My Sons New Ride

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My son bought his first motorcycle today. It is a UM V2S 250R that is 3 and 1/2 months old with 2,350 miles.

It is really a sweet ride and a great beginner bike. I know some may say "What's a UM"? It's a Korean bike with a V twin motor. I checked it out and found that they are pretty reliable. My son picked it up for $2,500 for a bike that lists for $4,399. I figure when he upgrades in a year he should be able to get most of his money back.

I attached some picks and am looking forward to some cruises with my son.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice ride. You and your son will make great memories riding together. I think about all the timesive riden with my dad and i smile everytime. I cant wait to get home so we can ride together again.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike. I used to have one, it is a Hyosung. They look good, not quite as well made as the Japanese ones, but cheaper.

W

wrightme43

I hope he has fun on it man.

How are those tires?
What kind?

How old?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice starter for him! Well done!!! :thumbup: Are you putting him through the BRC course?

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i beleive this bike is the same of Hyosung GT250 R
very popular around europe also...
good choice for a first bike for that kind of money

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, looks like a Hyosung, they are low spec, but very popular in Australia with new riders. They look fantastic.

:thumbup:

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope he has fun on it man.

How are those tires?
What kind?

How old?

They are Shinko's. They look pretty nice. I rode the bike and it rides nice. But my son is like really over the top.

It is almost as big as my FZ, so it doesn't really look like a beginner bike. I remember the old honda CB175's and they were much smaller than the CB350.

Anyway, I figure he will keep it for maybe a year, and then he will want a GSXR or R6 or something like that.

I'm just looking forward to cruising with my boy some!

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice ride. You and your son will make great memories riding together. I think about all the timesive riden with my dad and i smile everytime. I cant wait to get home so we can ride together again.

Yea, I'm looking forward to making those memories. He is pretty stoked about his new bike. I just transferred the tag from my XS100, cause it needs some top end work and is not going to be used in the near future. So maybe my son and I can cruise a little this evening.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike. I used to have one, it is a Hyosung. They look good, not quite as well made as the Japanese ones, but cheaper.

You are correct sir. But the research I did and the opinions I got were that they are decent bikes and fairly reliable. I think it will be a good first bike and it does look pretty awesome for a 250! And when you are 17, style means allot.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i beleive this bike is the same of Hyosung GT250 R
very popular around europe also...
good choice for a first bike for that kind of money

That was what put it over the top was the price. I'm mean the features and performance for the price, I just couldn't pass up.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice first ride. It is made in South Korea and are becoming popular over here in Europe because they are so cheap...even in Denmark. They do a very smart 650 when your boy wants to move onto a bigger bike.

I have never seen a review on the Hyosung though so do not know if the fastenings and shiny bits rust like the Chinese bikes do.

2500 miles in three and a half months on a 250. Well at least someone liked it.

I hope he enjoys it.

http://www.hyosung.com.au/Products/GT650R.html

Steve

Last edited:

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, looks like a Hyosung, they are low spec, but very popular in Australia with new riders. They look fantastic.

:thumbup:

True, they are not a Yamaha/Kaw/Honda/Suzuki but they are pretty sweet. But a gain, if I were buying new I would not buy the UM over the above, because the list is more than the new Kawasaki Ninja 250. But I could not touch a 08 Ninja with 2K miles for $2,500. So I was a good compromise. I figure he should be able to get at least $2,000 for it when he sells it, assuming he doesn't drop or slide it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They do rust like hell, - at least here in the Scandinavia climate. But weather or not this will be a problem where you are located I don't know.
(The climate here in Denmark will make almost anything rust)

If you wanna do that 1000 miler with me you had better do 3 things.

1. Look at my name and guess where you think I may be.

2. Tage din brille på

3. Delete your last entry to this thread.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Steve

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
If you wanna do that 1000 miler with me you had better do 3 things.

1. Look at my name and guess where you think I may be.

2. Tage din brille på

3. Delete your last entry to this thread.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Steve

And the message was gone :spank:

(And I know, - should be positive or keep my bloody mouth shut)

And just now (dooing an edit) I realise what you meant Steve :),- whey I wrote "you" I meant Oscar54, - not you (I know where you are!!)

Last edited: