Help, engine sounds like a washing machine full of bricks

Bishbash

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm after some advice, I've got an '04 FZ6 with 42k on the clock. When cold it runs like a dream, but when it's hot I get a clicking noise, which I've attributed to the cam chain tensioner.

However under load, when warm, in first and second it sounds like the engine is falling to bits, the rattling, bashing, metallic knocking noise coming from within the engine under load, it really is a racket.

Anyone know what could be the cause?

It sound like there's no oil in it but I've checked and that's fine, however the oil does smell of fuel.

Also when I changed the air filter I noticed fuel in the bottom of the rear section of the air box which I imagine was from the overflow feed from the fuel tank. Could this be a likely culprit?

Thanks in advance guys

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can make a video or even audio that would be best - but off hand it doesn't sound well at all. When is the last time the oil was changed and was there anything found in the drain pan?

youtube search for the following and maybe post some that sound about the same as yours??

Yamaha - Rod Knock
Yamaha - Rod Failure
Yamaha - Failed cam chain tensioner
Yamaha - clutch blew up
Yamaha - marbles

I doubt the fuel in the filter are is related directly but may be a secondary issue. If the CCT is failing, it can alter / retard the cam timing. And this may allow fuel vapor to revert into the intake.

Be careful about running it and causing further damage.

Bishbash

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I'll have a look into those. But like you've said, I don't really want to ride it so not sure I can get a vid of the noise.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This one sounds to have lost a rod bearing.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOoTkm_zNw0[/ame]

This one - clutch plates through the main drive gears - sound should be 100% all the time.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz4mu2HOr-I[/ame]

Our own forum has a few so do a little scan here...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm after some advice, I've got an '04 FZ6 with 42k on the clock. When cold it runs like a dream, but when it's hot I get a clicking noise, which I've attributed to the cam chain tensioner.

However under load, when warm, in first and second it sounds like the engine is falling to bits, the rattling, bashing, metallic knocking noise coming from within the engine under load, it really is a racket.

Anyone know what could be the cause? Short of the warm engine, that noise sounds like a worn out drive chain binding up. How many miles on the chain, any kinks as the chain rotates off the front sprocket?

It sound like there's no oil in it but I've checked and that's fine, however the oil does smell of fuel. Is the oil level higher than last time you checked it?
Even if it doesn't and fuel got in the oil, you may have stuck open fuel injector allowing fuel into the oil. I would change the oil in either case as it is likely diluted with the fuel mix

Also when I changed the air filter I noticed fuel in the bottom of the rear section of the air box which I imagine was from the overflow feed from the fuel tank. Could this be a likely culprit? Overflow fuel from the fuel tank drains thru one of two tubes which exit on the RS, just forward of the rear wheel.(unless its disconnected. Tiltling the tank up some and gently tugging on the lines will ascertain if its hooked up and NOT kinked

Thanks in advance guys

The first pic of the tank shows the two nipples, one for overflow, one for venting. The second pic shows the same two lines just inside the tank.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
<< SNIP >>
I doubt the fuel in the filter area is directly related but it may be a secondary issue. If the CCT is failing, it can alter / retard the cam timing. And this may allow fuel vapor to revert into the intake.

Key take away from OP post is its temperature related: So, what if it's simply BAD GAS AND IT'S KNOCKING / DETONATING!?! That sounds a lot like a brick in washer and would not be present when cold, but if bad enough i.e. spark knock, detonation, it would be present when hot!
You ever hear diesel engine start; some sound like marbles in a tin can sound? Does it sound like that?
How old is the gas? Where did the last fuel up come from?
AND WHEN does it make this sound, Is it only when accelerating?

If that is not it, I'd pull the CCT and test it. And by test it, I mean for more than just free extension. You, you have to apply pressure to it from partially collapsed, turn the screw and apply hand pressure again.

You can remove the cover but its not really going to help anything. The chain WON'T FALL off or move as long as you do not rotate the engine!!! while CCT is removed.

CCT
55623-cam-chain-tensioner-differences-img_20141123_164658_655-jpg

Chain access:
55635-valve-clearance-adjustment-dsc_7955-jpg

Listen to typical deisel knock sounds about 30 sec in to this. Again at 1:30 idle sounds from engine not exhaust. On our small exposed aluminum engines, detonation, spark knock, pre-ignition; what ever you want to call it - it SOUNDS BAD?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KaFgV5thY4[/ame]

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[snip]Listen to typical deisel knock sounds about 30 sec in to this. Again at 1:30 idle sounds from engine not exhaust. On our small exposed aluminum engines, detonation, spark knock, pre-ignition; what ever you want to call it - it SOUNDS BAD?
YouTube

Holy hell. You know what would be interesting? A contest where the winning engine sounds the worst but can still turn over and idle on it's own. All kinds of sounds you could take advantage of to make a junkyard symphony.

Bishbash

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies chaps. I am trying to get it booked back into the shop. Sounds like a decent service has got to be first on the list though.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just re-read your first post. (I thought it was changed out already)

If your pretty sure the CCT is toast, its cheap enough and I would repair that first.

You know its bad, it can make a racket rattling around in the block. Fix that first and go from there..

Good luck and please post your findings.