New to touring

Clintpatt

Clintpatt
Reaction score
Visit site
New rider

I am currently just getting into touring and will be doing alot of 3 hour trips for weekends. The catch is i need to have a setup where my girlfriend can still sit on the back yet there is enough room in the bags to put both of our clothing and items for the weekend. I am interested in doing soft bags i dont have much interest in the hard cases. What do you guys think will work best?

I am currently just getting into touring and will be doing alot of 3 hour trips for weekends. The catch is i need to have a setup where my girlfriend can still sit on the back yet there is enough room in the bags to put both of our clothing and items for the weekend. I am interested in doing soft bags i dont have much interest in the hard cases. What do you guys think will work best?

Re: New rider

Depending on how much stuff you need to carry, how about a tank bag for your stuff and a rucksack for hers. That way she'll have to carry her gear around :D

Re: New rider

The key is packing light. Take only what you absolutely need and wear stuff twice. Motorcycling sounds glamorous but it's not.

Having said that there are plenty of good soft luggage options. I've used Ventura rack and bag systems for two up. One 51 litre pack would do us for a four day trip.

We don't ride 2 up any more though. To be honest neither of us particularly enjoyed it that much. Much more comfortable traveling together in a car and a lot more freedom to stop and explore places.

Good luck

3 hours?? that's not much of a trip... j/k. how much stuff are you planing on bringing? you way want to consider a hard top case, and then soft side bags. i have done the whole "use a back pack" for a 4 hour trip, and at about the 1/2 hour mark it was really old. you just don't want to get there and have a very angry girl.

i think if we knew better about the amount of things you are taking, it might be a little easier to make recommendations..

We need to be able to carry things such as 3 changes of clothes each, two laptops since we are college students, and toiletries. but once again we need to have room for my girlfriend to be comfortable on a 3 hour trip.

3 hours?? that's not much of a trip.....

Too funny.

I agree with LERecords about the top case. And based on the stuff you listed, you'll need more room than just some soft bags can provide. Get yourself a top case to go with your soft bags, your only real option. You can even get one with a backrest for your GF. The large size top cases can hold all of your clothes and you can put the laptops in the soft bags with room for other items.

wow.. with that much stuff, yea i would recommend a top case and some large soft bags... since your not really touring, i get the 2 laptops. i would put those in the top case and not side cases.

now when you say 3 changes, are you talking full on summer cloths? shorts and tshirt?? underwear? room for bike gear? i will assume all of the above....

well when i took my first trip, i laid out everything i wanted to bring. then went through and brought everything i "needed" to bring. only got rid of a few things, but every pound counts. if you can figure out how much you really will be hauling, it will make pickin gear easier. im guessing something along the lines of a 46-52l top case and then somewhere between a 20-35l side cases.. :thumbup:

This is the setup on my Bandit. Givi wing rack 2 and mono lock hard bags and rack. Makes a great back rest for the wife and holds a metric butt load of junk. Very easy to use and extremely fast on and off. HIghly recommend. Luckily they came on my bike when I bought it. Fairly spendy setup.

GIVI N140 - Fitment kits

Not sure if they make this for the FZ

Optionals-N140.jpg

c36020130303094533.jpg

c36020130303094435.jpg

Edit... Missed the NO hard bags part...

Last edited:
wow.. thats a cool concept piece.. the whole top rack and side rack as one piece.. cool!!

i dunno if i recommend using the top case as a back rest.. I stand by my givi and know lots of others that do as well.. but i tell my girl not to use it as a back rest.. i have lost a top case once and since then i would rather not put added pressure.. im sure its fine, but still...

but lets post some pictures.. here is the soft luggage setup i had.. i didnt have her on the back of the bike with the tail bag, but its possible to do it..

IMG_0797.jpg

but compare how much more space you gain with a top case

IMG_0848.jpg

much more space with much more passenger space.. hopefully someone will get on here some decent side case ideas cuz i got nothing...

Last edited:
+1 on topcase - I have Givi monokey V46 and it's can fit A LOT. Additional benefit is that you can get a backrest for your girl - it's an optional accessory on those top cases - that way she can straighten up and not lean forward all the time.

Was able to get a weeks worth of clothes in my Nelson Riggs SLR-30 soft bags, and toiletries and even electronics (and a laptop) in the other bag... Add a top case and your set for touring on a budget ;)

SW-Motech Blaze saddlebags. best investment to date for the FZ. the bags are out of the way for a passenger and supported by arms so they dont blow around. the best system for 2-up would be hard bags because believe me, bag straps are not comfortable. but 3-5 hours should be fine as long as you stop every once in a while (besides just gas) the passenger is never as comfy as the pilot. My longest pillion ride was 8 hours one way, and i did it sitting on bag straps i felt like this :spank:

im not sure.. i never rode with them in the rain.. thee tail bag got a little wet and it seemed to be fine.. i havent had those bags in a few years.. sold them for some hard cases

im not sure.. i never rode with them in the rain.. thee tail bag got a little wet and it seemed to be fine.. i havent had those bags in a few years.. sold them for some hard cases

I have a chance to purchase a use set for $125 bucks and wondering if the Yamaha side bags are something special.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Back