Looking at a used FZ6... what do I need to know?

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
So a friend of a friend is selling his FZ6, and I'm going to take a look at it on Sunday. If the bike is nice, I'm selling my beloved Ninja500 and buying it!

I've run across the Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide, but wanted to ask y'all if there was anything specific to this bike that I should be on the lookout for.

It's blue, either '05 or '06, 2xxx mi, garage kept, probably right around $4k. Not sure about any mods or if I will be able to demo ride the bike, but I feel like my only concerns about an FZ in general are things that would be evident while riding (FI/throttle sensitivity, vibration issues, me loving 98hp a little too much).

Any tips from you experts out there?

Thanks!!

W

wrightme43

Pretty bullet proof bike. Check steering head bearings, but its not a deal breaker, just would need replacement, check that the fan works, and that there is no rust in the tank.

Thats about it.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the only pertinent information is how quickly you can get it into your garage. ASAP is not soon enough.

thing is there are so many things that are just right with this bike. it is sporty, it is comfortable, it is manageable, it is wild, it is a beast, it is a gentle companion, it is anything and everything. it is the perfect motorcycle. it is not too small, it is not too big.

sure its got a throttle that will take you 2-3 weeks to really get used to. but after you do you will forget all about it.

if you are bigger than 4 feet tall i would highly recommend installing the handlebars from the FZ1 (buy it direct from OEM and install yourself) unless you prefer having your elbows tucked in.

but, as i said, it is the perfect bike. it does everything it sets out to do and does it very well. and the throttle is not twitchy...it is just built specifically for you....you just need to take the time to get used to it :)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
make sure that the TPS recall was done, and also as mentioned before double check the steering head bearing. Just make sure that you give it a quick up and down and i am sure you will be pleased!

The FZ is a very bulletproof bike we all love it...

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I came from a Ninja 500 as well. the difference is quite big. You'll enjoy it. The '07+ are a little different and may be worth taking a look at too. $4k for a very good condition '05 or '06 isnot bad, especailly from a friend. Take it easy in the beginning as the brakes and throttle are much more sensitive compared to the Ninja.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make absolutely certain that the catastrophic converter isn't on backwards, you'll know right away if it is because when you let off of the throttle at about 90-95mph the gas tank lid has a tendency to open on its own. Then bounce up and down on the seat a whole bunch of times, while standing on the right side of the bike, making vroom vroom sounds and observe if there's any crenelation of the armature, but only on the slackened side.

And if it's blue, he should knock off at least $500 to help you with the re-painting costs.

Oh, and if he's been running anything but Amsoil-1 quasi-dino-synthetic oil, walk away, just walk away.

In all seriousness: the rest of folks have pretty much nailed it. It's a sweet, simple bike with a whole lot of potential and personality. As long as it hasn't been dumped (look for scratches and leaks) or thrashed on (how do the tires look? Are they utterly squared-off or worn down to the threads in the middle?) you should be fine.

Let us know how it works out!

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the encouragement and info!!

I love my Ninja for what it is -a friendly all-rounder that is the perfect tool to either embarrass all the guys riding the supersports when you trounce them in the canyons, or commute to work in an economical and fun way.

Now that I've had it for almost 2 years, I really want better brakes, better suspension, and more power!! So I was planning on getting a ZX-6R after riding a couple, but insurance woes and the fear of losing that "all-rounder" practicality had me looking at the FZ. I'd love to get an '07+ for the improvements, but this bike is a better deal and I keep telling myself that even if it's an '05 it's a step up from my 500.

I'll check into the head bearings (i'm guessing a search will fill me in on the details) and ask the owner about the TPS recall. I will most def make engine noises while sitting on it in the guy's garage to make sure that it feels right, but I thought blue is the fast color, right?

lonesoldier84, what is different about the FZ1 bars? narrower? lower?

Thanks to all of you for the info! I'll keep checking the board and let you know how it goes!

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Blue is definitely the faster color! :D

Make sure that you post pictures when you get it. Once you sit on one, you just have to have it. (That was my experince!)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lonesoldier84, what is different about the FZ1 bars? narrower? lower?

Thanks to all of you for the info! I'll keep checking the board and let you know how it goes!

The FZ1 handlebars are more straight. The FZ6 handlebars are more curved in. The fz6 bars will make your elbows tuck in. I didnt like that. I am installing fz1 handlebars before the snow melts here for this upcoming season. I like having my arms wide and comfortable rather than tucked in. Riding preference rly. It is a cost-effective alteration.

and from what you described in your subsequent post the fz6 is perfect for you man. the other bikes that could potentially fill this role all have shortcomings the fz6 excels in. Only bike that might be good instead is the VFR800 but thats more expensive and bigger/heavier. Sprint ST as well from triumph.

Ashbone

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a blue one (06) and I love it, I also have an R6, love that too, both totally different rides but basically the FZ6 does everything I want it too, simply put it is an excellent bike, you will love it!!

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever others said plus get the 07+ models for the much better looks. I upgraded the fairings and other parts on mine to 07+. I am more than pleased with it. At one time I was contemplating selling it off but this new cosmetic change has made me wanna keep it forever for commuting and get a Daytona 675 for tracks and canyon carving. Sprint ST/Aprilia Futura/VFR800 are great sport tourers but a tad too heavy. FZ6 is really the do-it-all swiss army knife.

Last edited:

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone here is confirming what I've been thinking. I feel like in my head I bought the FZ two weeks ago, haha.

Unfortunately, right before I left to check out the bike yesterday, the seller called to say that the battery was dead and asked to reschedule so he had time to get that fixed.

Looking on the bright side, this gives me:
a) a new battery if/when i buy the bike
b) some time to put my Ninja on the market to help finance the purchase of the FZ!

Check out the for sale section (once i hit 30 days membership :( ) or LA craigslist if you're looking for an '06 Red Ninja 500 ;)

Last edited:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I went from the 07 ninja 650 to the black 08 fz6 and I am a happy camper. The fz6 is an all around amazing bike. Comparing it to the ninja 650 - is straight up faster, lighter, can take those windy turns as well as if not better than the ninja, and looks way better.

The throttle and clutch took some getting used to - as it would when riding any new bike.

But the black 08 is definitly 200% faster than the blue fz. I love my dark and mysterious robotic nightmare horse wench from hell.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my dark and mysterious robotic nightmare horse wench from hell.

Haha, that's great. I'm back from work, going to bed, waking up tomorrow and (finally) checking out the FZ6. :rockon:

You guys have no idea how bad I want this bike in my garage right now. It's like that commercial for Disneyland where the kid goes, "I'm too excited to sleep!" :D

The distant drone of sportbikes racing on an empty freeway at 3AM fuels my dreams even further...

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
It is MINE!!!! 2005, blue, 1800 miles (!!!) $4k. Missing toolkit, but owner gave me spare oil and filter he still had.

Just got back from a night-time ride up Mulholland to Kanan and back down the 101. Wow, thaaaaat's what power feels like :)

Bars are a bit high and vibrate a bit, definitely a slight hesitation when I open the throttle near 6k RPMs -but only occasionally. Don't think the owner brought the bike back for the TPS recall fix, but I'll look into it.

Wow!! I love it. I'm going to order up some BT-016's and some frame sliders right quick. Then the fender elim, different bars, springs? rearsets? headlight mod?

...oh man I'm a gonner. :D

jdough7

Reaction score
Visit site
Thread Ressurection:

I too am looking at a couple of FZ6's as well as other bikes (SV650s and Ninja 650Rs {if i can find any}). Found 2 '06, 6500 and 2300, respectively.

First the 6500mi, I saw it in person today. CHERRY! plus arkapovic exhaust, small rear signals, and frame sliders. Being sold by a dealership. Previous owner traded in for VFR800 so I'm assuming he's more of a touring buff than racer and was easier on the bike, but just an assumption.

2300mi bike, should be seeing it thursday. Private seller getting rid of it since he lives in the city and doesn't have use for it. judging from pics no mods. supposed to be mint.

Both are going for $5200, which is $480 above bluebook suggested retail. To me this makes the dealer bike a bargain, and the private bike a little over priced. Your thoughts? Looking online, the exhaust alone goes for between $725 and $825, so i feel like I'm going to let a great deal slip thru my fingers.

The dealer isn't open to test rides so I'm going to have to go to another dealer and try one of theirs. So other question is how much do the '07s and later differ from the '06?

Thanks, ride safe
Jay