Geraldton trip - my biggest ride yet :)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, compared to a lot of members it wasn't a HUGE road trip, but it was a lot of kms for me. I have to get a lot of practice in preparation for the big "Tassie" trip next year :)

Left Perth yesterday morning and travelled 400kms to Geraldton - North of Perth. Not a bad ride up there - travelled via the Brand Highway - Bullsbrook, Cataby, Badgingarr, Eneabba, Dongara and Geraldton. The roads were pretty quiet - AFL Grand Final was on so most West Aussies were tucked up in front of the TV watching it.

Stayed the night there but, unfortunately, didn't get to see much of Geraldton yesterday. The apartment where we stayed was right behind a really good bar and restaurant, Lat28, and there, stayed there all afternoon/evening drinking beer and ****tails :cheer:

Left Geraldton this morning 9am, and took the scenic route - Geraldton, Dongara, Mingenew, Three Springs, Carnamah, Moora, Mogumber, Bindoon, Chittering, Bullsbrook.

Had to make a few more stops than anticipated on the way back - had to stop and clean the visors constantly - really bad bugs! Always a big SPLAT in my line of vision.

Anyway, over 800km round trip. The bike (and the XJR) went like a dream. Guys, I almost red lined it ;) Got to 13000 RPMS and sooked out. I finally found her sweet spot though - my God, at 12000 RPMS my Scorpions absolutely howl :rockon:

One problem, my hearing is really bad today. I have a high pitched ringing - a lot is due to wind noise. Hopefully it will clear by tomorrow.

I have never ridden in such windy conditions - even though the weather was beautiful. At 130 kms + (oops, that's not the legal limit :spank:) the wind was incredible. Had to ride dead centre in my lane or I would be pushed over the white line. I think I need to build my strength up a little - neck got battered a bit. Bum was a little sore - new TS seat will sort that out. Right wrist would get a bit numb/sore as well, but nothing too bad.

Anyway, enough of the chat - here are a few photos. BTW, the photo of the tree is indicitive of the windy area we were in - check the tree out! Also, the pub at Three Springs - we were going to have a drink, but the town was dead! The sign on the door said open at 4pm - WTF - this is
Australia ;)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a nice trip. Great pics too.

As a tip, I always carry some alcohol wipes in a flat pack for visor wiping. They need to be pretty moist though for bug removal. Some of the cheapo ones you get at the chemist dry out as soon as you pull them out of the bag.

As for revving to red line....I dunno how your PCIII is tuned but with stock fuelling it's not worth revving past about 12,200rpm.

Do you use ear plugs or headphones at all? I can hear phone calls, music, and my bike using my headphones, but the wind noise is almost non-existent :thumbup:.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the earplugs Karen. And you know what's missing in your pics!! YOU!!! No matter, I have it from a good source that there will be pics of you from the Tassie Tour. ;)
Love that tree and bikes looking good!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your trip! Nice photos! Like the leaning tree! Is that a real sheep on the balcony?

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing Kaz , that XJR1300 is S E X Y :drool: :BLAA: The leaning tree is pretty cool & earplugs will fix the wind noise :thumbup: Ohh yeah and baby wipes are great for insect roadkill :D

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a real sheep, but it did fool us!

I forgot my ear plugs - won't do that again.

Should have taken more photos but who wants to stop riding all the time to take pics :)

As for red lining it - still have to do it. At 10000 revs the bike was awesome :rockon:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a real sheep, but it did fool us!

I forgot my ear plugs - won't do that again.

Should have taken more photos but who wants to stop riding all the time to take pics :)

As for red lining it - still have to do it. At 10000 revs the bike was awesome :rockon:

Great pics, K. Thanks! It becomes a different bike above 10K doesn't it??

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I grew horns! :spank:

Especially overtaking one seemingly slow car in a 110 zone..... It was a long straight road with great visibility. I MAY have broken the speed limit ...... but it was fun :D

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday Kazza,

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for the pics also
Really windy conditions can be a bit hairy. I always tend to ask the question when battling the elements -
"By your powers combined, I am Captain Pla...." (Sorry wrong forum...)
*Ahem* Do I grit my teeth, throttle on, and lean lower or do I just grit my teeth, throttle on, and lean lower?:D

Sometimes difficult questions need easy answers

Glad you had a great time. I feel for you guys regarding the beer - 4pm? :confused:

Humperdinkel - Baby wipes! Brilliant!:thumbup:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
nice pics of a gorgeous ride, yeah wind is a son of a ..... especially in open spaces, hope u do more trips of this kind the fz and mikes xjr sure love them!