I'm bikeless

Flickable?? Do mean flexible...please clarify?

I also found that 1st through 2nd is very clunky, but as Dani mentioned, once it warms she's motors.

Flickable is the term for how quickly you can lean a turn in one direction and then "Flick" it over to the other direction...

Flickable is the term for how quickly you can lean a turn in one direction and then "Flick" it over to the other direction...

Do you know of the penguin racing school up there? I was thinking about taking some classes to get on the track.

Good Lord Dani! I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you! Given how new the bike is an the low miles, you should get close to full price. What the insurance company does is look at replacement and since there are no used '08 bikes, you'll likely get a new one. Which company does she have? Hopefully it is State Farm. They are the best! I got rear-ended a month ago in my truck on a Friday night, appraisal the following Wednesday and a check in the mailbox the very next Friday. I was extremely nice about the whole ordeal and stressed that I had no medical claim, only a desire to have my truck back to 100%. They more than satisfied that!

I'm extremely happy to hear that you (and no one else) was hurt! You still should go see the Doctor regardless of how you feel just to get some achy meds at the very least.

Take care, keep us posted and put some pics up of you can. How much damage? Do you think the frame was broken? Engine broken? If the answer to both is "No" then they may not total it and might have it repaired.

I don't know if the frame or the engine were damaged. There was some liquid that spilled. Her insurance is Amica. Mine is Liberty Mutual. Hopefully, I'll hear from them tomorrow. I have some neck soreness probably from whiplash. I am sure it'll go away in a few days to a week. As for seeing an MD - I am one and I think I survived fine. All in all could have been much worse....

Now, I'll wait to see what the appraiser says. I wish I took a picture of the bike with my cell phone - it didn't come to my mind. It looked pretty bad to me and I hope it will be totaled. I would not feel comfortable on it knowing how it looked.

I still have a windshield and frame sliders on order...kind of a bummer. I'll have to locate another bike once I get the check. I know Naults in windham is still advertising an '07 blue bike with 919 miles for $5699 ( and no other new bike related charges like assembly etc...) They have had this bike for at least two months. It has a warranty until 12/08 and I am sure if I came in with $5500 in cash they would probably go for it. So, I may do that if I can't get a good deal on a new one again or if it takes a while to locate one.
Dani
Dani

Wow! Only 130 miles on the bike. Amazing you were able to walk away with the bike. Just wondering what kind of safety gear you had on, I'm always curious how the safety gear holds up. Anyway, if your bike is totaled, you should see if you can buy the bike back from the insurance company. It's a great way to part out the bike, especially if you're planning to get another FZ6. You'll have plenty of spares. I agree, the dealership should give you another great price, probably the same or if not even a better price than before.

Dani,

I agree with the above posts re insurance. Don't forget, you should be entitled to a rental vehicle (or motorcycle) at their cost, as well as reimbursement for your clothing which, I'm sure, is ruined.

make sure u get a new helmet out of the deal whether or not theres any visable damage. If they try to give u a hard time tell them u want a note saying that if you are in another accident with that helmet and it does not perform too 100% of its capacity that they will be liable for any injuries. They will never be willing to do that. i was given that advice by a cop after my accident.

Yea! Glad YOUR ok. The bike can be replaced. I don't see how the insurance co could give you much less than replacement value with such low mileage on yours. If her insurance gives you any trouble, go strait to your company to get help. They should help you out at a time like this.

Thanks for all the good advice. My gear performed well and I think mostly because I didn't fly off the bike. I just have an abrasion on my textile pants and a bunch of scuffs on my tourmaster HRX jacket and setup boots. Helmet seems ok - i don't think there was impact.

I'll hopefully get a call from her insurance company today. I'll keep you guys updated.

Any word yet from them? Do you also know if the lady was cited at the scene?

Good luck Dani!

Thanks guys for the encouraging words.
So, this morning I met with the appraiser at the place where the bike was towed. He thoroughly inspected the bike and took some pictures. He specifically works for Amica, not a contractor. He did say that the frame, the tank, the fairing, instruments, lights, bar risers, front wheel...would need to be replaced. That by itself is probably over $3k. He said within a day or two he'll have the values and will call me and let me know. I hope that the value will be high enough so that the'll declare it a total loss and just give me a check. I really don't want to fix this bike and ride it again. I'd much rather pay a little extra and get a new bike.
I took some picutes, but I'm at work now, so I'll post them later tonight.
Dani

Dankatz. Very sorry to hear...but thanks for sharing story. I'm curious, did she/you make eyes before the crash? I mean, did she possibly give you the look but pulled out in front anyway (i.e., lights on, but no one home)? Did you crash into the rear of her vehicle or into the side of it? Do you care to elaborate? I understand that it was her fault. Hope you can get a brand spanking new 2008 FZ6 but, I suppose parts are parts if that's all it takes to make new again.

Thanks guys for the encouraging words.
So, this morning I met with the appraiser at the place where the bike was towed. He thoroughly inspected the bike and took some pictures. He specifically works for Amica, not a contractor. He did say that the frame, the tank, the fairing, instruments, lights, bar risers, front wheel...would need to be replaced. That by itself is probably over $3k. He said within a day or two he'll have the values and will call me and let me know. I hope that the value will be high enough so that the'll declare it a total loss and just give me a check. I really don't want to fix this bike and ride it again. I'd much rather pay a little extra and get a new bike.
I took some picutes, but I'm at work now, so I'll post them later tonight.
Dani

Jeeze, frame, front wheel, lights fairings... all that is any good anymore are the engine and rear tire, if they DO decide to fix it the whole bike will be brand new again anyway. 90% of the time when an aluminum frame has damage they will total the bike, you should see what the retainer fee is and keep it to make a smokin' go cart from the engine

Jeeze, frame, front wheel, lights fairings... all that is any good anymore are the engine and rear tire, if they DO decide to fix it the whole bike will be brand new again anyway. 90% of the time when an aluminum frame has damage they will total the bike....

Well said! I was going to say the same. The frame and the labor to swap it is more than $3k by itself. Now throw in the rest with labor and you're well over the mark to total the bike. :thumbup:

Dani, given that you're being very cool about this, you should push them to just buy you the brand new one with no added cash. This is a loss to you that was incurred by no fault of your own, thus it should *cost* you any money to get back to where you were before the accident. We all buy insurance to put us 100% back to before the accident without making a profit. (Quote from the State Farm web site). I don't think it would be out of the ordinary to request that at the very least.

So, how bad was the soreness the next day? Hope it wasn't too bad! Take care!!

I was be very happy if they would get be a new bike! I doubt they would do that...I don't think they would want to deal with that and would probably give me a check for a used value of an 08 which I have no clue what is....soreness was not too bad, just whole body muscle ache and specifically my neck. It is already better. I only asked them to replace my helmet. I just want a new bike. I decided that even if it is not totaled I may get a new bike. Do you guys know of any dales who have a blue FZ6 in stock in MA/NH? I haven't been calling around yet. One dealer who wanted my sale last time but didn't get it said he really wants it now. I'll come to him with a price and say take it or leave it - $6500 OTD +tax?? What do you think?
Picasa Web Albums - Daniel - 2008 FZ6
:(
Dani

Last edited:
Hey Dani, I like the before pictures much better. I don't want to make you feel too bad, but that was a sharp looking bike. I like the way the fairing was black and blue instead of all one color. Hope you're riding again soon.

if they only offer you the used value of an 08 then tell them that it will not do... if they push harder just say that your back has been really stiff since the accident and just watch how quickly they change their tune.

Not to swindle them, but more to get what you deserve...

The verdict is in - it is totaled and I will have a check ready tomorrow! They are giving me back the value of the bike plus taxes, so I'm heppy. I managed to negotitate a slightly worse deal then before for me, but OTD $6600 I can't complain. Hopefully, they'll have a bike for me by the end of next week. For the curious...
Picasa Web Albums - Daniel - 2008 FZ6

Dani

Back