Fz6 vs CBR f4I

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I would share my thoughts as I've seen this talked about many time and I was curious myself. Thus the purchase..
So I have always wanted the 01-03 cbr 600 f4i since it came out. 2 years ago when I was ready to buy a bike I couldn't find one that wasn't beat with a ton of miles so I went with the 07 fz6. The fz6 is a great bike but most of us want more power and wonder about the cbr and how it compares as the f4i is a bit more comfortable than the rr's or r6's. So a few weeks ago I happened to find an 02 f4i with 900 original miles and been stored since 03. A flawless bike and hidden gem to me anyway. Took possession of the cbr on Tuesday, after all new plugs, oil, coolant, and brake fluid ( and an m4 carbon exhaust just because :) I finally rode the damn thing yesterday for an hour or two. My thoughts:
The cbr defiantly looks better and it wins in every aspect of performance hands down. Clutching up the fz6 for a short wheelie is fun but the bike lacks the power to keep it there. The cbr will reach balance point and stay up there for a hundred yards as long as you have the throttle control. Also, the cbr will power wheelie in second, something the fz6 doesn't know a thing about. The feeling of mashing the throttle and feeling the front come up covering so much road on the rear wheel is amazing! But, after my ride I got home and was sore as hell, everything hurt. The riding position is harsh, Im 28 so Im not even stiff yet, lol. So for the hell of it I took out the Yamaha to see what I thought one after another. The fz6 is sooo much more comfortable to ride and was refreshing as I smiled the whole ride.
In conclusion, its not as fast or won't turn as good but all in all, for the most of the riding you're really going to do, the fz6 is a better bike. The cbr is a ton of fun but the comfort level of the fz6 is just too good to justify selling it for the cbr as my neck is still sore this morning from the cbr. Maybe i'll add sprockets and a PCIII to the Yamaha.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i thought the CBR600F would be more like the fz6 than the RR. detuned engine, different riding position, and most of the other parts are dfiferent too

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up and interesting reading.

Also the fz6 can power wheelie quite well if you hit it at the right mark

Timbostang

Reaction score
Visit site
I can power the fz in first but not second. It is a much more comfortable bike but sometimes I miss the raw power my gsxr750 had.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I went from a 2000 kawasaki ZX-6R (pretty much identical to the F4i except carbed) to my FZ6 for the comfort reasons. Even though the F4i/ZZR are couches compared to modern day supersports. If i did more trackdays or was a more aggressive rider, the Kawi or F4i would've been the perfect bike. I've had the FZ6 registered for 2.5 weeks now and don't miss the Kawi.

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up and interesting reading.

Also the fz6 can power wheelie quite well if you hit it at the right mark

In 2nd? I have a motocross racing background and weight 165lbs. My fz6 does not have the power to lift in 2nd, period. It will come up off a suspension bounce in 1st, but thats not really a power wheelie... It will clutch up nice in 1st but once you let off its going down where as the cbr has the power to bring it back up if you let off a bit. Keep in mind im talking, seated. If you are talking about standing on rear pegs, thats a different story.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
In 1st if you hold the throttle at about 5-6k it will power right up with no hoping while sitting, I have gotten it to power up in 2nd while bouncing it but I don't like doing that, to much abuse just for a wheelie

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If power is the issue the problem to wheelie is not that you have the wrong 600cc engine...the problem is that you have a 600cc engine! You want to wheelie get yourself an SV1000!

After riding an R6 I will never own a sport bike. The FZ6 is as sporty as a motorcycle need be for anything on public roads anyway....and infinitely more comfortable than a supersport.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
600's will come up, but you usually have to clutch them. Nailing my FZ6 in at around 6-7k would make it power wheelie, but nothing spectacular. My Monster 696 will power wheelie better, but it's 100lbs lighter and makes 11 more lb-ft of torque. I've never gotten around to trying clutch wheelies. Shoot, most of my power wheelies are accidents. But like someone said, if you're looking for power wheelies, you need a liter bike.

And it's more comfortable than the FZ6 was. Even with the more aggressive position and the comfort seat on the 6.

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
If power is the issue the problem to wheelie is not that you have the wrong 600cc engine...the problem is that you have a 600cc engine! You want to wheelie get yourself an SV1000!

After riding an R6 I will never own a sport bike. The FZ6 is as sporty as a motorcycle need be for anything on public roads anyway....and infinitely more comfortable than a supersport.

Thats not the case, the cbr 600 will power up every time in 2nd. The fz6 is a detuned 600 that lacks the power to do so. The FZ6 is not a super sport and should not have the power of the cbr to begin with so its not surprising.
Also the the r6 has the most aggressive ergos out of all of them, thus my reasoning for the f4i. Its the most relaxed out of any of the super sports. My neighbor has an gsxr600 and its ergos are way more aggressive than the f4i, had them side by side sitting on both. Its a pretty good difference.

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've accidentally powered it up in 1st and 2nd (165lbs - butt positioned back to the hump). I think 1st could be held. In 2nd, it would run out of steam before a balance point could be maintained.

I'd like to be able to, but really, 2 wheels is pretty damn fun.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I've accidentally powered it up in 1st and 2nd (165lbs - butt positioned back to the hump). I think 1st could be held. In 2nd, it would run out of steam before a balance point could be maintained.

I'd like to be able to, but really, 2 wheels is pretty damn fun.

Oh yeah it takes some practice but I can hold it all the way to redline, I wish I could find that balance point to not have to wind it out but I'm no stunter just like acting a fool every so often lol

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol yeah that's fun too! Another reason why I buy cheep tires, I abuse the hell outta them

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I had a 2000 CBR600F4 and my 2004 FZ6 at the same time for a few months. I bought the FZ6 as my F4 was killing my forearms when riding more than 15 minutes. I did a lot of track days on the F4 and it was appropriate for that, but I'm quite happy with the FZ6 now.

I wish the FZ6 wasn't so detuned, but it is what it is. An FZ1 will probably be my next bike, but the 2004 FZ1 I test rode felt like a pig, so I went with the FZ6.

Maybe I'll throw a sprocket on my FZ6 too....