New member welcome thread..

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
My name is Matt, I'm mainly just lurking around. I've been drooling over the FZ6 for years, finally bought a black 08 last week. It's my first bike, and I'm looking to keep it for at least 5 or so years, then on to the new model of the year!

Bamblys

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone
Just bought 08 raven black 4 days ago. Just by reading some post i think i grossly overpayd. (8150 otd). But i love it. Don't have much experience riding a bike. Some might say none, but i'm learning. Waiting for summer to finaly arrive to chicago.

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone!
New member here, I have been reading the forums for about a month now and decided to join. I find these forums very helpful and everyone here is very nice. I started riding very young, off and on since age 13, I am 35 now :D. 7 years ago I bought me a new 250 ninja to get my endorsement, after about 2 years of riding the little ninja, I decided to go the cruiser route and bought me a 2004 Honda shadow aero 750. It was a brand new model then, it was a really nice bike, and I loved riding it.

Due to my long commute to work, well at least that was the excuse :eek: I decided to get a lighter, powerful, commuter friendly bike. I was contemplating the FZ1, the new Suzuki GSX650F and the FZ6. Well, I was checking out eBay about 2 months ago and I came across a local Yamaha dealer in Hollywood, it was a brand new 06 with 0 miles, never been prepped, it had just been taken out of the crate and put together about 2 months before the dealer posted it on eBay. The starting bid was $4899, I waited until the last minute and since no one bid, I bid one dollar more and won the auction! Of course prior to bidding I went to check the bike out and it was beautiful. I have only put about 200 miles on the bike so far, and still going. I love it; it’s what I was looking for.

Looking forward to making new friends here and reading more interesting subjects in this awesome forum. I will post pictures of my bike soon, and of course start modding it to. Till next time....:Sport:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone!
New member here, I have been reading the forums for about a month now and decided to join. I find these forums very helpful and everyone here is very nice. I started riding very young, off and on since age 13, I am 35 now :D. 7 years ago I bought me a new 250 ninja to get my endorsement, after about 2 years of riding the little ninja, I decided to go the cruiser route and bought me a 2004 Honda shadow aero 750. It was a brand new model then, it was a really nice bike, and I loved riding it.

Due to my long commute to work, well at least that was the excuse :eek: I decided to get a lighter, powerful, commuter friendly bike. I was contemplating the FZ1, the new Suzuki GSX650F and the FZ6. Well, I was checking out eBay about 2 months ago and I came across a local Yamaha dealer in Hollywood, it was a brand new 06 with 0 miles, never been prepped, it had just been taken out of the crate and put together about 2 months before the dealer posted it on eBay. The starting bid was $4899, I waited until the last minute and since no one bid, I bid one dollar more and won the auction! Of course prior to bidding I went to check the bike out and it was beautiful. I have only put about 200 miles on the bike so far, and still going. I love it; it’s what I was looking for.

Looking forward to making new friends here and reading more interesting subjects in this awesome forum. I will post pictures of my bike soon, and of course start modding it to. Till next time....:Sport:
Welcome to the site,
Post up some pics of you and the bike.

Nelly

Last edited:

sherman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

My name is Sherman and I am actually doing research and looking into purchasing an FZ6 (2008). I face many challenges in doing so however. Impeding my progress are things such as what my family thinks (a big one) in conjunction with a VERY near Spring sale closing deadline date (tomorrow - yikes).

Incidentally, I am a new rider. I successfully obtained my riding license from an incredibly fun riding course/certification last year and would like to actually ride with my buddies this summer.

I am having trouble swallowing what some people are telling me about buying my first bike.

Groups such as:

- A Kawasaki sales guy guy told me that starting off with a 4-stroke is suicide, so I shouldn't even think about the FZ6.
- My riding school tells me to get a Honda CBR125, but when anyone/others hear of that (salesmen, friends, other riders) they say that it's unreasonably small and quickly becomes boring and uninspired for even a starter bike.
- The occasional idiot sales guy wanting to sell me a Hayabusa
- And today, a biased sales guy who tells me I should go Suzuki or Kawasaki simply because they would be better.

Despite all this, I still have my family to answer to. Being the only son, I can understand their concerns. Of course, I could always go screw-em, and just do my thing, but then I'll be living with a stigma. So in regards to this, I am also wondering how others here have overcome that obstacle.

...now back to reading the forums :)
~Sherman

ENSU3

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings All,

My name is Kyle from Overland Park, KS. I currently ride a candy red 07 fz6 and love it. 20yr old college kid just enjoying life. I've ridden several dirtbikes growing up but this is my first motorcycle!

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't advise dealing w/the family like that cause I got a scooter when I was 14 (Dad bought - a loooong time ago), so I never had that problem.
Having said that I would reccomend you try a friends smaller bike out before you went out to get an FZ6 - this is not (IMHO) a beginners bike!! A twist of this throttle will get you there veeery fast - & you better be prepared!
Don't worry about any sale - they'll have another one & besides there's plenty of used ones for sale. I got my '04 on E-Bay for only $3150 w/4108 miles & an w/only an extremely small scratch on the tank. I did have to drive to Denver to pick it up (12 hrs. 1 way), but it was a nice trip for the wife & I to go on.
Be safe,
Bill

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

My name is Sherman and I am actually doing research and looking into purchasing an FZ6 (2008). I face many challenges in doing so however. Impeding my progress are things such as what my family thinks (a big one) in conjunction with a VERY near Spring sale closing deadline date (tomorrow - yikes).

Incidentally, I am a new rider. I successfully obtained my riding license from an incredibly fun riding course/certification last year and would like to actually ride with my buddies this summer.

I am having trouble swallowing what some people are telling me about buying my first bike.

Groups such as:

- A Kawasaki sales guy guy told me that starting off with a 4-stroke is suicide, so I shouldn't even think about the FZ6.
- My riding school tells me to get a Honda CBR125, but when anyone/others hear of that (salesmen, friends, other riders) they say that it's unreasonably small and quickly becomes boring and uninspired for even a starter bike.
- And today, a biased sales guy who tells me I should go Suzuki or Kawasaki simply because they would be better.

Despite all this, I still have my family to answer to. Being the only son, I can understand their concerns. Of course, I could always go screw-em, and just do my thing, but then I'll be living with a stigma. So in regards to this, I am also wondering how others here have overcome that obstacle.

~Sherman
Hello Mate,

There are many on the site that will tell you the FZ6 is not a first bike.
You live in a democracy make your own choice. You canprove to your family that you decision is wise by being safe and staying alive.

None the less, welcome and what ever you buy. It will have two wheels and be a blast.
You can work your way up to the FZ6 and still be welcome on this forum.
Good luck

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings All,

My name is Kyle from Overland Park, KS. I currently ride a candy red 07 fz6 and love it. 20yr old college kid just enjoying life. I've ridden several dirtbikes growing up but this is my first motorcycle!
Welcome Mate,

Good luck with the studies, post lots.

Nelly

rrandall

BugMan
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I live in Dandridge TN. I have a 2006 FZ6 and it is red but I don't know if it is slow or not, I know I am :) I've been riding since the sixties so lots of different bikes. I am now 68 so I know the bike is fast enough to scare me and that's all I need to know.

I really am the BugMan, that's what my wife's family called me at first. I was in graduate school studying insect and animal physiology at the time. Bought my bike because it handles so well and I figure it will let me keep riding longer than many others I've had. I love it, it's great.

Taught anatomy & physiology until............darn, what is it that they say is the first thing to go. I think it was either the students or the faculty that got the best of me. I really don't think it was the students, they keep you alive, like motorcycles and friends who ride them.

Bob

PS - the avatar is one of my drawings.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I live in Dandridge TN. I have a 2006 FZ6 and it is red but I don't know if it is slow or not, I know I am :) I've been riding since the sixties so lots of different bikes. I am now 68 so I know the bike is fast enough to scare me and that's all I need to know.

I really am the BugMan, that's what my wife's family called me at first. I was in graduate school studying insect and animal physiology at the time. Bought my bike because it handles so well and I figure it will let me keep riding longer than many others I've had. I love it, it's great.

Taught anatomy & physiology until............darn, what is it that they say is the first thing to go. I think it was either the students or the faculty that got the best of me. I really don't think it was the students, they keep you alive, like motorcycles and friends who ride them.

Bob

PS - the avatar is one of my drawings.

Welcome Bob! Assuming your last name is in fact Randall, are you related to any New England Randall's? I am also a Randall. :D

We'll be coming to TN next year to spend a week in Ooltewah with a friend who will take us out on tour on the bikes and over to the Dragon for a mid-week run! Can't wait!

sherman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Mate,

There are many on the site that will tell you the FZ6 is not a first bike.
You live in a democracy make your own choice. You canprove to your family that you decision is wise by being safe and staying alive.

None the less, welcome and what ever you buy. It will have two wheels and be a blast.
You can work your way up to the FZ6 and still be welcome on this forum.
Good luck

Nelly

Thanks for responding. Any good insight is valuable. When I started looking at Yamahas, I was deciding between the FZ6 and the YZF600R. On the Canada site, it did state that the YZF600R was not recommended for novice/inexperienced riders but it did not state this for the FZ6. But overall, your response saddens me as the FZ6 was what I got very warmed up to. Oh well.

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

Groups such as:

~Sherman

Hello Sherman,
I would really recommend a Kawasaki Ninja 250, they are very fun to ride, have plenty of power, yet they are friendly enough for the beginner. I had one a few years ago and it took my a while before I decided to move on to a bigger bike. Good luck in your search:thumbup:

sherman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Sherman,
I would really recommend a Kawasaki Ninja 250, they are very fun to ride, have plenty of power, yet they are friendly enough for the beginner. I had one a few years ago and it took my a while before I decided to move on to a bigger bike. Good luck in your search:thumbup:

Kawasaki is flat out of stock for those. Canada will be getting no more from what everyone says. Tis twice I have been saddened haha

HowlFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello FZ6 Forum!

My name is Scott. I'm new to motorcycling, posting on forums, and of course, the FZ-6.

I grew up with a dad who works in the auto industry and, like him, I have always had a passion for cars. I've always thought motorcycles had their purpose, but they didn't get me excited. Well, last fall one of my co-workers pulled up on a CBR600 and a week later we hired a guy with a CBR1100XX Blackbird. The seed was planted.

It wasn't long before I was spending hours researching bikes, watching the classifieds, reading motorcycle magazines, watching motorcycle videos, going to cycle shows, visiting dealerships, watching the classifieds, and on and on and on....

One bike caught my eye from the start. It was the FZ-6. To me, it was the perfect balance of sport, power, comfort, and value.

I decided over the winter that I wanted to take the MSF Safety Course and get my cycle endorsement. I signed up for the first class of the season because I didn't want to wait. The class was scheduled for the first weekend in March. The temperature here in Michigan didn't get above 34F the whole week. It didn't matter, though. I was fired up and that alone was enough to keep me warm throughout the test. So I passed. Now all I needed was a bike.

Finding a bike wasn't so easy. As a new rider, financing a new bike just seemed irresponsible. The classifieds had gone wild. Bikes were being sold hours after ads were posted. Sellers were asking ridiculous prices (and getting what they were asking). I was pretty discouraged.

Then one day another co-worker says, "Let's roll over to the dealer at lunch. Just to look." Well, hidden in the back was a 2005 FZ-6 in Silver. The price was right and 24 Hours later I rode it home.

I've got about 900 miles on the bike now. What a great bike. It's everything I wanted. It's the perfect commuter and it's got just enough power to scare the poop out of me when I'm feeling frisky. Awesome.

Anyway, that's my story. Thanks for reading.
Cheers!

Scott