New guy. Should I pull the trigger?

PhilipEMT

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and bike shopping. I think I've decided on an FZ6 as my first bike, and I think I have found a good one. My reason for this thread is to ask some guys that know more about FZ6's if it seems like a good buy or if I should keep shopping..

I found a single-owner dark blue '08 ZF6 with 4400 miles. The bike is completely stock and absolutely flawless. It has a new set of Michelin Pilots. I've attached a few photos.

I dont want to post the asking price just yet because I dont want to skew my results, but I will update with how much the bike is. I'm just asking what you guys think would be a fair price for this bike in this condition.

Thanks,
-Philip

I just bought mine about 2 months ago off of local Craigslist. It is basically EXACTLY like yours, miles, condition, all stock, etc. It did have the original tires still though which I replaced.

I got a really good deal on mine and without revealing how much I paid, it was below $3000.

I would say if you're within a few hundred of the $3000 range you're doing pretty well on it!

PS---good luck on the purchase, great looking bike! Keep us posted!
(and thanks for the pics!!)

I just bought mine about 2 months ago off of local Craigslist. It is basically EXACTLY like yours, miles, condition, all stock, etc. It did have the original tires still though which I replaced.

I got a really good deal on mine and without revealing how much I paid, it was below $3000.

I would say if you're within a few hundred of the $3000 range you're doing pretty well on it!

wow.. this bike would cost twice that up here in Canada.. the American market drives me crazy sometimes, knowing how much I could've saved by driving south of the border!

I would say you absolutely stole that bike!! 08 with 4400 miles, new tires and mint condition.. I'd say $4300 would be a good deal. YMMV

riderlak1 you got a bargain!

PhilipEMT - Nice looking bike, I love the look even though I have the faster red version. :BLAA: Let us know how you do. You will not regret buying this bike.

Aren't all FZ6es great looking? :D Sounds like a great deal you should probably do it. You will absolutly love your new ride. Guaranteed. Enjoy and ride safe!
:rockon:

I agree with Eric somewhere close to 4,000 would be a fair price for a 08 with so few miles on it, someone really lucked out to find the same thing for under 3k

:welcome:to the forum PhilipEMT!

It would be hard to go wrong with the FZ6 let alone a clean one with low miles like that one. If this is your first bike just respect it because they wake up and start to become a different animal at 8k and above RPM. Many will tell you this is not a beginner bike. Just learn to be friends with it and All The Gear All The Time! ATGATT :rockon:

Wow guys, thanks for the warm welcome and helpful input!

Well, the asking price on the bike is $4200, so from the sound of it the seller is right on the money. I think I'm going to do it. I'm 27, I've been dying for a motorcycle since age 15. I think I've waited long enough.

And regarding AGATT- That will be my next question. I have a AGV Dragon helmet and an Olympia riding jacket that I bought when I picked up a 150cc scooter (go ahead and laugh... lol) but I would definitely like to get some better gear because I'll be using this bike to commute 65 miles, and sometimes in cold weather. Before I start a noob thread I'm going to do a lot of reading when I have some downtime though.

Thanks again for the input
-P

Well, the asking price on the bike is $4200, so from the sound of it the seller is right on the money. I think I'm going to do it. I'm 27, I've been dying for a motorcycle since age 15. I think I've waited long enough.

And regarding AGATT- That will be my next question. I have a AGV Dragon helmet and an Olympia riding jacket that I bought when I picked up a 150cc scooter (go ahead and laugh... lol) but I would definitely like to get some better gear because I'll be using this bike to commute 65 miles, and sometimes in cold weather. Before I start a noob thread I'm going to do a lot of reading when I have some downtime though.

-P

I'm not going to laugh cuz I would still like to have a 150cc scooter to kick around on! :D

I just picked up an 07 with 2500 miles on it, showroom condition, Corbin seat, bar risers, and a Throttlemeister cruise control for $4500. I little steeper than I wanted to spend, but I am hoping to spin off some of the aftermarket items. I think $4200 for an 08 in that good of condition is a good find.

Have you taken an MSF course? That should be first and foremost on your to do list. Then good some good gear and go out and get acquainted with your bike. Don't fall into the trap of riding with your buddies and feeling forced into riding beyond your skills and comfort zone. Also, get some frame sliders and then head over to a large parking lot and practice stopping...again and again and again and again....

Congrats on the new bike - it looks great! As others have said take a MSF or equivalent course. In Birmingham there is a school called RIDE which I took and was very good. I spend a lot of time at the track and have seen many riders part ways with their bikes. Always something to watch the inexperienced riders crash at slower speeds - usually due to big rider error.

I am in a very similar climate to you and ride to work almost every day - have caged it two days since August. For winter wear a Joe Rocket textile jacket (with liner), First gear pants with the liner, Komodo boots, a balaclava, Shark RSI helmet with foggy breath mask, Joe Rocket winter gloves and glove liners. My commute is only 10 miles and I ride down to the mid 20's. Have an AGV helmet which is great in the summer because it flows a lot of air, not good for winter. My 1st choice would be a Shoei RF1100.

As others have said respect the power of the FZ above 8,000. It will get to 100 quite quickly, will pull a wheelie in 1st from rolling on the throttle. I started with a Ninja 250 for a year and it took me a couple of years to get really comfortable with th e power of the FZ6.

-P

Sounds like a great price to me. I paid $4200 OTD for my 07 with 7k miles. You will love it! They are great bikes. I had an 06 FZ6 years ago and had to sell it. Missed it a lot and when I decided to get a bike again I kept going back to looking for a FZ6.

Paid $5500.00 last month for stock 09 with 1500 miles, still under warranty til April 2012. Dealers here still have new 09's for $7200.00. Follow all previous advice from others about rider course. Took mine after riding for some time and was surprised to learn how much I didn't know ! Be safe.

-P

Lessee, mine was an 08 with 6400 miles on it. Price was $3900. It already had Givi hard bags, Hyperpro rear spring and Leo Vince exhaust installed. Out the door was $4321 (that was in Sept 2011).

As for gear, those Olympia jackets are really nice. I'd like to get a touring jacket myself. As long as you WEAR the gear instead of just hang it on a hook in the garage because you think you don't look cool with it, you're good in my book. It's the Harley/cruiser crowd that seems to think gear is only for show and the less the better. Not all of them, mind you, but just go to a rally that's heavily cruiser oriented and you'll see squids galore. My body is covered. I know who wins when skin meets asphalt, metal and other objects/surfaces.

You'll do very well with that bike. Stick to this forum and you'll learn a lot of what you can do, how to mod and just general B.S. that is so rampant here (just kidding!). This is one of the better forums you'll find anywhere. And welcome!

I got mine in September of this year, 08 with 2700 miles paid 4300 dollars. I feel I got a really good deal as the bike was nearly stock. Has after market soft saddle bags and an MRA touring screen. At first I thought I would want a bigger bike shortly after but I love this one and I honestly don't think I would ride anything else even if it was given to me.

Edit, oh yeah mine also has a Yamaha extended warranty until 2015

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm an EMT and I have seen bike wrecks- no one needs to tell me twice to wear protective gear. My main questions will be pertaining to brand/functionality/ and where to buy.

I wear 5.11 tactical boots to work so thats covered. I have my Olympia touring jacket with liner and a balaclava. I still need some super warm riding pants that can over my uniform and a good set of gloves. I'm still searching winter helmets. I'm a big fan of the fighter pilot style helmets, but man-oh-man are they expensive.

That looks like a good deal. Fwiw I bought my 09 with just under 3000 miles for $4600. I think I got a really good deal and would gladly have paid more. I'd say jump on it. Welcome to the forum!

Off topic: Where are you an EMT at? I'm a medic and there's a few of us here I've found.

Back