues have been sorted out and there are no issues 06+. So ignore the old crap from the magazines and read the latest reviews. Also the SV looks ugly as **** and its fairing looks like it is depressed.

It's just fine on low end torque. Other bikes have more. and some others have less. The FZ6 is a rev monster, so some low end is lost in exchange for the ability to 100mph in second gear. If you do want a bunch of torque, an SV or thumper would be a better choice. It comes down to your decision.

One thing to consider is that the people who write articles for bike magazines are spoiled. Their job is to show up on monday morning, get handed the keys to a brand new HayaGSXRC51 2000cc race reproduction motorcycle, ride it around all week, and then write about it.

When you're that spoiled, you can find something wrong with any bike out there. And also, if they wrote an article saying,"The FZ6 is the perfect bike. You should save your money and get this instead of the litrebike." the manufacturers would not be happy. They want their biggest, most expensive bikes to get the best reviews. And so the reviewers always find a reason to complain about smaller cheaper bikes.

My 2 cents.

I too, was torn between the two. I chose the FZ in the end. Honestly, I never lack power. Yeah, the SV does have more tq, and does require less shifting to get moving. However, the FZ has way more personality and the power up top is unbelievable..

If you like to zip and zoom, go with the Fz. All you have to do is adjust your riding style. However, if you are narrow minded and unable to cope, go with Suzuki. I've ridden all types in my years and fact that I bought the Fz6 speaks for itself. GRUMPY

I think the FZ is a great motor from whoa to go...but if you think it does not have enough down low...just go -1 on the front sprocket....instant fix.

Best Motor in it's class by a mile...stomps all over everything else, period!

:thumbup:

Thanks to all of you for your quick feedback. As a follow-up, I should probably say that I would like to have fun while not dramaticaly breaking the law (75mph in a 55mph zone would probably be my limit... I am old what can I say). In your opinion would a bike with more low end grunt be more fun under this limitation?

14000 revs in the FZ6 baby! You KNOW you want 14000 revs!

If I bought an SV650, the first thing I'd do is buy their rear mudguard/chainhugger accessory. After that, I'd buy their tank-cover.

Mind you, the SV650 has fully adjustable front suspension. Perhaps that's a reason to get it?

Well... I just came back from the Poker Run in key west and I didn't miss any power, the FZ6 has enough. You may need a ilttle bit more torque at 100 Mph, wich you'll never reach in a dirty bike.

Thanks to all of you for your quick feedback. As a follow-up, I should probably say that I would like to have fun while not dramaticaly breaking the law (75mph in a 55mph zone would probably be my limit... I am old what can I say). In your opinion would a bike with more low end grunt be more fun under this limitation?

Does anybody want to address my most recent question?

can you go test ride one? My buddy has the SV650S and I rode it. I liked the power it made but it ran out revs too fast. I dig the 4 cylinders.

I wish I could but getting a test ride in Maryland is nearly impossible. Dealers either won't do it or they are out of the bikes. I don't like taking advantage of private sellers just for test rides.

The FZ6 definitely only really starts to make a decent amount of torque from about 6000rpm, any dyno map will show this.

Riding conservatively around the City, will only ever see you spending a lot of time below 6000rpm, unless you are accelerating, and at legal speeds around the city, you would be lucky to get the bike above 10000rpm in any gear.

But i dont see this lack of torque down low around town as a bad thing, it makes the FZ6 a nice gentle bike to ride when taking it easy, and in my opinion, there is still enough grunt on tap to be able to accelerate as you need in traffic, without having to perform lots of gear changes. IMHO

Alternatively, rev the FZ6 from 8000rpm, to 12000rpm, and that's where both maximum hp & torque resides, and then the FZ shows it's heritage.

:thumbup:

Those "limitations" don't change much. The bike has plenty of power for legal riding. Cruising in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear around town give you PLENTY of get up and go. I've never had a problem around town.

Although I'm happily bonded to my '07 FZ6, I would say that you will probably be happier with the SV650. I take it that you're going to get the naked version? If not, consider the ergonomics now of the SV650 and how you'll be less at an upright position. This was a major factor with me. I also had always wanted an inline four motorcycle (smoother, faster).

Although I'm happily bonded to my '07 FZ6, I would say that you will probably be happier with the SV650. I take it that you're going to get the naked version? If not, consider the ergonomics now of the SV650 and how you'll be less at an upright position. This was a major factor with me. I also had always wanted an inline four motorcycle (smoother, faster).

my thoughts also, I agree.

Back