• rarely

Votes: 75 54.3%
  • Never

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
O.k. so I wanted to do a poll because it seems like the thing to do. How often do you ride one handed? I tend to do it quite a bit because it's more comfortable for me. I will even do it in small curves but never in traffic. How often do you find yourself doing it?

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rarely might be right for me. Like you said, I do it in some curves and during long rides kind of for the heck of it. I rarely do it for long because I can hear my BRC instructors in my head telling me why it's dangerous to ride one handed.

It's a useful skill for left-hand waving while turning. :BLAA:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted as much as I can, but this can be interpreted many ways.

For me, it means generally I will when it's safe and I'm looking for a different riding position. Give the wrists a break and lean back...

I won't do it when cars are near me and am always wary of intersections (especially blind). Oncoming traffic in the left turn lane? No way - I'm on the ready... horn/brake covered.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends - If I have an important text conversation going on, I'd be stupid not to ride one-handed, right? :BLAA:

But really - pretty often, it tends to relax me more and keep me from hooning it up as much in areas where I'd likely get a ticket. If I have both hands on the bars I'll probably shift down and goose it around someone across a double yellow, but when I only have one hand on the bars I'm much more content to enjoy going the speed limit.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not 50/50 and not as often as I can.

More like when there is "no perceivable threats" and the likelihood of needing to take action is LOW. Having said that the bike steers nicely with your knees and I'll hit some pretty speedy corners with one hand or hands free when Texting Lawberg! :BLAA:

VV
EDIT: What Cliff said (below). As its always on longer rides to stretch and change position. Last nights 85 mile ride, never that I recall.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I chose rarely But it's more like 'Sometimes'. Sometimes I do it because it looks cool like Capt'n Morgan! Not really!! I do it because it allows a change in my body position. I ride in a more forward position on the SV1000s when I take my left hand off, it allows for a different, slightly more upright, body position. This gives me the advantage of longer riding periods. I do other body positioning as well to alternate positioning. :)

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted rarely but my left hand has carpel tunnel bad and I like to let the left hand off the clutch for stretches when it's safe. Shake it out sort of. I will do the same with the right when safe as I have the Throttlemeister which is awesome. Sometime no hands if it's flat and maybe downhill just to stretch or relax for a few seconds.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll definitely ride one-handed at some point on any long-ish ride to change up body position and give my left hand / wrist a break.

I do also like to occasionally ride one-handed through some curves I know well (at relatively slow speeds). Slowing, initiating lean, trail braking, rolling on.. all one-handed. :thumbup:

1st exercise of BRC2 (cone weave) is done one-handed :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1st exercise of BRC2 (cone weave) is done one-handed :D

That's the exercise to weed out the riders who belong and don't belong in the BRC2.

This thread brings me back memories while riding with one hand and taking pictures with my camera with the other hand.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's like asking cowboys how often they ride with only one hand on the reins..
I do it as much as possible on the highway when traffic conditions allow, and on some sweepers to break up the sub supersonic speed corner boredom. :rockon:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted rarely but my left hand has carpel tunnel bad and I like to let the left hand off the clutch for stretches when it's safe. Shake it out sort of. I will do the same with the right when safe as I have the Throttlemeister which is awesome. Sometime no hands if it's flat and maybe downhill just to stretch or relax for a few seconds.

same same except for the throttle meister. If I really need to stretch the right hand I'll pull in the clutch and coast for 5-10 seconds

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Try driving a cage for 2hrs straight and not lifting a hand from the wheel. Your hand will be crippled without all those vibes to keep the blood flowing! :thumbup::thumbup: