Need Help FZ6 Fix/Rebuild To FZ6N

Dezia

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy Folks! Long time Rider & Reader, First time Poster

A Bit about my situation: I bought an FZ6 (2004) back in 2017. It had some light work done, but it ran great and I loved it. I've had a ton of fun with it, and never had any real issues. Near the End of this summer (2020) some folks boosted my motorcycle. It sucked, I filed a report and got the bike back a ~month later.

The following was removed and missing:
  • The Gas tank (Including fuel pump and bleed and drain hoses, still have the feeder hose)
  • Seat
  • Full Exhaust system
  • Tool kit
  • Battery

The following parts were damaged:
  • Clutch Cable
  • Ignition Lock
  • Seat Lock
  • Coolant Hoses (many pulled off, one was cut to remove the exhaust I think?)

Aside from those parts missing and some scratches, It looks to be just fine. Now I want to rebuild the bike into a street fighter, and (as it was running just fine before it was stolen) I would think it should run just fine when I get the missing parts and install them. I have not done anything like this before, but I think it would be a great way to salvage this beautiful motorcycle and keep it going despite the atrocities committed against it. Plus I've always like the Naked look.

So far: I have removed the faring, replaced the clutch cable, ordered a new ignition, seat lock, and tank cap, ordered a full exhaust system (excluding the silencer heat shield that I still need), gaskets and mounting pieces, ordered new hoses (for the coolant system), and purchased a battery. I've invested roughly $300 at this point, and before I invest any more (in the big ticket items) I would love some advice. The more steps I take forward, the more I realize I've overlooked steps/parts.

I'm looking for advice on several topics (Embedded Links):
  • Overall Cost Effectiveness and Whether this is Do-able (I estimate I'll need to spend an additional 1000~1200 more to get all the pieces I need/want does this seem right? Gas Tank/Pump 400-700, Headlights 200, Rear Lights & Blinkers 100, plus other pieces?) I don't have much in the way of tools, but I think I might be able to get by without investing too much in them (although I would like to at some point, I don't have a garage).
  • Buying a Used Gas Tank (Fit, Quality, Cost, Ect..)
    • There are several on Ebay right now, but I'm not 100% on the best bet. There is one I love the look of, but am wondering if it over priced at 320 + 80 for shipping? There is some cosmetic damage, and the cost to ship then return it would be half the price of the tank.
    • Can I use an FZ6 S2 tank on an 2004 FZ6 frame? There are a few more S2 tanks on Ebay so that would open up my options
  • Replacing the fuel pump (OEM vs Aftermarket ; New vs USED).
    • What will I need to replace the fuel pump esp if I use the aftermarket ones over the OEM? just visually I can see that the connections are different. Has anyone done this before who could share their experience? I don't really want to shell out $200 for a used OEM fuel pump (As many do not look great). Is there a good Aftermarket fuel pump that will get the job done?
  • Replacing the ignition (I learned it is installed with break away bolts, so I need to remove those to install the new one. I've heard several methods, dremel flat sides to grip with a vice, reverse drill bits? Pretty sure I can figure this one out)
  • Front Headlights for a N/Cafe racer style faring: I'm looking at this style of headlight (I think it would look great with the above gas tank). There is this one with a small windshield too (though it seems much cheaper that the above model, so I might pass)
  • Buying an Italian Seat (Saw this one on Ebay for 200 that looked pretty sweet, anyone have any experience with this brand/buying seats?)

To my knowledge these are some other misc parts I would need:

• A speedometer mounting bracket
  • A Fuel pump retaining ring, bleeder and overflow hoses
  • I still have the rear fairing, but it was scratched up by the folks who stole it, so maybe some stuff to fix the plastic and make it shine again
  • Blinkers
  • Underseat tool kit
  • Muffler Heat Shield

Is there anything obvious I might be overlooking that would prevent me from moving forward on this project? Anything I should check before I start putting more money into this? Feed back would be so much appreciated as I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on these items thinking there will be something major stopping me from getting the bike up and running again. If anybody takes an interest and would Like images, I can put them together in another post.

To anybody who read this whole thing, Thank you.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Might do a leak down test on the engine before going further.

You don't need any other parts, just the tool and an air compressor.
This is just to make sure the internals of the engine air intact and healthy..

Re the ignition switch bolts. Pull the upper triple (after jacking up/getting weight off the ft wheel).
Grind or drill the security head off the 2 bolts. The switch will then slide off. You'll have two long "studs" now left to grab with a vise grip(easy peazy). Replace bolts with security bolts or regular bolts...

I believe this is the aftermarket fuel pump folks have been using W/O incident: https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-2390...fuel-pump-for-yamaha-fz6-fazer-2004-2009.html

Also re the tank, there is an O-ring gasket you'll need besides the the retaining ring.

If you were happy with the stock seat, I'd look on Flea Bay (or this site under parts) for a stocker, considerably cheaper...

Everything your doing requires just basic tools, nothing Yamaha specific.

Anything can be fixed if you throw enough $ at it. Doing the labor yourself saves a BUNCH.
I'd do the leak down test first and make sure the engine isn't blown up/damaged. A compression test will also give a good idea but the leak down is more accurate..

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Go used where you can. Find the best used tank...you might get luck and even find one that already has the pump assembly. There are some large wreckers that don’t sell on eBay...do a quick search and you might get lucky.

I have an OEM seat that I can send you for the price of shipping. But do the leak-down test first. It sounds like the thief wasn’t very kind to your machine. There may be damage done that you can’t see.

Dezia

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! Much appreciated, glad there are some next steps I can take. I will look into completing the leak down test before I start anything else. Is this tool something I could rent? or will I need to buy it + get ahold of an air compressor? Looks like it's ~150 for a good one.

The thieves were not kind sadly. And @Gary in NJ I would absolutely take you up on that OEM seat offer assuming the engine isn't blown.

Is there any particular sites you use to look for wrecks? If not I'm assuming just google searches will do. Will an FZ6 S2 Tank fit on my frame? or should I just be looking for wrecks on the 2004-2007 model?

@TownsendsFJR1300 I do plan on doing all the work myself, so I'll hopefully be able to put some of that extra money into the bike. I'll get those bolts off and pick up that fuel pump if I can't find a tank with a pump!

Thanks for the quick replies!!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A leak-down test does require an air compressor. In the olden days I’d say something like “you’re gonna need a compressor anyway and to run a paint gun or quality air tools”, but I think battery powered tools have taken over. The last time I suggested an IR231 impact driver (the industry standard compact impact driver) I was met with “air tools? Really?” Anyway, I degress....

You don’t need a high quality leak-down tester, it’s something that you’ll only use a handful of times in your life. I’ve been using a kit I got from Harbor Freight for the last 25 years. It works great.

It’s gonna be a hit-n-miss to find a tank at a salvage yard. I just looked on eBay and saw a couple of fuel tanks in the $250 range that looked like they would look great with some fresh paint. If you are looking for a pristine tank with good OEM paint, yeah that’s gonna cost A lot more.

I’m not sure about fitment of tanks from various years. Maybe someone that has done a swap could chime in.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! Much appreciated, glad there are some next steps I can take. I will look into completing the leak down test before I start anything else. Is this tool something I could rent? or will I need to buy it + get ahold of an air compressor? Looks like it's ~150 for a good one.

The thieves were not kind sadly. And @Gary in NJ I would absolutely take you up on that OEM seat offer assuming the engine isn't blown.

Is there any particular sites you use to look for wrecks? If not I'm assuming just google searches will do. Will an FZ6 S2 Tank fit on my frame? or should I just be looking for wrecks on the 2004-2007 model?

@TownsendsFJR1300 I do plan on doing all the work myself, so I'll hopefully be able to put some of that extra money into the bike. I'll get those bolts off and pick up that fuel pump if I can't find a tank with a pump!

Thanks for the quick replies!!

So I have a Silver gas tank available. It was on the bike when I lowsided in June 2020, so there are some dents in it. If you want to fix it and keep it, its your for the shipping and handling. If you are interested I can send some pics.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have this leak down tester (but use it fairly often on smaller engines I work on):

Many auto parts stores lend tools, dunno if they'd have a leak down tester for "borrow".
As stated earlier, a compression tester would work, if one cylinder is considerably lower (or all low),
you'd have to dig deeper.

A small pancake compressor is about $100. Just need to get to about 100PSI (tops) for the LD tester. Any compressor (if you have the room), is a MUST for airing tires, etc so might be a good investment.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

A small pancake compressor is about $100. Just need to get to about 100PSI (tops) for the LD tester. Any compressor (if you have the room), is a MUST for airing tires, etc so might be a good investment.

Oh the noise of a pancake compressor...

I usually do my leak-down tests at 80psi. It's a lot easier to hold an engine at 80psi and the extra 20 psi doesn't provide any additional information. If a cylinder can hold 76/80 I'm happy. If it's 72/80 it has my attention for something to watch. If it's below 72/80 I'll be listening for air escaping from the exhaust, intake or breather.