More helmet viewing.

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a question for you guys......a few month back decided to purchase a new helmet. Nothing strange about that you may be thinking, but the problem that I've had is all the helmets seem to have a similar viewing window.

Now the problem I have is when I try to look back I find that I am restricted with my view when looking for traffic. So the question is why don't the manufacturers give more us more viewing through the visor, say take the visor further round the side of the Helmet. I know that all helmets have to go through a certain amount of tests, but surely with all the technology available today they could come up with a better design. :eyebrow:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
You must have eyes on stalks. I can't see the edge of my visor if I look left / right. I've never even noticed a lack of side to side vision. I do look back over my shoulder when entering traffic but I do by turning my head.

All that said, some helmets do have better side vision than others but there is only so much you can do and maintain the integrity of the helmet. My current helmet is a Shoei GT Air and that seems to have a very wide field of view. You could also try the old style 3/4 helmet, no chin guard. They look like they may have a wider, unobstructed field of vision.

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Normal peripheral vision is between 200 degrees and 220 degrees. Federal safety standards require that helmets provide 210 degrees of vision. (This is the US standard... May be different in different places).

Unless you aren't able to turn your head or you have some irrational fear of using mirrors it's tough to see why you would need a wider opening. :confused:

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently upgraded to Shoei. I think I remember reading in their marketing that they have a wider visor opening for better visibility. The difference is noticeable to me. I find it easier for turning and for glancing over my shoulder for lane changes. I don't have to turn my head quite as far.

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYFla-d1lKA]Reevu MSX1 Rear View Mirror Motorcycle Helmet - YouTube[/ame]

FTW! lol interesting concept :D

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a very interesting helmet concept. I think for me it would be more of an annoyance/distraction, but I think the concept is pretty cool and for other people maybe it would work.

I can't wait until they make one that reflects the image in front of me to a large mirrored surface on the back of the helmet so it looks like I am headless.:BLAA:

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the funny thing, I just recently bought a Shoei Qwest and coming from a cheap, Cycle Gear Bilt Cyclone, the Qwest's peripheal vision is not quite as good as the Cyclone's.

It's not terribly different though, and the comfort alone, is enough reason for me to never go back to the Cyclone.