New to bikes and the FZ6

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
First post, hello everyone! I purchased an 06 FZ6 2 weeks ago as my first bike, I haven't been able to register yet as I'm waiting for a replacement title to come in (2-3 more weeks)- but I'm trying to get some things done to it before I'm ready to ride.

Pics:

I've searched through a few forums and still can't find anything that resembles the bars I have, can anyone fill me in? Riding position doesn't seem uncomfortable (haven't been on it long enough to judge)- but the bars hit the tank during basic parking maneuvering which is a little annoying. I may have to give FZ1 bars a shot, or find someone with an FZ1 to see how they feel first.

Apart from that I'll keep searching ebay until a center stand with hardware/ spring shows up, I'd definitely like one for chain maintenance and general parking.

Great bike so far, transmission is much smoother than expected considering all the reviews saying how clunky it is. (By the way, do these have the 2nd gear issues like the YZF600Rs? My buddy who owns one says the trans is practically the same and they make a detent arm kit to remedy this issue). I was also weary of the clutch as that was another complaint, but its no big deal. Can't wait to start riding!

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: and Motorcyclist Magazine just mentioned the fz6 as a smarty buy for the money. Be sure to get frame sliders being this is your first bike YOU WILL drop it at some point.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look like some type of clubman style bars. If they are hitting the tank, I would change them out. I have the fz1 bars and like them, some like the stock bars or fz6r bars.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome :D

If you look closely you'll see that its got frame sliders ;), bike is ready to ride! I actually had a noob moment moving it around today, lesson learned is to always straddle the bike when moving it. (I didn't drop it! lol. By noob moment I mean it started tipping in my direction a little hard, whew). The bikes from the MSF were much lighter and less top heavy for sure.

Clubman.. Those look about right. So from what I've read, my options for a lower bar without being overkill are the FZ1 bars or Suburban Machinery right? I'm also not big on the bar end mirrors, they seem kind of useless.

I'm going to look into a tank protector kit or other film, but I've been seeing some hit or miss experiences here.

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!!

That's one bizarre looking FZ!

That's the truth. Bars are definitely clubman style. I would try an FZ1 bar. You'll like it better. I do like the headlights though. Do you know what they're from? The don't look like dominators. Maybe from a buell or a triumph?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats and :welcome: Looks like the previous owner finally upgraded to a Street Triple.

I actually had a noob moment moving it around today, lesson learned is to always straddle the bike when moving it.

Straddling is safer and a great choice for now. Watch how others shift their bikes around although having a bit of muscle is very helpful.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Straddling is safer and a great choice for now. Watch how others shift their bikes around although having a bit of muscle is very helpful.

Really? I actually find it more dangerous!
If you are on the bike and you miss a step or lose balance, you are gone...

During my license training i was taught to use both hands on the bars when going forward, and one hand on the grip, one hand flat on the seat when going backwards, while trying to keep the bikes weight toward you so you can balance it on your thigh if need be.

I have been doing it that way ever since and never had a problem, and getting my bike in and out of it's garage is a mission!

If i can add one thing, your lock on the rear wheel is an absolute waist of time! Anyone with half decent bolt cutter will go straight through that... If you can, chain the bike to something sturdy, use a brake disk lock, alarmed if possible (Xena does some great ones).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Besides the bars hitting the tank, I suspect you won't last long riding in a "push up" position for very long, so +1 on different bars...

Haven't heard of the detent kit, if you can post a link from your buddy would be cool... Doesn't bother me at all but if there is something to make 1-2 smoother, why not...

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

During my license training i was taught to use both hands on the bars when going forward, and one hand on the grip, one hand flat on the seat when going backwards, while trying to keep the bikes weight toward you so you can balance it on your thigh if need be.

I have been doing it that way ever since and never had a problem, and getting my bike in and out of it's garage is a mission!
Great description of how to do it right. I'd argue a new rider isn't likely to have the confidence to shift their bike around like that, especially an FZ6 w/ a full tank of gas.

With long enough legs, duck walking is good for now IMO. Great that the sliders are in place already- hopefully they won't be tested.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For moving about the garage/(parking lot), I personally keep the side stand down and stand on the RIGHT side of the bike and do my maneuvering from there.

Un-less you knock your kick stand up by accident, it'll keep the bike up on the left side, I'm responsible for the right.

When mounting and dismounting, again, put it on the side stand, on and off from the left.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the truth. Bars are definitely clubman style. I would try an FZ1 bar. You'll like it better. I do like the headlights though. Do you know what they're from? The don't look like dominators. Maybe from a buell or a triumph?

I'm looking at the receipts I got with the bike, and the conversion kit is from a company called Aztec 8. Description: 5 3/4" black dual headlight/ windscreen kit. Its part of what sold me on the bike, I love the Euro naked version that much more and naked bikes in general.

Previous owner actually had the bike for a couple months, wife didn't approve ;). Owner before that got deployed to Afghanistan.

As far as the detent arm kit:

</title> <title>FactoryPro Shift Kits, detent arm

I don't see the FZ6 listed on the list of bikes they make parts for?

Thanks again for the welcome gents.

Oh and regarding the crap bike lock I have on it now- I know. For now it'll be fine until I get it registered, then I'll just get comprehensive insurance. No amount of chains or locks will keep it from getting stolen on the streets if someone really wants it.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'10", 32" inseam and found the stock bars turned my wrists outward cutting off circulation. Running the FZ1 bars now, much better on the wrists, turn in and weight distribution is improved too. An inexpensive win in my book.

As for moving the bike, both hands on the bar grips, stand to the side and let it lean on you (tighter the corner, more weight you bear). Being right handed I stay on the left. When turning to the right take on more lean angle so if you hit a bump it doesn't dump to the right side.

Golden rule is don't let it go over center....

PS - you would need to grab some stock bar ends and they'll fit the FZ1 bars. A thread on the topic: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/42444-renthal-755-bars-vs-fz1-bars-take-look.html

This shows the basic height:
IMG_20130416_190715_219WEB_zps97285c61.jpg

Angle....
IMG_20130420_165225_838WEB_zps6402f25a.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

If i can add one thing, your lock on the rear wheel is an absolute waist of time! Anyone with half decent bolt cutter will go straight through that... If you can, chain the bike to something sturdy, use a brake disk lock, alarmed if possible (Xena does some great ones).

In our Rider's Safety Training Course they teach here they always tell you to straddle the bike when moving it around. If you don't straddle and you are not experienced with bikes it's very easy to get the weight away from you and down goes your nice shiny bike. I've never dropped a bike while straddling it and I'm not a big guy.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
In our Rider's Safety Training Course they teach here they always tell you to straddle the bike when moving it around. If you don't straddle and you are not experienced with bikes it's very easy to get the weight away from you and down goes your nice shiny bike. I've never dropped a bike while straddling it and I'm not a big guy.

Need to maneuver in a tight parking area/turn your bike around in a driveway and don't want to do the Austin Powers 3(0) point turn? Oh, and do you trust your sidestand? Learn how to spin the bike on the sidestand!

Stand on the left side of your bike, **** (turns out you have to say turn, not rooster) the steering to the right, left hand on the throttle grip, right hand on the right side of the subframe. Lift up with your right hand, putting the bike on the sidestand and front wheel, then rock the bike back and towards you so that you're only balancing on the sidestand. Spin counterclockwise and then set the rear - then front, down - you just saved yourself 30 seconds and many opportunities to drop your bike! :thumbup:

Last edited: