high idle issue

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did a valve adjustment and set the the throttle vacuum to 8.5 but for some reason I cant get the idle lower than 1440. Ive even screwed the idle adjuster all the way out. Ive checked to make sure I have all the hoses reconnected and Sprayed wd-40 in the engine to see if there was a vacuum leak while running. Im not sure what could be wrong.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did a valve adjustment and set the the throttle vacuum to 8.5 but for some reason I cant get the idle lower than 1440. Ive even screwed the idle adjuster all the way out. Ive checked to make sure I have all the hoses reconnected and Sprayed wd-40 in the engine to see if there was a vacuum leak while running. Im not sure what could be wrong.

Did you adjust the main, #1 screw to try and get to 8.5?

**IME, one sync I did, I tried getting the vacuum to the recommended 86 inHG (at sea level). Wasn't happening.

Its NOT critical by any means. Getting all cylinders to pull the same, IS..

If you did, re-set the #1 screw to the recommended 3/4 turn out from lightly seated (factory setting), Then sync the rest to match. You shouldn't have a problem bringing the idle down.

If there's still a slight issue to get the idle lower, SCREW OUT, #1 SLIGHTLY (7/8", 1 turn tops) and re-sync. That'll allow for more adjustment for the other cylinders. You should be OK without going beyond 3/4 a turn...

Double check the sync(and adjust at about 4k as well). This helps with eliminating some of the lower speed vibes...

Just a side note: I'd get the largest fan you can and place it in front of the header/radiator as it'll warm up quick fine tuning...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldnt say its not important as the value is setting the baseline for the AFR. So, if all things are proper, @1300 rpm and the correct AFR, you get the specified vacuum.

Point being; if too lean, it dies when you come down from high rpm even tho it has the correct idle speed.

IIRC that put mine at ~12.5:1 AFR at idle...

Common issues;
Add on fuel controller +/- fuel.
Vacuum leaks. WD burns but may not be the best leak check product.
C1/C2 CO settings moved from OEM value.
Too much air past the sync screws.

In a nutshell turn all sync screws out 1 full turn and see if you gain control of the thumbscrew. At a minimum, you shoukd get it down to 900/1000 RPM and then be able to adjust it up to say 1200 or whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry I had left you guys hanging. You guys helped me out and got it running right! For some reason I had #1 turned out to far. When I seated it and turned it out 3/4 a turn I was able to get the rpms down to 1260-1320 with all tb's synced. And I did it at 4000 rpms too. She's been running like a champ! Got 48mpg on my last 2 fill ups! Don't think it was due the valve adjustment as I only had 1 exhaust too tight. Thanks again for the help getting it figured out.