New FZ6R or FZ6??

Which do you like now?

• I like the new FZ6R more!

Votes: 30 16.4%
  • I still the the FZ6 better!

Votes: 153 83.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still like the old FZ6 over the new FZ6R, but I'm not new to bikes and I've always loved the naked look. In regards to the engine, it seems like the new FZ6R is going to be faster off the line, but the FZ6 will probably take it in distance, like quarter mile runs. We'll just have to wait and see how they perform against each other.

I love my FZ6, but I think the new model is a really nice bike as well. It offers different features for different markets as mentioned before. If you look at the colors and the gallery in the yamaha-motor website, they are trying to get more in the female group of riders with the graphics in the white color or the star in the yellow (I like yellow but not that star or graphics...).

Is just something different for different markets. The FZ6 is still my favorite and would not change it even if the FZ6R was offered when I bought mine.

It is not really a replacement for the YZF600R. It makes less power, weighs more and has non adjustable suspension compared to the YZF600R.

I love my FZ6, but I think the new model is a really nice bike as well. It offers different features for different markets as mentioned before. If you look at the colors and the gallery in the yamaha-motor website, they are trying to get more in the female group of riders with the graphics in the white color or the star in the yellow (I like yellow but not that star or graphics...).

Is just something different for different markets. The FZ6 is still my favorite and would not change it even if the FZ6R was offered when I bought mine.

I'm yellow fan myself. I think the star is kinda cool though.

I can picture that yellow on the regular FZ6... If they change nothing but colors in 2010 then I really hope yellow is an option.

What about the orange R6?
09MS_YZFR6_O_S3_2994fad8.jpg

Still like the FZ6 better - the R looks nice at first glance but after seeing the components used and the decreased power I think its mehtastic.

It is not really a replacement for the YZF600R. It makes less power, weighs more and has non adjustable suspension compared to the YZF600R.

I disagree.

2007 Yamaha YZF600R Specifications+Comparison

Wet weight vs dry weight they are very similar, i agree that the adjustable suspension was nice on the yzf, but how many people out there have any idea whatsoever as to how to adjust it? Also the YZF only put down an advertised 88HP, and that was carburated so i would think that the smoothness and throttle response of the FI system would make up for it.

..., I know I would prefer one that I could adjust the seat height so that I could get my feet firmly on the pavement at a stop, ....

As I read about it on the Yamaha webiste, it is only adjustable up from the stock height for added comfort for taller riders on longer rides. So if you can't fit on it when the seat is normal, you won't be able to adjust the seat height to help, just to make it worse.

I bet they'll sell a metric butt load of these things. 99% of riders don't care about adjustability. They want a great looking bike at a good price.

In order to hit the price point and get the looks Yamaha "cheapened" the features out; swingarm, brakes, frame, suspension (I can't believe that is even possible). But the buyers get a great looking bike. For more riders this will work out great. I do thing the further de-tuned, re-tuned motor is a good idea.

At the Yamaha web site they mention "Mass Centralization", I bet Eric Buell is rolling over in a very far in the future grave. The irony of the whole thing is the new FZ is a porker. Too funny.

I think the FZ6 is more bike. Love the blacked-out naked underbelly. I like the low exhaust on the R much better than the underseat, but I don't like the R's extended rear fender at all. Something should be done to the FZ's nose, which is a little too clownish. Adding that ram air effect from the R would do it. I'm not sure how the R motor is downtuned, but if it pulls at lower RPM, and if it gets better MPG, I'm for that (probably heresy here). Generally, a combination of features, predominantly weighted toward the FZ6, would be best for me.

I love it........................

What a great mid life crisis bike, look at me I am fast (but not that fast) lol.

Seriously to me it looks like the spec is ****ed up as stated by the originator of this thread.
Yep I love the styling. The seat unit is great, I would happily lose my under-seat exhaust for that.
I do think that they have shot themselves in the foot by doing a budget job though. I can't wait for the magazine comparative tests and the first new member to call themselves "B'stard waif" nice one Elm.

Nelly

Last edited:
personally i dont like it but it is the first year. It will change to what the customer wants. I am one of the new riders its aimed at but they missed the target for me. If I where to buy one in the future here is what i would like to see the ram air is awesome duel under seat exhaust whether it be fz6 style or R1 style preferable R1 I just like it better. The fz riding position has to stay and the fairing is nice the gixxer style headlight has got to go and the yellow is frikkin sweet.

I still don't know if I like it yet. Looks like, to me, if FZ-1, FZ-6, and GSX650F had a baby and were on welfare, they would get this FZ6r.

Oh and it has no center stand right? That makes a big deal for budget buyers, I think...or at least it matters somewhat

I just wish the FZ6 came in white, although I don't think it would look as good as a faired bike.. I wish to retract my original selection of the fz6r. I don't like the prefer the faired look, or the 'flames' paint job. I was too hasty in my selection.

I think the only reason someone would buy an FZ6R over an FZ6 is if they like the looks more. It certainly won't perform better, actually worse, and costs about the same. And I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner bike.

Back on topic, I think the FZ6R is a sweet bike and generally like it.

I think the cast frame is better but the tube steel for this level is probably OK.

I think Yamaha is probably trying to keep the $7K price point with the cost of everything going up! You get the faring but give up the cast frame.

I still don't know if I like it yet. Looks like, to me, if FZ-1, FZ-6, and GSX650F had a baby and were on welfare, they would get this FZ6r.

Oh and it has no center stand right? That makes a big deal for budget buyers, I think...or at least it matters somewhat

What an imagination!:rof:

Dammit! I wanted to vote for the FZ6 but it hit the other one instead on accident. So if it ever comes to a tie know that I really voted for the FZ6 and NOT the r.

The FZ6 wins hands down. A new buyer could spend $300 more and get a better looking and better performing bike. Don't know why yamaha even made this thing. Could understand if it was less than 6k, but not when it costs as much as it does.

Side note: anyone seen the new R1?! I don't know why all jap liter bikes are getting so ugly!

Back