Looked at an FZ6 last night...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a pic of my brothers 1200 in blue. Even though green seemed to be the most popular I have seen red ones. The black to me looks the best.

6282815343_95bf57a717_z.jpg

Sharp bike still in blue. I believe the 1200 came out maybe in 2001 or 2002? I don't they made any other changes short of displacement.

I believe 2000 was the ONLY year, the black color was offered. Green, as you stated was the predominant color (and still is for Kawasaki).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the help. Here's what I've been doing with it lately. I've been riding it, when it's not too friggin' hot.

I added my RAM mount for the Garmin Nuvi. I added some OES frame sliders (the longer ones). I replaced the slightly bent and scratched brake lever. I touched up a few scratches on the engine cases using some high heat silver. It's hard to tell anything was scratched.

I really wanted some hard luggage, so I ordered up the Givi tail rack arms (FZ351), sidecase racks (PL351), and a pair of E21 cases. The arms and the sidecase racks will be coming in tomorrow. So I decided to tear down the tail section of the bike last night in preparation.

7575119258_34e134fa52_b.jpg

I also had received a stock muffler from Darken Dioxen (THANKS AGAIN, SO MUCH!) so I decided to install that to see how it sounds. I just had to run to the hardware store to pick up a bolt for the exhaust clamp. I think I prefer the more subdued sound of the stock exhaust. I'm going to hold on to the M-4's for a bit so I can decide what to go with. In the meantime, I feel like the bike will be running a bit rich with the dynojet mapped for the m-4's. Just to make totally sure, can I just unplug the Dynojet PCIII and run the stock ECU? And, if I decide to go back with the PCIII, can I just plug it back in to have the map for the M-4's?

Also, while scanning the interwebs, I came across some frame caps that somebody was making and selling. My family owns a hardware store, so I figured I could duplicate them pretty reasonably. You be the judge:

7575099238_a6db04138a_b.jpg

7575102472_230b36e50c_b.jpg

I just used stainless allen bolts, fender washers, and some rubber well nuts. It cost around 5 dollars for the parts.

Also, if I decide to keep the stock setup, I'd be interested in selling the m4's with the PCIII as a package. PM me if you're interested.

This is everything except the t-bracket that connects to the rear fender, which I have, I just didn't realize it was specific to the m-4's until after I installed the stock exhaust.

7575114538_8186a9d808_c.jpg

IMHO, I'd pass on the frame caps (although yours look good), only because its just another place or water to get into and cause problems..

While your scrubbing her down, check under the front sprocket cover, there are three allan head bolts, you don't have to remove the shifter linkage. It usually gets gunked up under there from chain lube (and lack of cleaning). Some kerosene and a small paint brush will get all the crap I suspect is in there (and it won't bother your chain). Gently rinse with water.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
After beginning to install the givi racks, I went back to the M4 exhaust. It was just much easier to mount up with the aftermarket exhaust.

I am running into a problem with the turn signals. The wiring is too short from where they were re-located and I didn't really want to cut and splice the stock signals. :(

I also buggered up the threads on one of the bolts, but I can always go get a new one from the hardware store.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently set up my FZ6 with some Givi E21 sidecases. In order to do this, you must also have the monorack (150$) or a fit kit (30$). I wanted a top rack, but I didn't necessarily want to fit it with a Givi case, yet. I found out that I could just order the side arms for around 80$. This allows you to purchase a different style of top plate for different purposes. I figured in the meantime I would just bolt something to the top of the arms so that I could strap a dry bag to it. My original thought was a cutting board, but then I was at my local cheap tool shop and saw this:

7599522550_54c7ffc006_b.jpg

It's some kind of drywall tool that's basically a flat piece of aluminum with a hole in the center for a handle. I measured and drilled the holes for the Givi arms and bolted it on with the (mostly supplied) givi hardware. I had to run to the hardware to pick up 4 washers and 4 m6 lock nuts.

7599525494_6eec496186_b.jpg

That's it. It was 12 bucks and some change for the tool, 3 bucks and some change for the hardware ( I went stainless.)

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't read the whole thread, but something that jumped out at me was the helmets. I've always read/been told don't ever wear someone else's used helmet. It's worn in to the shape of their head, you don't know if it was cleaned with something that could weaken the plastic, or how it was treated.

I am rather fond of my brain, so I will only wear a helmet that I bought new.

So that's not an added value. Also, the steering damper, like everyone said, is way unnecessary on this bike :eek:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike! She's a beauty.

P.S. If it bothers you that one of your exhaust tips is darker than other (couldn't help but notice it) then I'd recommend getting some high heat black and painting the inside of the exhaust to keep them consistent. I did this on my car (which has the same thing) and I think it makes a big difference. :)

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't read the whole thread, but something that jumped out at me was the helmets. I've always read/been told don't ever wear someone else's used helmet. It's worn in to the shape of their head, you don't know if it was cleaned with something that could weaken the plastic, or how it was treated.

I am rather fond of my brain, so I will only wear a helmet that I bought new.

So that's not an added value. Also, the steering damper, like everyone said, is way unnecessary on this bike :eek:

I don't think I plan on wearing it. It's kind of gross wearing somebody elses helmet, but if somebody wants to purchase it from me, they can.

;)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. My helmet is mine alone, but the value of those helmets can not be denied. Take them to a 2nd dealer and sell them. Even if you only get $20ea, that $20 still offsets the purchase price.

Depending on the quality and condition, you may get offered quite a bit more

Cheers,
Rick

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Another Ninjetter...:rockon: Are you as happy as I am with the move up? The best thing for me is no more buzz, and a solid highway ride.