Hesitating about buying an FZ6

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just want some advice here for a minute. I have a 2000 Kawasaki Ninja 250, its my first bike and I love it. It puts a big ol smile on my face every time I ride it. I do everything from long commutes (I work in NYC but live in Philly) to to even longer touring (last year hit Florida Keys and this year either my 250 or the FZ6 if I buy it are going cross country) to twisties to Ive even taken it briefly off road a couple times (nothing too fast).

Ive been feeling like Im ready for a new bike for some time now. I top my Ninja 250 out practically every time I hit the highway (95-105 mph depending on the wind/incline) and enjoy pushing the bike to its limits on curvy roads (way more fun than straight line highways). Everything I love about the Ninja, even the getting blown around on the highways Ive gotten used to and actually love how light the bike is.

So today I test rode a 2006 FZ6 and I mostly liked the bike, the power was definitely an upgrade and I think its a good deal at $2000 (negatives are 27-28k miles, bald tires and a few scratches plus a small crack at the point where the fairing points out from being dropped once) I felt like it would be more comfortable then my Ninjette for my upcoming cross country trip as well.

The one thing I noticed right away though is how heavy it felt when steering at lower speeds. Almost like coming from a car with power steering to one without and I felt at times I had to wrestle with it because it wanted to, especially in regards to the handlebars, go one way when I wanted to go the other. I didnt get to do much more than hit 70 in a straight line or turn at slow speeds so I have no clue how the bike handles curvy roads, or the zigzagging I often end up doing in NYC, at speed. Is the weight something that you get used to after a while or will I always miss my 250 for anything but a straightaway?

I can afford to keep both bikes for a little while but eventually one or the other will need to go. Should I not bother buying the FZ6 or does everyone here love there's so much you think I should go for it? I would like to get back to the guy in the morning if I can so I hope some of you are awake.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Edit: Also a note, I ride all year long in any weather; rain, snow, hail or sun and once even had the 250 slip out from under me by attempting to go down an unplowed street with at least a foot of snow on it. Just hurt my pride.... and a blinker. Theres not much I wont attempt to ride in.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I love cutting through the traffic on the Fz6 in the city.

I don't actually feel that it handles heavy in the low speed. It feels actually pretty light. But considering that my last bike was a 650lb cruiser you can see that I am biased.

How long have you been riding?

I have only 2 years under my belt and I am on my 3rd bike already.

I still don't know how to feel about the FZ6. I miss my Zooki Boulevard, but the Fz6 is more practical.

I would say go for it.

If you don't like it just sell it.

I would consider however finding a better deal. Look at the bikes for sale section here.

You can get some really good deals with bikes already tricked out.

Dougie

Reaction score
Visit site
Reason you find it strange is due to them being totally different machines,yea you will adjust to the Fazer,i had the opposite problem,i came off a ZZR1100 onto the Fazer and found it very light and easy to throw about,other benifits you will have is the extra cc,s mean that distance touring is gonna be a lot less work on the bike at your prefered speed,The Fazer is bound to be a much better all rounder than your Kwak,dont hesitate...if the bikes mechanically sound buy it:thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the bike handles pretty well, and has a much better turning circle than a sports bike IMO

on the twisty roads, it might not be as good as a supersports, but it is still fairly capable and a lot of fun.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome

I'd be willing to bet that the reason why the steering felt so heavy was the front tire was airflow low on air, and the fact that you said you would push one way and it would go the other pretty much explains it.

Once you get some fresh rubber on it and the right air pressure you will love it. I can literally do a u turn with in 2 parking spaces on mine, so they are quite nimble little bikes.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my FZ6 this year from a GS500 upgrade. I never really noticed the weight difference when riding. VERY fun bike. My GS topped out at 95 mph as well and was always getting blown all over the highways. The FZ will be much more stable in windy situations compared to your Ninja. Like others said, if you put on new tires, it makes a world of difference. I changed my tires after 2 weeks of riding, and it turns so much better. I'm not into touring, but I hear there are lots of luggage options for the FZ, so I say go for it! Besides, at 2000 bucks, you can always sell for the same price if you don't like it.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
You won't find many dissenting opinions here.

I'm guessing the weight feel is all perspective. Like others have said, you'll get used to it. The FZ6 is my first bike and I LOVE it. I rode a much smaller bike at the MSF this weekend and yes, I immediately noticed the difference. If all you did was ride around town/tight/short trips, then I'd say to stick with something smaller. But you say there's a lot of touring/big commutes in your style so I'd say the 6 is something to definitely consider.

I also second the notion of looking at other examples for sale. Not saying this is not the one, but there are a lot for sale that you might like better.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
once moving the steering should be quick to turn, assuming the tyre pressures are correct, and there's nothing badly wrong with the head bearings

older tyres will be squared off, meaning they will less easily want to tip into a corner. some tyres have sharper profiles meaning they will quicly want to turn in.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be willing to bet that the reason why the steering felt so heavy was the front tire was airflow low on air, and the fact that you said you would push one way and it would go the other pretty much explains it.

I was going to say the same. When I collected my bike the tyre pressures were really low and that's exactly the symptoms I experienced. Once I'd put the correct amount of air in the bike was transformed.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You say the bike has been dropped?
Are the bars bent?
Are the forks twisted in the triple clamp?

Both these things will make you feel like the bike has a mind of its own.
Can you get another test ride? At about 35mph take your hands off the bars the bike should track in a straight line.
If it veers off to one side it could be the above mentioned problems or mis-alignment of the rear wheel. As stated poor tyres will also effect the handling.
If you find a decent FZ6 you won't be disappointed and you will quickly get used to the increased rider input required over your Ninja. Perhaps this is the FZ6 you should walk away from? As there are better examples out there.

Nelly

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were in your shoes, and could say that the FZ in question was mechanically sound (ie: no obvious damage from a crash, engine and brakes operating smoothly), I would say pull the trigger. My FZ6 is a great do everything ride. I commute on it everyday, as well as take it into the hills on weekends. The bike just always exceeds my expectations. I think that you will find that the trade-offs that you will make with this larger bike will be positives once you get used to the feel of the bike's handling. You will use the throttle more to steer the bike than you would on the 250.

Good luck with your choice!

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went from a 2001 Ninja 250 to a 2004 FZ6 several years ago. I never noticed an issue with the steering at slow speeds, so more than likely the tire pressure was low. The FZ6 will feel more stable in corners and straight lines, but not feel as light and flicky going into turns, due to the increased wheelbase and weight. For touring, I love my FZ6 vs my 250. The 250 would wear me out faster than my FZ6.

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For touring, I love my FZ6 vs my 250. The 250 would wear me out faster than my FZ6.

Thats pretty much what I figured....

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I just called the guy and told him I want it... so looks like Im going to be the proud new owner of a blue 2006 FZ6. Im just not sure I want to sell my 250 yet, I love that bike.....

I also called Twisted Throttle and told them I want that SW-Motech Alurack they have arriving in about 2 weeks (they are out of stock on it at the moment). I have the SW-Motech rack on my Ninja 250 and it holds up everything I throw in my Givi case, even when I go grocery shopping and end up with a case of water among other things. Anyone have this rack for their bike? It says I need to cut the fairings a little bit to fit it?

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was a 2003 Ninja 250 as well. Fun little bike but compared to the FZ6 it was painfully slow and SUPER scary at freeway speeds because once you are up to 80 mph the bike takes a long time to accelerate any more which is not safe if you have to use evasive maneuvers to avoid the crazy cagers.

The FZ6 is a VERY capable touring bike. Last summer I took mine on a 2,000 mile trip around the southeast US and back to Virginia. The FZ6 riding position is much more comfortable than the Ninja and you don't realize how much more until you spend a lot of time in the seat of both bikes.

If you don't need the money I would keep the 250. You probably can't sell a 12 year old 250 for more than $1,000 anyway. I would get 70-90 mpg on my 250...I wish I still had it to commute on so I could use the FZ6 for the mountains and touring only.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once you own the FZ6 no matter what you get in the future, you'll still miss your FZ6. Get new tires, gear up and ride it! You'll love it! :BLAA:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I learned to ride on a 250R and it is a great beginner bike. The first bike I bought was a 650R which was also a great entry into the world of motorcycles. I rode that for 2 seasons, and then at the end of last season picked up my FZ6.

From personal experience, I can tell you that I absolutely love my FZ and wouldn't trade it for anything. I also commute daily from NYC to CT and the FZ is a great choice.

The FZ is certainly a bigger/heavier bike, but in my opinion, that makes for a much better commuter. It is more stable at speed and just feels more confident on the highway. Another thing you will notice is that Yamaha engineering (not to offend any Kawi owners) is just flat out better than than Kawasaki. The bike is just engineered and put together better and seems to employ better quality materials and workmanship.

The added power of the FZ is also a great bonus. The bike has plenty of pep and I think many people on here would agree with me that it performs similarly (note I did not say the same) to a super sport. The great thing is, its not at the loss of comfort. It has a nice one piece seat which I find comfortable, and raised bars which cater to a comfy upright riding position.

Overall, I can tell you that you will almost certainly not be disappointed if you decide to buy this machine. It may have felt a little awkward at low speed, but that is just because you are used to something much smaller and more nimble. Once you get some miles under your belt, you will never look back.

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its official! Im the proud owner of a 2006 Blue FZ6, yay!

If you want to convince yourself to buy something, post in a forum dedicated to that something. Notice I never posted in an anti-FZ6 forum, which some of you Im sure will swear could never exist, lol.

By the way I never did introduce myself which I feel maybe I should now that it seems I may be around for awhile.

My real name is Kerri (username is my way of being silly Happyker = Happy Kerri). Im 26, the kind of girl that enjoys showing up guys, haha. I definitely have a tomboy side to me but not overly so (sorry guys I dont enjoy watching sports, I might kick your butt playing them though). As I mentioned I live in Philly but bartend in NYC. Im quitting my job as of June 11th and then leaving to go on a cross country trip which I originally was going to do on the 250. As long as everything is as mechanically sound as it seems (minus the couple things I already know I need to do) I will be taking the FZ6 on this trip instead.

To get to Cali I will be zipping out to Chicago, spending a day looking around then going the rest of the way on Route 66 making sure to hit at least a few National Parks including the Grand Canyon at a minimum (was thinking of doing the North Rim, the side very few people go to). Oh and I will be camping the whole way.... yes by myself probably the only thing Im slightly nervous about. I also will be staying for the summer before coming back and have work out there already waiting for me (LA is confirmed though Im still trying to get my current job to transfer me to their bar in San Francisco).

Someone above asked me how long I have been riding for and for that I would like to say, long enough that Im comfortable and confident in just about everything I can possibly come across on my motorcyle (at least the 250 anyway) but still know that you can always learn more. So basically about 2 years, one trip to Florida and many many many back and forth trips to NY as well as some fun in Long Island, NJ, the Poconos and Im sure some places Im forgetting at the moment. My 250 says that I put 20K on it since I bought it but somehow that just dosent seem right, I used to do 40K per year on my last car and that was back when I didnt go to NYC every weekend... I really do sometimes suspect my odometer doesnt work right.

Anyway nice to meet you guys (textually speaking) and thanks again for the advice :)

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That bike sound beat to me. By the time you fix it up, you'll have spent enough money to buy a bike in better condition.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its official! Im the proud owner of a 2006 Blue FZ6, yay!

If you want to convince yourself to buy something, post in a forum dedicated to that something. Notice I never posted in an anti-FZ6 forum, which some of you Im sure will swear could never exist, lol.

By the way I never did introduce myself which I feel maybe I should now that it seems I may be around for awhile.

My real name is Kerri (username is my way of being silly Happyker = Happy Kerri). Im 26, the kind of girl that enjoys showing up guys, haha. I definitely have a tomboy side to me but not overly so (sorry guys I dont enjoy watching sports, I might kick your butt playing them though). As I mentioned I live in Philly but bartend in NYC. Im quitting my job as of June 11th and then leaving to go on a cross country trip which I originally was going to do on the 250. As long as everything is as mechanically sound as it seems (minus the couple things I already know I need to do) I will be taking the FZ6 on this trip instead.

To get to Cali I will be zipping out to Chicago, spending a day looking around then going the rest of the way on Route 66 making sure to hit at least a few National Parks including the Grand Canyon at a minimum (was thinking of doing the North Rim, the side very few people go to). Oh and I will be camping the whole way.... yes by myself probably the only thing Im slightly nervous about. I also will be staying for the summer before coming back and have work out there already waiting for me (LA is confirmed though Im still trying to get my current job to transfer me to their bar in San Francisco).

Someone above asked me how long I have been riding for and for that I would like to say, long enough that Im comfortable and confident in just about everything I can possibly come across on my motorcyle (at least the 250 anyway) but still know that you can always learn more. So basically about 2 years, one trip to Florida and many many many back and forth trips to NY as well as some fun in Long Island, NJ, the Poconos and Im sure some places Im forgetting at the moment. My 250 says that I put 20K on it since I bought it but somehow that just dosent seem right, I used to do 40K per year on my last car and that was back when I didnt go to NYC every weekend... I really do sometimes suspect my odometer doesnt work right.

Anyway nice to meet you guys (textually speaking) and thanks again for the advice :)

Give us a yell when you get out here so you get together with some of the local members from our forum. We have some great rides out here.
Also hook up with some other members across the states and maybe get some cool safe places with other members to crash at. This might make your trip more memorable and fun! :D