Has your bike ever hit the ground?

Has your bike ever touched pavement?

• No, my bike has never been dropped, or layed down. It's still a minter.

Votes: 393 36.6%
  • Yes, the side of my bike has touched pavement.

Votes: 681 63.4%

• Total voters

MSH

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be wearing plenty of protective gear :p

I was unlucky enough to break my back in 3 places, a few ribs, my sternum, did both hips, left knee and wrist and right ankle lol. Lost the use of my left leg but hoping to regain feeling at some point

Hopefully this works (might wanna turn down the volume - is a tad noisy for a 125)

[video]https://www.facebook.com/ian.wilcox.370/videos/991293550934318/[/video]

I dig the stick shift!

Plymothian

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a few beers the other night and then got bored. A stupid part of my brain said "it'll be a good idea to wash the bike now". So I did. I got it out of the garage, lost my balance and the bike went over on it's side. Thankfully there was no damage (which is amazing because it took me a good 30 seconds to pick it up again). SLight scratch on the bar end and mirror but nothing too noticeable. I think my saving grace was the top box which seemed to take the brunt of the drop. The brake lever was very slightly bent inward towards the bars, but again no damage done. it actually helped me out because I have short fingers and now don't have to reach forward as far for the brake lever!

Paulie Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't dropped new purchase yet, had a fzs 6 before, luckily never dropped it, GSXR 750 before that, threw me off twice.. tank slap's after a wheelie, Even with a steering dampner !
Touching wood here..

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, sadly as of last Monday my Fazer is dead. Filtering past stationery traffic someone got impatient and u-turned out of it with indication warning too late, no mirror checks. I flew about 20 feet when I hit the driver's side wheelarch head on (you can't swerve properly in very little space), went over the bonnet etc but apart from some neck/pain/shoulder pain I'll get physio for no broken bones. Bike is a wreck though, front fairing in tatters, indicators snapped off, frame cracked, front wheel pushed into the downpipes. It died saving my ass, noble beast. Driver of the car is 100% liable, just a matter of waiting a long old time for the claims (insurance his end and personal injury via his insurance) to go through.

As luck would have it my uncle had a couple of Fazers at his dealership. One is an 05 in black (with the older kind swingarm) which I liked but not quite as much, and as luck would have it an 07 FZ6 S2 in the same colour, minus the topbox mount mine had with stock rear indicators replaced with tiny LEDs and in overall better condition/lower mileage than when I got mine. ONE, count it, ONE previous owner, the guy traded up to an FZ1. Excellent service history. A few tiny things aside this is a nice, clean example of the bike:

IMG_20151212_112520_zpsaqjruzx2_edit_1450286345677_zpsrnecdqxh.jpg

IMG_20151212_112540_zps3hkgn4bg.jpg

IMG_20151212_112546_zpsuqu5uqq6.jpg

She's a beaut. Hope this one lasts longer than my previous two bikes - I suppose where I'm doing 20,000 miles or so a year mostly for the work commute my risk is higher. Thinking of doing it up a bit nicer with the insurance money, i.e. a full rack for top box and panniers, blacked out Puig double bubble screen,

I can't take this Fazer just yet as the financiers have stated that they want my previous claim/loan settled before they can authorise a new one, I'm stuck on a courtesy XJ-6 SP (naked) with horrible cheap Bridgestone tyres that want to wobble at every opportunity, bobby suspension, poor balance (too light at the front) and a restricter. Despite the weaker/limited engine it burns through fuel and runs hotter than my previous Fazer ever did.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
I was always happy to post mine has never touched the ground, That changed last month when a woman backed up directly into my bike while it was parked. Over $3000.00 worth of damage. Good thing she stuck around and had insurance!

C

cowboy

It happened the first month i got the 06 fizzer. Good thing she was a used bike and i had a good deal on her. One day i stopped my bike at the red light. However, the road was cambered with left side lower than the right side. With inexperienced back then, i was very fresh out of bike school. I use my right foot for the rear brake and plant my left foot on the ground. And guess what? Cambered road sucks. I tried reaching the ground with left foot that the bike decided she should lay down on the ground to mock me. And boom! Had to shamefully pick my bike up with all eyes on me.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
It has now. After three years and 43,000 miles I finally lucked out, and came unstuck on a big streak of farmers mud along a road in the dark. Both mirrors are gone, brake lever and pedal are gone, but the crash bung did it's job and saved everything else.
a4ee7214cb279ea1be80503f8e6b0ad3.jpg
252ac21a6e77c0e3d2fbf62e680a0fd8.jpg
263e50f1c654c5ad01bed8935739c782.jpg
0ebce24b9b07a04626b3f61cd6cae247.jpg
196d7b9554ff2822099c6109bb809a61.jpg

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It has now. After three years and 43,000 miles I finally lucked out, and came unstuck on a big streak of farmers mud along a road in the dark. Both mirrors are gone, brake lever and pedal are gone, but the crash bung did it's job and saved everything else

Really sorry to hear that m8, terrible new years present :eek: hope you got it (are getting it) up and running again.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, it's all good. I managed to get a few hours work on her over the weekend, in some daylight. I loosened off the forks and retorqued from the axle up. I couldn't see any twist in the front end, but for the sake of 20 minutes work, why not? I also loosened and retorqued all the engine mounts. Taking the used crash bung off was a nightmare, as the used part had melted over the bolt. All that was extra was a couple of dents in the tank from the switchgear after the bars rotated: I can live with that on a commuter.

As for my kit, I'm very tempted to take the trousers in to a seamstress and use the material from my jacket to patch them up. I'll have a check of the seams tomorrow. The jacket itself is old anyway, and probably overdue replacement.

Shiny gold levers, brake pedal from a written off bike, new crash bungs, and I thought I'd try some underhand bar end mirrors. All on route via eBay.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay Payneib! Been there and been hurt pretty bad. Got back in as soon as my boss let em out of the vise.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I got away lucky. Driving on the left, lowsiding on a right hander, sent me away from traffic. The bike went across traffic but there was plenty of time for the car's coming the other way to stop. It was quite surreal as I went down. It was just like lying down, I could have even had a beer in hand as I watched the bike slide away.

The good news is, my right side hero blob/peg scraper now looks like I can seriously corner! Lol ;)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
69a955564a4c0578453e03f2a1effbab.jpg

She's all back together now. Liking the underhand mirrors so far. Just a quick service and some gear shopping to do next weekend.

Ridn4FunFixn2Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Done that...Last Thursday..lowside gravel patch laid-me-down on a right hand 90...Not too fast ...frame slider did its work...bike ok...me a bit bruised up on lower leg..picked up..rode home...let's get on with it.

Noted nice engineering...minimal scuff on fairing and none on hard parts (other than bar end) due to factory slider (now destroyed). Right hand turn flasher popped out of rubber base ...as designed...and easily reset with fairing off and a philips screwdriver.

Question....Where can I locate a replacement stock slider 2004 ..aluminum with threaded plastic knob? Picked up and aftermarket but it's not quite as long.. or nice looking (all plastic) or sturdy as the stock.

Thanks for listening

CTSP509

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, my son dropped mine recently with almost 20,000 miles on it. Tank is still at the body shop. There is a first time for everything I guess.

Last edited:

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped mine once, but had frame sliders on it. It rashed my mole, mirror, bar end, lever, and frame sliders of course. It basically slid down hill on gravel after we fell over. No paint damage.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

malloc()

Reaction score
Visit site
I fall from my in December. She was pristine, but nothing that some black ice in a junction can not solve. Was at low speed, so nothing happened to me, it was like 10km/h, but she had some damage.
The engine cover all scratch, went from black to clean aluminium color. The passenger footpeg and the side cover scratched. The front cowling scratched and cracked, not sure if the support between frame and cowling is warped, need to take time to disassemble that and see what I have to change there.

So, it was a slow crash, but seems that won't be cheap. I'm changing the engine cover and gasket soon and I'll do the rest when the weather allows me.