My exhaust (Delkevic) go boom!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the way from work today, I noticed the bike sounded louder and raspier/tinnier than usual.

Got home and examined the exhaust:

u5ab.jpg

ftd5.jpg

That whole area where my hand is (about 4 square inches) is soft and *empty*.

I called up Delkevic and a very nice lady told me their warranty is 1 year.

Now, I'm not saying that Delk is crap.. I don't know how well the *good* names hold up. This thing lasted less than 2 years.. a bit over 12k miles. Not bad for the price, I suppose.. having paid less $200 shipped for it.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Right along the seam.....brutal. They should step up stand behind the product.
I would honestly call them back and "explain" to them what your expectations were of buying American.....and how disappointed you are....followed by your involvement in this forum. Not trying to dis a company but they need to stand behind their product and at least attempt to make you a happier consumer. It would cost them next to nothing.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right along the seam.....brutal. They should step up stand behind the product.
I would honestly call them back and "explain" to them what your expectations were of buying American.....and how disappointed you are....followed by your involvement in this forum. Not trying to dis a company but they need to stand behind their product and at least attempt to make you a happier consumer. It would cost them next to nothing.

Yeah, that would be nice. I kind of don't feel like bothering, to be honest. I shouldn't have to plead with them, nor should I have to threaten them by telling them that I'll share my experience with all my friends.
I think it's important to know that their first response was "sorry, you're out of 1 year warranty", after I explained that exhaust split at the seam and inside material seems to have either blown out or burned up.

Perhaps a case of getting what I paid for?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that would be nice. I kind of don't feel like bothering, to be honest. I shouldn't have to plead with them, nor should I have to threaten them by telling them that I'll share my experience with all my friends.
I think it's important to know that their first response was "sorry, you're out of 1 year warranty", after I explained that exhaust split at the seam and inside material seems to have either blown out or burned up.

Perhaps a case of getting what I paid for?
Oh man......
It looked like a great exhaust too! Whats the next choice besides re- rigging the land anchor?

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry man :(

Can't blame you for not wanting to fool with it. It may be the wiser course to avoid the trouble. Thanks for sharing the experience so the rest of us can be aware.

Welp, now what? New aftermarket cans?

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, that sucks. What bike was this on?

It sucks for you, and for my view on Delkevic in general. They always looked like a reasonably priced alternative to the more popular brands.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, definitely gonna look for a new can. No more cheapies. Boat anchor can certainly go on, but it's a bit of a PITA to install. It uses a butterfly valve with cables routed to a servo.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily call this a problem of a "cheapo" exhaust; have you ever repacked? Perhaps it comes from years of dirt riding, but I have seen a number of Carbon cans burn out in my riding career due to lack of repacking. Heck, even Two-Brothers recommends a repack every 5000 miles; even more frequent with carbon fiber given their sensitivity to heat.

I think some of the higher-end manufacturers use more/better packing material because thy cannot afford the bad press of burnt out silencers. But, it still happens; even with a $600 can!

Edit: Just a few repack schedules:
Yoshimura: 7,000-10,000 Miles
Two-Brothers: 5,000 Miles

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily call this a problem of a "cheapo" exhaust; have you ever repacked? Perhaps it comes from years of dirt riding, but I have seen a number of Carbon cans burn out in my riding career due to lack of repacking. Heck, even Two-Brothers recommends a repack every 5000 miles; even more frequent with carbon fiber given their sensitivity to heat.

Yeah, got the same question asked on FZ1 board. Never repacked it. I'm considering getting a repacking kit ($20) and a rivet gun and giving it a go.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the drill out! Joe! (Motojoe122) head over to Erci's and youz guyz open it up and patch that can! Aint nuttin those Jersey Boys can't fix! :rockon:

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my concern: just checked the can again and the whole inside part (the side facing the swingarm) is completely mushy. I can easily push it in 1/2" to 3/4" inch.

Seems like something else in there failed, not just packing material :don'tknow:

I'd pull it off right now and drill it out to see what's in there, but that would mean not riding to work tomorrow.. which is unacceptable!! (not the not-going-to-work park.. the not riding part!)

Don't want to order the repacking kit either, without knowing the pipe is fixable.
Such a conundrum!!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my concern: just checked the can again and the whole inside part (the side facing the swingarm) is completely mushy. I can easily push it in 1/2" to 3/4" inch.

Seems like something else in there failed, not just packing material :don'tknow:

I'd pull it off right now and drill it out to see what's in there, but that would mean not riding to work tomorrow.. which is unacceptable!! (not the not-going-to-work park.. the not riding part!)

Don't want to order the repacking kit either, without knowing the pipe is fixable.
Such a conundrum!!

Sad to say, but the failure means that is really past the point of repacking. Likely, it needed to be done about 5K ago; the lack of material between the inner baffle and the outer can has exposed the carbon to high heat. A big no-no.

Best off to either patch or move on at this point.

Sorry to hear man!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sad to say, but the failure means that is really past the point of repacking. Likely, it needed to be done about 5K ago; the lack of material between the inner baffle and the outer can has exposed the carbon to high heat. A big no-no.

Best off to either patch or move on at this point.

Sorry to hear man!

Thanks for clearing it up, Scooter! *Moving on* it is!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I think some of the higher-end manufacturers use more/better packing material because thy cannot afford the bad press of burnt out silencers. But, it still happens; even with a $600 can!

Edit: Just a few repack schedules:
Yoshimura: 7,000-10,000 Miles
Two-Brothers: 5,000 Miles

My TBs have some numbers way short of that. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 2500 miles. I was like "really" and say NO Dyno runs as they might go Boom Too!

Pull them open and take a look. Maybe toss a couple of beer cans in there as a new liner!!! :BLAA:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the drill out! Joe! (Motojoe122) head over to Erci's and youz guyz open it up and patch that can! Aint nuttin those Jersey Boys can't fix! :rockon:

I have some 2D carbon wrap.....We can fix that in a jiffy:BLAA:

Last edited:

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
since you're likely moving on anyway, might as well throw the anchor back on and tinker around with this one while it's off the bike to get a better assessment. good luck! let me know if you need any help (and by "help", i mean help holding your beer). :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
since you're likely moving on anyway, might as well throw the anchor back on and tinker around with this one while it's off the bike to get a better assessment. good luck! let me know if you need any help (and by "help", i mean help holding your beer). :D

LOL.. thanks, Ed! I won't be putting the stocker back on. I don't mind the temporary silo and the weight, but stock exhaust comes with EXUP.. a valve which sits in the mid-pipe. To hook it back up, I'd have to run the EXUP cables from exhaust back up to the servo which is just below the seat and then I'd have to *tune* it to get the valve to open at the right time.

I'll stick with the obnoxious, 2D carbon wrapped Folgers can that is my current exhaust, until new slip-on comes in (of course I first have to decide what to get).

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.. thanks, Ed! I won't be putting the stocker back on. I don't mind the temporary silo and the weight, but stock exhaust comes with EXUP.. a valve which sits in the mid-pipe. To hook it back up, I'd have to run the EXUP cables from exhaust back up to the servo which is just below the seat and then I'd have to *tune* it to get the valve to open at the right time.

I'll stick with the obnoxious, 2D carbon wrapped Folgers can that is my current exhaust, until new slip-on comes in (of course I first have to decide what to get).

I think FMF is making street stuff now and for the FZ1. it should be super high quality even though most people wont ever know about their street cans.

Products - Bike Finder - FMF Racing