Motorcycle selection in U.S. sucks!

aj_fz6

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why the U.S. consumer gets the shaft when it comes to motorcycle selection? I've been helping my friend shop for a new bike and it is becoming very frustrating. Unless you want a crotch rocket or a cruiser you are very limited in your options. Throw in the fact that he wants a relatively low seat height and he's royally screwed.

When we look at the models available in Europe we are both blown away. Even the Canadians have more models to choose from than us. Does anyone have an answer to this? I've Googled all day and can't find a good reason.:confused:

I'd say that the main reason for this is that the US demand for motorcycles is not as much as the markets you mention. The reason behind this is that those markets use motorcycles as a main source of transportation and for fuel economy since they pay as much as 3 times what we pay here for gas in the U.S. In the U.S. motorcycling is regarded more as a "hobby" rather than an economical source of transportation. Hope this helps ;)

I'd say you are right on with this. Just take a trip to Italy or Paris (if you haven't already) and you'll be blown away by the # of bikes on the road and as Red06 stated, it is for many of them their prime means of transportation.

Now wait a minute, here in the good ole' US of A we have about 176 different varieties of cruisers, it that ain't choice in motor-sickles, I don't know what is!

Using your suggestion I was able to find some statistics.

2008 Motorcycle Statistics - webBikeWorld

Of particular interest is the "motorcycles in use worldwide" table. Unfortunately the data for the U.S. is not as current as the other countries in the table.

Now I see why Europe gets more models to choose from. But Canada? According to this report they have 90% fewer bikes in use than the U.S.

Using your suggestion I was able to find some statistics.

2008 Motorcycle Statistics - webBikeWorld

Of particular interest is the \"motorcycles in use worldwide\" table. Unfortunately the data for the U.S. is not as current as the other countries in the table.

Now I see why Europe gets more models to choose from. But Canada? According to this report they have 90% fewer bikes in use than the U.S.

Great link, thanks. The second to last chart tells it all, we don't ride motorcycles in the US. If I'm not mistaken we have a 50% of the bikes on the road now vs. the 1970s and 80s. Aging population I guess.

I live in Milwaukee, AKA Harley Davidson Town. I can shop for HD's until I pass out. However, if I want a modern motorcycle the selection around here isn't too bad either. There are several Japanese bike dealers in town, a Ducati/KTM/MV Augusta/Aprilia dealer to the north, and a Triumph dealer to the west. There's also a BMW dealer somewhere in town.

The downside is that the more exotic (non-Japanese bike) dealers don't carry very much stock since the demand around here is mostly HD's and Gixxers. Its nice to know I can order just about any bike, but its very difficult to see many of them up close before buying.

yeah i think you can get about anything you want in the US, but it's going to come in a crate dumped on your driveway. i don't think that's the end of the world though. not like you can take a (new) bike for a test ride anyway.

I'd say that the main reason for this is that the US demand for motorcycles is not as much as the markets you mention. The reason behind this is that those markets use motorcycles as a main source of transportation and for fuel economy since they pay as much as 3 times what we pay here for gas in the U.S. In the U.S. motorcycling is regarded more as a \"hobby\" rather than an economical source of transportation. Hope this helps ;)

I doubt that's really the case. While it's true that we pay more for fuel here in the UK than you do in the US, the UK doesn't really have the weather to be on a bike 365 days a year, although I must admit a fair number do.

I ride my FZ to use a much of the worlds natural resources as possible to make sure we run out of oil really quickly ;) Actually in my case it is at weekends as a 'hobby' I suppose if that's what you want to call it. I'd much sooner use it daily during summer months, but my employer would rather I used the car. Has nothing to do with economics in my case. :rockon:

Irregardless of the reasons (i.e. claim of no market in the U.S.), there is no legitimate reason to offer us something different than someone else. Why could we not get a naked version of the FZ6 - not everybody wants the fairing? I too think seat heights on most bikes are too tall -- heck most bikes these days are too big.

I'll suggest that some fool somewhere is telling those manufactures this is what we want and this is what we need. How so wrong they are!

I need a aspirin.

Irregardless of the reasons (i.e. claim of no market in the U.S.), there is no legitimate reason to offer us something different than someone else. Why could we not get a naked version of the FZ6 - not everybody wants the fairing? I too think seat heights on most bikes are too tall -- heck most bikes these days are too big.

I'll suggest that some fool somewhere is telling those manufactures this is what we want and this is what we need. How so wrong they are!

I need a aspirin.

grammartimegi7.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist! :thumbup: Its one of my favorite "words."

irregardless

an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from 1912, probably a blend of irrespective and regardless. Perhaps inspired by the double negative used as an emphatic.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

Last edited:
an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from 1912, probably a blend of irrespective and regardless. Perhaps inspired by the double negative used as an emphatic.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

Now I need two aspirin. :rolleyes:

I see your point. We probably don't get good choices in the US because our grammar sucks.:(

I would agree that the selection here isn't the best. But - when I was shopping, I wanted a bike in 450-650cc range. Now that selection sucks! My husband stumbled upon my FZ6 - and I am soooooo glad he did!! :cheer:

I'm massively irritated by FZ6 not coming with ABS in the US. Even if the Americanos mostly want cruisers or crotch rockets, I'd think we are all interested in avoiding accidents.

This is a CRUISER country PERIOD! That is not gonna change for long. Just look at the numbers in China and India but there are hardly 1% performance bikes among those. In that case Italy is the place to be for motorcycling.

Can you imagine a wicked mean streetfighter that directly comes from factory like the Z1000 being discontinued. This can only happen in the US. That is the only bike that I would have never changed in the looks department.
24357_0_1_4_z1000_Image%20credits%20-%20Kawasaki.jpg

Last edited:
I wish there were more upright riding bikes with smaller displacement. The 98 hp on FZ6 is way more than I'll ever use, but when I looked around, it seemed like any smaller displacement bike was considered entry level, and key features like gas gauges and tachs were missing. That's typical of the entire vehicle market in the US - engine size is directly related to overall vehicle quality. In a recent trip the the EU, I was amazed at how many small-engine cars there were that weren't at the same time junky econoboxes. No wonder the US's Big Three auto makers are begging for me to send them money (my taxes) to stay in business.

Back