Looked at an FZ6 last night...

tskorka

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to own a Ninja 250 and definitely was blown around on the highway. It could be a scary feeling! But the FZ6 feels very stable on the highway in comparison.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The zrx is immaculate w/ less than 8k miles. I was thinking heavier could be a good thing. On a windy day, the ex250 would get blown around quite a bit. It looks as though the fZ6 weighs almost the same.

Do you guys/gals feel like you get blown around on the fz6?

A 40mph cross wind will blow ANYTHING around - but other than that, not especially so.

One thing I didn't mention is the deterioration of rubber.

The rubber boots to the carbs may well have deteriorated and thus let air in.

And sychronising carbs is much harder than throttle bodies. (more to go wrong)

Needles and jets etc....

I am firmly of the opinion that if the FZ6 feels nice to ride, you'd be much better served with the later bike.

EFI, lighter, extra gear (transmission), wider rear tyre, electronic reserve compared to the manual tap (that wont automatically show on the dash and change to reserve mileage counter, like the FZ6 does), newer brakes lines, newer cooling system hoses etc.

The Kwaka has an old style, under the motor frame, the FZ6 is an open cradle where the motor is an integral part of the frame - this gives you better ground clearance - and the frame is alloy, whereas the Kwaka is steel and prone to rust etc.

It's like driving a 2000 Camaro compared to a 2005 Camaro - the chassis is different, the suspension points are different/have evolved etc.

Sure, one might be 'immaculate', but on the road you'll be glad you took the one with the mild scratches if you get the FZ6.

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And let's not forget - the Kwaka only has 8000mi in 12 years. (didn't the previous owner WANT to ride it? i.e. not comfortable, maybe?)

That low mileage isn't always a good thing - it means it's been sitting, gathering corrosion, stale fuel has been sitting in the tank/fuel system/gumming up the carbs, the oil has been sitting in the bottom of the motor, so anything above this line is prone to corrosion.....

Cheers,
Rick

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
As much as I love my FZ6 - I'd seriosly think about ZRX. But I'd be looking for 1200. However after 250 it could be a little too much.
ZRX1200 is one serious machine. Suspension can be sorted out and carbs are easy to work on. Two of riding buddies have them and love them.

And while it is true that horsepower is just a bit more for zrx1100 - two things:
No replacement for displacement
Bags of torque

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
In summary: Mave hates kawis.

jk... They are all valid points, and I personally would not remotely consider it over the FZ6. It's a blast, you've-got-to-be-kidding-me easy to maintain, and damn near bullet proof. A member here has one with over 75,000 miles and by all accounts, runs like a top.

You will have to visit a kawi counterpart forum to hear many people pushing you in that direction.

Good luck!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In summary: Mave hates kawis.

Actually, no.

My bike (ScorpioZ) before my current bike (FZ6), before my bike (TDM900), before my bike (TDM580) was a Kawasaki Z750, and it took me from Brisbane to Townsville (1400kms/870mi) before I sold it.

It was my only ride for 2 years and did thousands of kms.

But, when discussing a last generation carb-fed bike vs a current generation EFI bike, there is no comparison.

The Kwaka uses the 1970s vintage steel frame, vintage carburettion etc. The FZ6 is EFI, computer controlled, has an alloy cradle frame, is lighter, has a second headlight (so if one blows you can still get home, on the Kwaka you're in the dark) and is just darn sexy!

The FZ6 is more ergonomically designed, more comfortable for long distances (I couldn't ride my Z750 for two weeks after 1400kms, the FZ6 I can ride later that day!) and would be easier getting around.

The FZ6 will be easier to ride because it's lighter and doesn't have such high torque (the Kwaka is much higher torque than the FZ6, but only a little more HP)

The FZ6 is a much more livable machine around town, compared to the big lumbering Kwaka - this I know from experience.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: On second thoughts, I had two Honda CB750/4s and a CB900 Baldor in between the Kwaka and the TDM850....

Last edited:

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
And again - despite all my love for FZ6 (I honestly could not bring myself to upgrade this year as I did not see a point) - ZRX11/1200 is a cult bike already, modern classic. I see only couple of points for OP to not get ZRX:
1. too much of a jump from 250
2. Afaik, no hard bags options and OP would like to do some touring

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, no.

My bike (ScorpioZ) before my current bike (FZ6), before my bike (TDM900), before my bike (TDM580) was a Kawasaki Z750, and it took me from Brisbane to Townsville (1400kms/870mi) before I sold it.

It was my only ride for 2 years and did thousands of kms.

But, when discussing a last generation carb-fed bike vs a current generation EFI bike, there is no comparison.

The Kwaka uses the 1970s vintage steel frame, vintage carburettion etc. The FZ6 is EFI, computer controlled, has an alloy cradle frame, is lighter, has a second headlight (so if one blows you can still get home, on the Kwaka you're in the dark) and is just darn sexy!

The FZ6 is more ergonomically designed, more comfortable for long distances (I couldn't ride my Z750 for two weeks after 1400kms, the FZ6 I can ride later that day!) and would be easier getting around.

The FZ6 will be easier to ride because it's lighter and doesn't have such high torque (the Kwaka is much higher torque than the FZ6, but only a little more HP)

The FZ6 is a much more livable machine around town, compared to the big lumbering Kwaka - this I know from experience.

Cheers,
Rick

I agree on Kawa 750 vs FZ6, FZ6 wins hands down. But you can't judge ZRX based on your experience with 750. Try ZRX and I can assure you - you will be blown away. Great bike, power and torque on tap anywhere in the rpm range, awesome seating position and as I mentioned - you know it is ZRX even if all you see is remote dot on the highway.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to own a Ninja 250 and definitely was blown around on the highway. It could be a scary feeling! But the FZ6 feels very stable on the highway in comparison.

I was blown all over the place on my old trusty 1989 GS500E. And you know what - now I actually miss it sometimes, it was fun!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
My brother has a ZRX1200 it may look old school but it still has better brakes and suspension then the FZ. It also has tons of torque and ride real smooth. See if you can take them both for a ride.

If you were looking at a 07+ FZ6 I'd give the nod to the FZ.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
The cons of the ZRX for me are it needs new tires (Original equipment) carbs and valve check schedule. I can go another 10,000 miles on the FZ6 without needing to even think about the valves.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
The cons of the ZRX for me are it needs new tires (Original equipment) carbs and valve check schedule. I can go another 10,000 miles on the FZ6 without needing to even think about the valves.

In your situation I would continue to look for nice example of FZ.
When I got my FZ6 and got couple of seasons on it I started to have some doubts - if I should've went straight to 1000cc+ bike. This year I dedicated lots of time to test ride plenty of different bikes - from 650 to 1300 and found out that my choice was right. While liter bike has its pros - IMHO, FZ6 is a perfect 2nd bike and more. No doubt I will change to something else at some point (may be Monster 1100 Evo or ZRX1200 or may be even new 2012 V-strom 650 (love this bike!) but for now - FZ6 fits the bill in terms of enought power, insurance friendly and great all rounder.

For particular ZRX in question - not sure how much do they want for it but if u still considering it don't be put off by required maintenance. For the bike this age I would rather get additional discount and get bike which needs some work as I can do it myself and make sure it is done right and not just for sake of mention in the ad.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to make it seem like I was turned off by this FZ6, I was actually impressed. The exhaust was a little loud, but I can change it back to stock pretty easily and the very minor damage can be fixed pretty easily with a few bolt on parts. I more or less want to know if it's a decent deal. It seems decent to me, but I figured you guys would know best. There are many things I like about FZ6, fuel injection, 26,000 mile valve checks, center stand, standard riding position, etc. On paper it's basically my perfect bike. The only thing that would make it much better for me would be belt drive. ;)

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Belt drives - I know of several folks who got little stones under the belt and it was royal pain in the ass.
Shaft - if it was not mantained properly - potential seals leak, nevermind final drive failures on beemers
Chain - lube it often and you may get 200K out of it (like one of V-strom owners I know did). And since you are considering touring - let's say you are in the deep boonies and your final drive fails. I think chain and sprockets will be way easier to find then belt or shaft fix.

As for FZ you found - if you like it go get it! I personally like 2007+ - many minor upgrades, main for me was instrument cluster - I like my tach analogue thank you very much :).

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Belt drives - I know of several folks who got little stones under the belt and it was royal pain in the ass.
Shaft - if it was not mantained properly - potential seals leak, nevermind final drive failures on beemers
Chain - lube it often and you may get 200K out of it (like one of V-strom owners I know did). And since you are considering touring - let's say you are in the deep boonies and your final drive fails. I think chain and sprockets will be way easier to find then belt or shaft fix.

As for FZ you found - if you like it go get it! I personally like 2007+ - many minor upgrades, main for me was instrument cluster - I like my tach analogue thank you very much :).

Huge loss in efficiency of movement (drag) with belt drive too - as there is with shaft. (but a well maintained shaft drive trumps chain any day of the week - it's so smooth!)

The benefit with chain is easier replacement and you can SEE the condition, whereas with shaft, you know about it when it clunks or seizes completely.

I think for $3000 that FZ6 is pretty good value - and when you consider you're getting around $2000 worth of extras (helmets, jacket, pipes, PowerCommanderIIIusb, Puig double bubble 'screen etc) that means the bike is only really costing you $1000.

If you don't like the pipes, I can guarantee someone on here will take them in a heartbeat (as with the PCIII)....

Cheers,
Rick

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Just called and offered 2900$. It was accepted. I'm going to take it for a little bit longer ride to make sure the gears are all working properly today and bring it home. I did the ride in town and don't think I even got to 6th gear the other day.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Just called and offered 2900$. It was accepted. I'm going to take it for a little bit longer ride to make sure the gears are all working properly today and bring it home. I did the ride in town and don't think I even got to 6th gear the other day.

Uh oh......how long before we hear "I think there is something wrong with second gear cause it clunks when upshifting into it" .......lol. Something we've all said ourselves.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that sounds like a good deal.

If you want fuel economy either get it tuned or go back to stock and get rid of the Power Commander.

Stock my FZ6 will get right at 50 mpg if I ride easy and shift at 7K rpms on my commute but I don't sit in traffic. The FZ6 is capable of 55+ mpgs if you are doing 45 mph the entire time with no stops...I get that when I tour on the Blue Ridge parkway at 45-55 mph the entire time. :thumbup:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Uh oh......how long before we hear "I think there is something wrong with second gear cause it clunks when upshifting into it" .......lol. Something we've all said ourselves.

I've read the shifting in 1st and 2nd is a bit notchy. Anything I should look for or double check before I hand over the cash?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've read the shifting in 1st and 2nd is a bit notchy. Anything I should look for or double check before I hand over the cash?

Nah - she'll be right.

Just remember, the 'box is clunky - but it is for everybody, and the clutch has a really small friction zone - but that again is just the bike, and you get used to it.

And get the bd43 mod wire so both of your headlights work on low beam, too.

Cheers,
Rick