How old were you when you first rode pillion?

How old were you when you first road pillion

• 4-5

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • 6-7

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • 7-8

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • 8-9

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • 9-10

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • 10-11

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • 11-12

Votes: 28 10.6%
  • Adult

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Never

Votes: 56 21.3%

• Total voters

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the day I can pass on those first two-up experiences with dad on to my son. Wife? Not so much.

At age 5, I would be mortified with him on back. I figure in a year or two, we'll be ready.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking back, I was likely still in the womb! So pre-hatch (born) likely an old BSA!
But later - I was like 6 or something. . . It was an old Triumph and I rode in front holding on the handle bars.

lindsimo

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe I rode pillion a couple times as a child, but never on the actual road. It never really appealed to me; I always just wanted to drive lol. Turns out I was right! I rode pillion on my friend's bike last year and didn't enjoy it at all.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember it well.
My favourite uncle took me for a short spin, aged around 7 or 8, on his Lambretta. What impressed me most was the speed, the wind and the terrible vibration from the engine. That and the fact that I was pretty scared I'd fall off. Only had the silly strap across the saddle to hold onto, no sissy bars. Shoulda put me off the notion for life.
Hah! Fat chance.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Pillion.jpg

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
Why are you missing 13-17? That would be my answer but I don't consider that adult by any means. I have done it 3 times. Just enough to realize I need my own bike :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Caitlin first ride out with dad aged 7 (the child not the father)
gymyma8u.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire S

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I will never forget the first time I rode pillion.

I was 6 years old. We were at the chehalis/centralia softball fields. My dads friend Roger had just got a brand new 1984 Honda V65 Magna.

View attachment 45896

For some reason my parents let me get on the back of that beast with that man. All I remember is my mom looking at me and saying that I better hang on. I grabbed on to this guys softball jersey (no gear, helmet, anything) and he took off nearly dumping me off the back. Thank god he had the passenger seat back rest because my arms had straightened out and I was holding on for dear life as tight as could be. He zipped down the long driveway of the softball park out to the park road looping back around and then I got off. These guys used to have ice chests of Coors in the dugout even. So, I don't know if my parents friends during my early years were good role models. But, that first ride was unforgettable.

My parents used to let me drive the car down our driveway around that age. And at 5 I actually would drive our tractor as my mom picked up the hay bails. She would pop it in gear and I would steer and work the gas a little and brake, the little I could reach. I could even make pretty good loops in the fields. If we needed to stop I could get down and mash on the brake and stall it out. LOL.

I guess they trusted me on wheels from a young age.

Last edited:

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to ride to playgroup aged 3-4, balanced on the tank of my Dads 350 Ducati.

You can't fight that sh!t! :rockon:

made_in_izmir

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I was 3 or 4 , the pilot was my father .
I didnt sit on behind him. I was on the gas tank :) and constantly was pressing the horn :)

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site

My first time was a lot like this, @ 22 in West Africa with the Peace Corps - riding on the back of 150cc beasts for 2 hours at a time on rutted out dirt roads trying to balance a 40 pound pack and not touch the driver lest he would think I liked men. And after I got home I bought my FZ.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
No option on the poll for me. I was probably 3 or 4, sat up on infront of the old man on his Kawi KDX 400. Hung onto the handlbar brace. I remember going down dirt road with the front wheel in the air more than on the ground!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say about 6-7

We'rd ride on the back of my dad's '85 Honda Interceptor 700 (which he still has and I ride myself occasionally!)

Nothing beat that feeling when he'd tap my hands to grab him tighter and twist the throttle all the way open...NOTHING! I knew I had to be a rider one day, my sisters both have their endorsements too but no bikes. Maybe one will buy my Ninja 250 since I just bought my FZ6

Harlequin Angel

Reaction score
Visit site
I was one of the lucky ones to have been brought up around bikes and at one stage my dads harley lived in the front room of our house. After nearly sliding off the back up a steep hill I was happy when he got a sissy bar :)

Just recently my boyfriend took his 4 year old niece on his bike and sat her in front, she loved it even though her nan was throwing a slight tantrum over it.

Jcbarron

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad worked for a company that was owned by AMF. I have the distinction of riding pillion at a young age on the worst Harley Davidsons in history. Mom and dad both rode one. Sis behind dad and me behind mom. It's a wonder I lived...