Looked at an FZ6 last night...

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Would there be a problem with unhooking the power commander and still using the slip ons? I understand that it would run a little leaner, but I thought I read that the bike came "jetted" rich from the factory?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would there be a problem with unhooking the power commander and still using the slip ons? I understand that it would run a little leaner, but I thought I read that the bike came "jetted" rich from the factory?

The Scorpion cans I have say they are tuned to be fitted without dynotuning or having to use a PowerCommander, so maybe.

Jump on the pipes manufacturers site and see what they reckon.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: From the M4 manufacturers site (although I couldn't see the pipes you have) -

Q: Do I need to re-jet or re-map?

A: It is not absolutely necessary to re-jet or re-map after installing a new M4 system. Your bike will run fine if you don't. In most cases, however, the ride and performance will be enhanced with optimal jetting and mapping.

Last edited:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
The Scorpion cans I have say they are tuned to be fitted without dynotuning or having to use a PowerCommander, so maybe.

Jump on the pipes manufacturers site and see what they reckon.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: From the M4 manufacturers site (although I couldn't see the pipes you have) -

Q: Do I need to re-jet or re-map?

A: It is not absolutely necessary to re-jet or re-map after installing a new M4 system. Your bike will run fine if you don't. In most cases, however, the ride and performance will be enhanced with optimal jetting and mapping.

Thanks, mave!

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Once PC is disconnected - disconnect battery wires and connect back. It should reset everything to default and will allow bike to learn new map.
It is true for S2 and I think it should work on pre-07 models as well.
Someone with S1 please correct me if I am wrong.

And CONGRATS on the bike!:rockon:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some (post wash) pics:

7469728050_45fbcd6b92_b.jpg

7469730900_9c469faa4e_c.jpg

7469733894_190f3da684_b.jpg

7469736712_d7b0162019_c.jpg

Can't forget the ever important "under seat" shot:

7469741614_d1c6873d92_c.jpg

I'm going to ride it as is and check the fuel mileage. If it isn't up to snuff, I'll figure out how to load a different map, or just disconnect the PCIII. There is a lot of power that I will probably never use. I ride like a cruiser rider, but I just can't get into the dressing like a pirate thing. ;)

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, while I was washing the bike, a little green screw fell to the ground. It had coarse thread and a big head. I looked around and it looks like there is a screw missing at the very bottom of the windscreen where it comes to a point. I tried screwing it in there, but it wouldn't take. Do you think this is where the screw came from?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is true for S2 and I think it should work on pre-07 models as well.
Someone with S1 please correct me if I am wrong.

And CONGRATS on the bike!:rockon:

Apparently, as the S1 doesn't have an O2 sensor, there is little benefit in doing this.

I did it anyway, on MY 2005, when I fitted the Scorpions and PC3usb.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mikesova - bike looks absolutely gorgeous!

It's a testament of how it was treated, that it looks so good.

I personally would do an oil change and filter change, just because then I know what I'm working with - but if it's been cared for in such a way, I really wouldn't be concerned with the maintenance. (fully synthetic motorcycle oil and Purolator PL14610 filter for the win!)

The previous owner/s obviously loved it as much as I do mine.

I also would recommend getting used to the pipes, rather than removing them.

Firstly, stock pipes will be such a let down after the grumble of the M4s!
But most importantly, the louder pipes will help raise peoples awareness of you.

Some try and say it makes no difference, but I have seen first hand, since putting my Scorpions on, that pedestrians and other motorists seem more aware of me now my pipes are a bit louder.

Cheers,
Rick

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT - looks like I'm late to the party and you already bought it. Congrats.

Damage - all that from a driveway drop? Can you post pictures? Sounds more like a low speed crash (grinding implies sliding) but I still woouldn't worry about it too much.

The Kawi - pass. the FZ is a much better bike in every single category. Now if your'e considering a Ninja 650 or SV or Versys that would be a different story.

Mileage - if you ride through a full tank without stopping more than once and under "normal" conditions with average spirited riding you should achieve 55 mph +, not low 40s. If it takes you a week of running around, parking lot posing, commuting, and other misc. short trips with stop signs, lights, traffic, and lots of cold starting, of course your math will result in low 40s.

PCIII - not an issue and I wouldnt hold it against the guy for not wanting to mess with it. Some people just don't get into that stuff. SOunds like it's dialed in so no reason to touch it.

D-a-m-p-e-n-e-r -- sell it and pocket the cash...same with pipes if you don't like them.

Price - seems pretty spot on

Last edited:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
I just noticed out in the garage, when I turn the key on, both front indicators light up. If you hit the turn signal switch, they still work by blinking, but they are both always lit. That can't be right, can it?

Edit: I just read something about a "running light"...Is that why my buddies WR250r indicators had 3 wires going to them?

Last edited:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Was it this way when you took it for the pre-purchase ride?

Or did it happen after you washed it?

Cheers,
Rick

It's how it's supposed to be. The front indicators have dual filament bulbs one is always going when the bike is on as a "running light". That's why there are 3 wires going to the turn signals in the front.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the help. Here's what I've been doing with it lately. I've been riding it, when it's not too friggin' hot.

I added my RAM mount for the Garmin Nuvi. I added some OES frame sliders (the longer ones). I replaced the slightly bent and scratched brake lever. I touched up a few scratches on the engine cases using some high heat silver. It's hard to tell anything was scratched.

I really wanted some hard luggage, so I ordered up the Givi tail rack arms (FZ351), sidecase racks (PL351), and a pair of E21 cases. The arms and the sidecase racks will be coming in tomorrow. So I decided to tear down the tail section of the bike last night in preparation.

7575119258_34e134fa52_b.jpg

I also had received a stock muffler from Darken Dioxen (THANKS AGAIN, SO MUCH!) so I decided to install that to see how it sounds. I just had to run to the hardware store to pick up a bolt for the exhaust clamp. I think I prefer the more subdued sound of the stock exhaust. I'm going to hold on to the M-4's for a bit so I can decide what to go with. In the meantime, I feel like the bike will be running a bit rich with the dynojet mapped for the m-4's. Just to make totally sure, can I just unplug the Dynojet PCIII and run the stock ECU? And, if I decide to go back with the PCIII, can I just plug it back in to have the map for the M-4's?

Also, while scanning the interwebs, I came across some frame caps that somebody was making and selling. My family owns a hardware store, so I figured I could duplicate them pretty reasonably. You be the judge:

7575099238_a6db04138a_b.jpg

7575102472_230b36e50c_b.jpg

I just used stainless allen bolts, fender washers, and some rubber well nuts.

Also, if I decide to keep the stock setup, I'd be interested in selling the m4's with the PCIII as a package. PM me if you're interested.

This is everything except the t-bracket that connects to the rear fender, which I have, I just didn't realize it was specific to the m-4's until after I installed the stock exhaust.

7575114538_8186a9d808_c.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrates on the new bike. I had a 2000 ZRX1100 and it definitly is more bike than than the FZ, especially for a newer rider. I think you made a good choice.

The ZRX, was much better on the highway (heavier and no heat from the engine) and would easily go into the triple digits like a 1300 or 1400CC bike... It also had MUCH better front brakes, 6 pistons per front disc and would flat stop on a dime with rubber hoses yet...Much easier to get into trouble with too...

Last edited:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrates on the new bike. I had a 2000 ZRX1100 and it definitly is more bike than than the FZ, especially for a newer rider. I think you made a good choice.

The ZRX, was much better on the highway (heavier and no heat from the engine) and would easily go into the triple digits like a 1300 or 1400CC bike... It also had MUCH better front brakes, 6 pistons per front disc and would flat stop on a dime with rubber hoses yet...Much easier to get into trouble with too...

I like that color scheme even better. It's just a really good looking bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like that color scheme even better. It's just a really good looking bike.

I rode a friend's 1999 bike(had a ball it was sooo quick and stopped unbelieveably quick), same color scheme as what you posted.

I found out Kawasaki was coming out with the black/gold/silver combo in 2000. I had to order and wait for it...

Not as fast as the FJR but a smaller engine with NO HEAT on the legs..

The ergonomics are very close to the FZ, (bars, pegs to seat, etc)

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Here is a pic of my brothers 1200 in blue. Even though green seemed to be the most popular I have seen red ones. The black to me looks the best.

6282815343_95bf57a717_z.jpg