Looked at an FZ6 last night...

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Background: I just sold my Ninja 250 that I've been riding for the past 3 years and am looking for a little bigger street bike that is more touring capable.

The bike I looked at is a 2005 FZ6 w/ 15k miles. It has a dynojet power commander III, an M-3 steering damper, M-4 slip on pipes, 3 year old pirelli diablo tires and supposedly a "racing clutch".

The seller is a guy in his late 40's who bought the bike from his neighbor. The neighbor was some kind of mechanic and looked to have taken good care of the bike. The seller however doesn't really know anything about the bike. He is scared to touch the power commander because "he doesn't want to mess anything up".

The bike looks to have been pretty well taken care of with the minor exception that it has been dropped by the current owner in his driveway. It is evident by the scratch on the engine case, the engine mount bolt is ground away a bit, ground up bar end weight, brake lever, and turn signal.

I took the bike for a ride around the block, I kind of liked it. I didn't like the noisy pipes, but I could always swap for a stock set. The thing I'm nervous about is the PCIII. Is that something that can be "hacked up" or is it plug and play? Would I be able to just unplug it or is it spliced into the bike?

Also, if I am taking it easy on this bike, say doing highway speeds of 65ish, would I do a lot better MPG's than the low 40's I keep hearing about?

Here's some pics:

7460135454_dbdd17c1e9_b.jpg

7460140424_99d68e054f_b.jpg

7460138018_89d090fb69_b.jpg

7460144480_442fe57ae6.jpg

I looked up the blue book and its listed at around 3300. The bike isn't perfect and my anal retentiveness would require me to replace the ground lever, bar end, (a set of crash pegs would fix the ground up engine mount bolt), and turn signal.

The bike has a new battery, he will give me an ok joe rocket jacket, 2 helmets, and a clear screen. He says the lowest he can go is 3k$. Does it sound like a good deal, mediocre, or what?

One more thing, is there supposed to be something next to the tool kit under the seat?

7460146546_03cef25b5c.jpg

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Background: I just sold my Ninja 250 that I've been riding for the past 3 years and am looking for a little bigger street bike that is more touring capable.

The bike I looked at is a 2005 FZ6 w/ 15k miles. It has a dynojet power commander III, an M-3 steering damper, M-4 slip on pipes, 3 year old pirelli diablo tires and supposedly a "racing clutch".

The seller is a guy in his late 40's who bought the bike from his neighbor. The neighbor was some kind of mechanic and looked to have taken good care of the bike. The seller however doesn't really know anything about the bike. He is scared to touch the power commander because "he doesn't want to mess anything up".

The bike looks to have been pretty well taken care of with the minor exception that it has been dropped by the current owner in his driveway. It is evident by the scratch on the engine case, the engine mount bolt is ground away a bit, ground up bar end weight, brake lever, and turn signal.

I took the bike for a ride around the block, I kind of liked it. I didn't like the noisy pipes, but I could always swap for a stock set. The thing I'm nervous about is the PCIII. Is that something that can be "hacked up" or is it plug and play? Would I be able to just unplug it or is it spliced into the bike?

Also, if I am taking it easy on this bike, say doing highway speeds of 65ish, would I do a lot better MPG's than the low 40's I keep hearing about?

I looked up the blue book and its listed at around 3300. The bike isn't perfect and my anal retentiveness would require me to replace the ground lever, bar end, (a set of crash pegs would fix the ground up engine mount bolt), and turn signal.

The bike has a new battery, he will give me an ok joe rocket jacket, 2 helmets, and a clear screen. He says the lowest he can go is 3k$. Does it sound like a good deal, mediocre, or what?

One more thing, is there supposed to be something next to the tool kit under the seat?

Hi, I purchased my 2005 FZ6 December last year with 21000kms (13000mi) for $5500.
I have just purchased a PowerCommanderIIIusb for my bike - and there is no need to be worried about it. (it's plug and play, but you really should leave it there, as the aftermarket pipes lean the engine out, and the PCIII corrects this)

The steering damper is amazing over-kill and is absolutely not required for the FZ6, which is very easy to ride and forgiving - I'd personally remove it.

DO the slip-on pipes have db killers or other muting technology available? Simply screwing one of those in will make the bike easier to live with.

As for your fuel economy - I'd suggest putting a 17 tooth sprocket on the front as this will both improve highway economy, AND correct the factory speedo error.

As for how the bike looks and whether it's value for money - as long as it's been serviced regularly, and well looked after, I reckon it's a good deal - and if you can get all that other stuff thrown in too, then it just gets better.

In your market though, you can probably get a 2007 up bike for $4000 or so. (but it will be an unknown quantity as opposed to one owned by a mechanic and well looked after.)

Something to think about.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: My bike has a little rubber strap beside the tool kit for holding something else down, but there was nothing there - so I use it to hold down a set of allen keys.

EDIT 2: I also should add that for $5500, my bike was entirely stock, except for a Ventura rack, whereas the one you're looking at has a Puig Double Bubble 'screen, M4 mufflers, PowerCommander III usb, etc - that's probably $1200 extra value right there.... (plus the jacket, helmets etc)

EDIT3: And for the love of God - polish those headers!

My Bike!
WP_000190.jpg

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike looks lovely, Not sure on currency but 3k sounds good to me.

The power commander can be removed easily. its plug and play. you just unplug from the OEM connecters and plug the OEM connectors back into each other.

Also you can purchase standard exhaust quite cheap and keep the M4's untill you feel you want more noise or sell them to cover the cost of the lever and bar end and a few other things you want.

seems like a good find as long as the bike rode ok when you tested it?

p.s i also used to use them tyres years ago and they held up quite well on the FZ6 if that means anything to you lol

Keep us informed

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
If you like the bike overall - get it. If you have doubts and not sure - bring mechanic to look it over to have a piece of mind.
You can easily sell pipes, power commander and steering damper here or on ebay if you don't like it and get mucho money back.
PCIII should easily go for 200-250, pipes will likely get you 300-400, damper - not sure what rnad it is but they are also not cheap so you should gte some good coin for it.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Also there is nothing missing from next to the tool kit

There should be a second strap, but those are cheap to replace.

With the slip-ons and remapping, fuel mileage will be decreased a bit, so you may only see high 30's to low 40's.

Also, changing the gearing will fix the speedo error (or at least make it a bit better), but it WILL change your odometer for the worse as well.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
There should be a second strap, but those are cheap to replace.

With the slip-ons and remapping, fuel mileage will be decreased a bit, so you may only see high 30's to low 40's.

Also, changing the gearing will fix the speedo error (or at least make it a bit better), but it WILL change your odometer for the worse as well.

This, i was sneaking on at work :spank: forgot to mention the strap, i took mine out as it has no use as of yet

jimbo92107

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks very grungy under the seat, which makes me wonder about the general maintenance. Buy a gallon of Armorall and clean that thing!

$3000 for a 2005 with 15k miles seems okay. I just bought a 2008 with under 6k miles for $4000, but that was a motivated seller. Mine is more stock than yours, but it did need new tires and brakes, and all the torques were completely screwed up. My rear wheel lug was under 29 ft lb (spec is 87) and the front was on so tight we had to use a second wrench for leverage. The rear brake bolts were finger tight (no wonder the brake was unused), and both tires were pumped up ten pounds too high. Oh, and the oil was over filled and the brake fluid was full of water. Jesus!

Buy yourself a couple torque wrenches (inch-pound and foot-pound), then check the torques of your rear wheel lug, front wheel lug, and all the brake bolts. Too many people are screwing up their bikes (and risking their lives) by ignoring proper torques.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that bike looks awesome and as mentioned before, if you're happy with it and you like the way it rides than why not get it, those mods alone will be way over $1000 if you were to buy a stock fz6 and than mod it, price seems more than fair. Also, if you don't like the mods, sell them on here, there is always people here looking to buy mods

tskorka

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 05 FZ6 and love it! But I agree that it looks kind of dirty under the seat and by the sound of the blemishes it was more than a driveway drop? Personally I would spend a little more and get an 07 or later because it is more refined and the guages are more appealling. But if you are happy with the ride and 3k is your spending limit, you should be fine!

Darken Dioxen

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if this helps with the decision, in my quick reading it sounds like you want to dump the M4's?

I have a stock exhaust from a 2007 that you or anyone that wants them can have for the cost of shipping from NY.

I bought the Leo Vince's and have been very happy with them overall.

With that exception my bike is stock with just over 8k miles on it...and I am getting 48 miles per gallon for my 20 mile commute, and round town puttering.

I mostly ride like an old lady on the way to church...so that might attribute to my numbers.

Anyway, if the 07 exhaust will work it's all yours.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 07 in march with 72xx miles for 3100 bone stock minus a home made fender eliminator kit and 2nd set of tires the exhaust and power commander can be sold the luggage rack if you have hard bags is worth a bit also for 3k it's good because of add ons just make sure you ask what kin of maintenance he did that's what really matters his neglect of maint can be your lack of an engine

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 07 in march with 72xx miles for 3100 bone stock minus a home made fender eliminator kit and 2nd set of tires the exhaust and power commander can be sold the luggage rack if you have hard bags is worth a bit also for 3k it's good because of add ons just make sure you ask what kin of maintenance he did that's what really matters his neglect of maint can be your lack of an engine

Actually the PO ( who put 99% of the miles on the bike) kept track of the maintenance in the manual.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 05 FZ6 and love it! But I agree that it looks kind of dirty under the seat and by the sound of the blemishes it was more than a driveway drop? Personally I would spend a little more and get an 07 or later because it is more refined and the guages are more appealling. But if you are happy with the ride and 3k is your spending limit, you should be fine!

The right side is what was dropped, the turn signal is scraped, the brake lever, as small scratch on the right hand case cover, etc. Are the engine mount bolts soft? Because it's ground a bit, but I would think if he dropped it at any speed over 2 mph there would be a broken turn signal/etc. Also where he dropped it at the end of his driveway is steep and uneven which must explain how the case cover got scratched. Is that a very big deal? The fairing isn't even damaged, which is kind of surprising.

I'm not surprised at the look of the underseat area, it's a bike, it gets dusty under there and the guy rarely rides the bike.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site

All of this ^ + 1.

I was shocked at how clean the bike was after reading all the power mods. Then I was shocked in the opposite direction at the dirt under the seat.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess for 3k you get what you pay for. Then again, look at all aftermarket stuff thrown on. Doesn't look like anybody ever cleaned under the seat. Hopefully so. There is still plenty of other bikes out there. Something about the dropped in the driveway part. Dollars to dog turds you could get the same bike, same miles, for the same amount of $..... Don't rush.

Last edited:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess for 3k you get what you pay for. Then again, look at all aftermarket stuff thrown on. Doesn't look like anybody ever cleaned under the seat. Hopefully so. There is still plenty of other bikes out there. Something about the dropped in the driveway part. Dollars to dog turds you could get the same bike, same miles, for the same amount of $..... Don't rush.

No rush, I'm actually not even 100% sold on FZ6. Right before I looked at the FZ, I looked at this gorgeous specimen: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100.

7460148728_90931505ff_b.jpg

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't want the aftermarket parts on the bike, wait for a stock one to pop up for sale. Plenty of bikes out there, so you shouldn't have to settle for one you don't want.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only you can decide the right bike for you - but that Kwaka is 5 years older, and there is a reason Kwakas have lower resale value....

Think about it purely as an exercise in economy.

For $3000 you can get a 2005 fZ6 with $1000 mods/upgrades AND probably $750 - $1000 worth of protective gear. (Joe Rocket jackets aren't cheap - over here anyway....)

You get the wealth of knowledge from the best damn forum on the 'net.

OR, you can get a last generation Kwaka that is both heavier and less manouverable (chuckable) than an FZ6, with unknown maintenance history (you said the FZ6 owner documented everything?)

Only you can decide - but if they both 'feel' the same, I'd get the newer bike.

The FZ6 really is a remarkable machine - acts like a nice commuter - until you get it over 8000rpm - then it's an out and out sportsbike.

And if it's fuel economy you're after - I'll bet the FZ6, with it's newer technology and EFI is more efficient that a carb-fed 2000 Kwaka. (mine gets 43 - 49mpg on the half 70mph/35mph 60km (38mi) commute into work.

The Kwaka has a 5 speed 'box (FZ6 is 6 speed)
The Kwaka is 30kg (66lb) heavier
The Kwaka has a lower top speed (230kph/143mph)
The Kwaka only has a single headlight (redundancy is key!)
The Kwaka doesn't have a built-in engine immobiliser (cheaper insurance for the FZ6)
The Kwaka has slightly more HP (106vs97) but is 5yrs older - so may well have dropped off more. (so then you've got a bike 15% heavier with roughly the same HP and only 5 gears)

So - as you can see, there are many, many reasons to choose the FZ6 - but only you can decide whether a stationary drop and slight scratching on the engine case/blinker/bar end is enough for you to forgo the better bike.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
The zrx is immaculate w/ less than 8k miles. I was thinking heavier could be a good thing. On a windy day, the ex250 would get blown around quite a bit. It looks as though the fZ6 weighs almost the same.

Do you guys/gals feel like you get blown around on the fz6?