How much can you use brake in a turn???

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nate - Great thread over at C Land, thanks. Interesting how some folks use front and some use rear. For me I never use the rear and use the front to settle the bike, especially in a transition in a chicane. The only thing I use the rear for on the track is an emergency brake and I've used it once after I'd changed handlebars and my front brake lever wouldn't travel enough to stop the bike at speed. I grabbed the brake...nothing...and then stomped on the rear brake and went sailing off the straight at about 75 mph and into the dirt run off. I was a little red in the face after that one.

On the street I use the rear brake pretty much every stop.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since you are a new rider, best to keep things simple.

Remember! # 1 cause of accidents by a rider is failure to negotiate a turn due to excessive speed. So as a new rider and even for experienced riders, try to avoid coming in too hot for a turn to begin with. With this in mind, you can follow the next advise.

Make sure you are in the right powerband, meaning that you can use your throttle to slow yourself down without even using your brakes. Make sure you aren't in 4th or 5th gear, instead maybe you should be in 2nd or 3rd by the time you hit the turn. This well help you add a bit of throttle thru the turn, transfering the weight of the bike to the rear for better control and grip.

W

wrightme43

Also you normally only think your going to fast. Its almost always in your mind.

Freddie Spencer is the man.

This is on a stock VFR you can see how late in the corner he is on the brakes though. Then again he is known for being very very very smooth.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVqQnRrvask"]YouTube - Freddy Spencer on a Honda VFR V-tec[/ame]

kkiser69

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all for all of the very helpful information!

Bottom line -- I will be PATIENT and also PRACTICE.

Went to the International Motorcycle Show in Washington, DC, over the weekend. My first one ever since last June became a first time bike owner. Lots of fun.

Caught a session on "Cornering" given by Lee Parks -- author of "Total Control." Purchased his book after the classroom session. Nice guy.

Below are a few images of pix I took on my iphone...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this is how i do it..in my dreams

YouTube - Kawasaki MotoGP Slide King
That is excellent, and one of the best demonstrations of why so many people talk about being quick, yet few actually are.
[edit] I think that he is actually spinning the wheel through the corner, so not actually braking. I have seen Mick Doohan do the same at Donnington.

Nelly

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all for all of the very helpful information!

Bottom line -- I will be PATIENT and also PRACTICE.

Went to the International Motorcycle Show in Washington, DC, over the weekend. My first one ever since last June became a first time bike owner. Lots of fun.

Caught a session on \\"Cornering\\" given by Lee Parks -- author of \\"Total Control.\\" Purchased his book after the classroom session. Nice guy.

Below are a few images of pix I took on my iphone...

Lee's book is a great place to start. Also pick up Nick Ienatsch's book "Sport Riding Techniques". I prefer his book to Lee's as Lee's "Pizza Slice" analogy was stolen directly from Keith Code's $10.00 bill analogy. Also Lee picks on Larry Pegram way too much. Pegram Racing I get what Lee is saying about how Larry rides but give me a break. Larry simply rides "old school" vs. Lee who IMHO ride's a blend of old and new regardless of what Lee thinks. That and Larry has had a solid professional career in the AMA, Lee kinda did his thing once and move on.

Last edited:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
From a beginner to a beginner... first learn to slow down before the turn and use constant acceleration through out the turn. You CAN use braking in a turn but right now you probably shouldn't be concerned with performance riding (I know I'm not and may never be). As a beginner there should never be an excuse for taking a corner to fast. SLOW DOWN! There could be anything sitting in that turn from a car to a pot hole. Having to brake in a turn to avoid something is a different matter and should be practiced in a parking lot not while in a real turn.

I also didn't see anyone mention a turn/curve when you are going downhill. I have read that you can use your brakes comfortably in these types of turns as long as any braking is smooth and the net result is still acceleration.

am4298

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you've braked enough before the turn and if you have to during it, i like to use mostly the back brake if i can. But you'll get more comfy and develop ur own comfort level as you get some more miles.