Laid it down the other day

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
So the other morning on my way to work I'm getting ready to make a left turn off of a one way street. I had an suv in front of me so I couldn't see anything ahead. The suv and the the car ahead of it go through the turn. The pedestrian crosswalk had the flashing hand with about ten seconds on it. Because the other cars went through I didn't think there was anybody crossing. Two older bicyclists decided they were going to time their crossing right behind the suv. They couldn't see me, nor I them. They pedal right in front of me and I could see the terror on this woman's face when she realized I was about to kill her. I grab a handful of brake and turn. That coupled with the white paint and slick red brick of the crosswalk and I went down about four feet from this woman.

The P.O. Had installed these oversized goofy looking frame sliders. With the exception of a few small scratches on the belly fairing. The frame slider took all the damage. Didn't even get a scratch on my bar end mirror.

I hate being behind suvs and full sized trucks that I can't see over or around.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad everyone's ok and damage is minimal. It could have been MUCH worse.

Of course, comes the Monday morning quarterbacking. :( (with good intentions!)

Keeping more space between you and the vehicle ahead of you (especially a large truck) is critical, leave yourself an out.
I leave, for a regular car, at least one full car length while stopped at a light and am offset, so I can shoot in-between cars ahead
should someone behind me decide NOT to stop. A tall truck, way farther back or if possible, another lane all together..

Part of that is staying aware of ALL your surroundings.

Nuff preaching!

J

jesse_sanders

I think you've convinced me to get some frame sliders!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn thats two threads in a day about folk dropping it, hope yr ok and mobile again real quick

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great advice and strategy mentioned by Scott. You said it yourself, you grabbed a handful of brake. Practice is in order and try to achieve that muscle memory. A progressive squeeze of the front brakes.