Hesitating about buying an FZ6

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Coolest intro. I wish I had taken the cross country trip when I had the chance. Actually, some of myfriends will be doing a similar trip around the same time (by minivan). Chigago, GC, stuff, CA, returning though Vegas, stuff.

Where in Philly? My sis lives in Fishtown. Let me know if you would like to meet up for a ride.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 is my first bike - have only tried GS500 (motorcycle-school crap worn out bike) + my girlfriends M800 Intruder, so I really haven't got alot to compare with...

After 5 years I still don't feel I have outgrown the FZ6. One reason could be that I haven't tried anything better simply because it might make me less happy with my fizzer. Another reason could be that I have attended 2 advanced motorcycle courses that taught me what the FZ6 could do...

* The heavier you pack for touring the less difference there will be in regards to mileage between a 250cc 600cc.

* And I agree with the other guys - there must be something wrong with that bike you test rode! If everything was alright then the FZ6 should be able to be turned using exactly the same technique as with any other bike. And it might be the tire pressure - luckily I have never had to experience that problem on a bike.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I own one of each and I love both bikes, (for different reasons). The Ninja is a sweet little bike that is an absolute blast to ride and gets like a zillion miles per gallon! (Actually around 65 mpg no matter how hard you ride it) They're just cold natured, but like you say, they will hit 100 mph.
The Fazer is the love of my life and the best of the eight bikes I have ever owned.
I say keep them both!

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Where in Philly? My sis lives in Fishtown. Let me know if you would like to meet up for a ride.

South Philly, walking distance to the Italian Market. I love meeting new biker friends (I know very few other people that ride) and would love to meet for a ride. I plan to leave the week of the 10th on my trip (probably later in the week) as long as that top rack makes it in time. Until then I'm in Philly every week from early Tues morn till Fri evening where as the rest of the time I'm in NYC.

* And I agree with the other guys - there must be something wrong with that bike you test rode! If everything was alright then the FZ6 should be able to be turned using exactly the same technique as with any other bike. And it might be the tire pressure - luckily I have never had to experience that problem on a bike.

I'm pretty convinced it was the poor tire pressure (confirmed) in terribly bald tires plus my not being used to a bike heavier than my 250. I ordered new tires online ( Michelin road pilot 3's) and as soon as they come I'll know for sure. Too late for not buying it so hopefully I'm right.

I own one of each and I love both bikes, (for different reasons). The Ninja is a sweet little bike that is an absolute blast to ride and gets like a zillion miles per gallon! (Actually around 65 mpg no matter how hard you ride it) They're just cold natured, but like you say, they will hit 100 mph.
The Fazer is the love of my life and the best of the eight bikes I have ever owned.
I say keep them both!

I never get 65 MPG.... might have a bit too do with my riding style though as I enjoy every bit of power that my little Ninja has (hence my buying a bigger bike). I probably get more like 50 though its been awhile since I've checked.

As for keeping it... well I really want to but I could use the $ as I dug a bit more into my savings than I should have. I'm really trying to get one of my friends to buy it so I don't truly have to say goodbye. I guess my final decision will depend on the level of love I develop for the FZ6 as I'm probably not going to be able to get a chance to sell the Ninja till I get back from my trip anyway. I'm a bit too sentimental sometimes and see myself tearing up if I do sell it.

Give us a yell when you get out here so you get together with some of the local members from our forum. We have some great rides out here.
Also hook up with some other members across the states and maybe get some cool safe places with other members to crash at. This might make your trip more memorable and fun! :D

I will make sure to do that :)

As for the places along the way to crash at, I'm not sure how to go about that but if anyone offers and is along my route that would be pretty awesome :)

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy lives on 8th and Federal. Ever had Slice? Love their pizza. Due to work/family, I typical joy ride on the weekends. I'll let you know if I have a free night during the week. Are you around tomorrow?

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy lives on 8th and Federal. Ever had Slice? Love their pizza. Due to work/family, I typical joy ride on the weekends. I'll let you know if I have a free night during the week. Are you around tomorrow?

Nope I wont be home till Tuesday. See my above posting for days I'm in Philly.

Never had "Slice" before nor have I even heard of it actually. I'll have to give it a try this week, Philly pizza in general (though there are certainly exceptions to the rule) tends to disappoint me.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
since nobody addressed it yet, even though you bought the bike (congrats on the bike by the way), the issue with the steering where you move the bars left to go right is an inertia in the bike that causes a countersteer. when happens is: (and WILL be more noticeable on a heavier bike) that when the wheel is turned one way, the inertia of the bike wants to remain straight so the chassis leans the other direction. this technique is used to enter a turn more quickly and is usually done intuitively. if you wish to explore this more in depth i would suggest doing so on a bicycle first to avoid any kind of damage to you or your bike.

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Figured I would give everyone an update. Yesterday I rode my new bike for the first time since the initial short test ride. Ive been putting it off because Im still waiting for one of my tires (the front one is apparently backordered in many stores for the Road Pilot 3, something Bikebandit's website still fails to mention, so I had to search around till I found a place with it in stock which happened to be at one of my favorite stores, Revzilla) as well as oil filters (last time oil was changed was before the guy who owned it put it in storage for awhile). I just couldnt take having that beautiful thing staring at me waiting to be ridden. So with air now in the tires I took off and all doubts I had about buying the bike went away.

Wow did air make all the difference. The bike was no longer fighting me and I could get it to maneuver almost like it was as light as my Ninja. Lots of fun... The clutch is a bit more picky and I feel like Im driving a truck compared to the Ninja as its much taller and a bit wider but thats about it on my complaints and Im already starting to get used to it anyway.

Love my FZ6 already! I finally got myself to put my Ninja on CL last night (early this morning for any normal people here) and while I will certainly miss "The Green Blur" Im sure Ill get over that fast now :p

since nobody addressed it yet, even though you bought the bike (congrats on the bike by the way), the issue with the steering where you move the bars left to go right is an inertia in the bike that causes a countersteer. when happens is: (and WILL be more noticeable on a heavier bike) that when the wheel is turned one way, the inertia of the bike wants to remain straight so the chassis leans the other direction. this technique is used to enter a turn more quickly and is usually done intuitively. if you wish to explore this more in depth i would suggest doing so on a bicycle first to avoid any kind of damage to you or your bike.

When I took the motorcycle safety class for my license (approx 2 years ago) I was very confused about this at first and tried picturing myself on a bicycle if I ever noticed it. Then after actually getting my Ninja there were a few times on corners I had to let my instincts take over intentionally. After awhile I got used to it and now I take tight corners like a pro :) Happy to say the FZ6 didnt change that, just the lack of air made it super hard to turn the wheel in either direction making the bike feel ridiculously heavier than it should.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Figured I would give everyone an update. Yesterday I rode my new bike for the first time since the initial short test ride. Ive been putting it off because Im still waiting for one of my tires (the front one is apparently backordered in many stores for the Road Pilot 3, something Bikebandit's website still fails to mention, so I had to search around till I found a place with it in stock which happened to be at one of my favorite stores, Revzilla) as well as oil filters (last time oil was changed was before the guy who owned it put it in storage for awhile). I just couldnt take having that beautiful thing staring at me waiting to be ridden. So with air now in the tires I took off and all doubts I had about buying the bike went away.

Wow did air make all the difference. The bike was no longer fighting me and I could get it to maneuver almost like it was as light as my Ninja. Lots of fun... The clutch is a bit more picky and I feel like Im driving a truck compared to the Ninja as its much taller and a bit wider but thats about it on my complaints and Im already starting to get used to it anyway.

Love my FZ6 already! I finally got myself to put my Ninja on CL last night (early this morning for any normal people here) and while I will certainly miss "The Green Blur" Im sure Ill get over that fast now :p

When I took the motorcycle safety class for my license (approx 2 years ago) I was very confused about this at first and tried picturing myself on a bicycle if I ever noticed it. Then after actually getting my Ninja there were a few times on corners I had to let my instincts take over intentionally. After awhile I got used to it and now I take tight corners like a pro :) Happy to say the FZ6 didnt change that, just the lack of air made it super hard to turn the wheel in either direction making the bike feel ridiculously heavier than it should.

Your avatar picture is freaky! My first bike was also a green Ninja 250R and my 2006 FZ6 is also blue...stop copying me! :rockon:

Get yourself some cable lube asap for that stiff clutch. I have found that the FZ6 clutch cable gets extra stiff and rough if you don't lube it up about every 1,500 miles or several months. Enjoy the FZ6! I have had mine for almost 6 years now and even when I do upgrade to another bike (FJR1300!) I will keep the FZ6!

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Congrats on getting your FZ6. That's the same year and color as the one I had. Great bike.
And yeah, tire pressure can make a tremendous difference in handling/turning. Glad that you got the bike and the issue worked out.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site

The interesting thing with this is that it only happens above ~15mph. If you play around in a parking lot, you can feel it transition into counter steering.