Noisy engine - FZ6 S Fazer 06 - 12K km

P

Perfj

One of the reasons for buying a FZ6 was the sound of the engine. I like the very quiet sound.
However, that impression is disturbed by the very noisy sound from the right side of the engine when I am riding at about 60km/hour and upwards. When I ride and pull the clutch, or turn back the throttle, it is very noisy. Sounds like a singing truck wheel.
The chain and the sprockets have been checked, and I have put on a new front tire recently. But it is still the same.
Is this kind of noise normal for a FZ6, or do you believe it could be fixed.
Could also be interesting to compare with another FZ6, but I do not believe that there is one more member in Sjælland ??
:confused:

Are you hearing the fuel injection pump, by chance? When you first turn the key on, before you start the bike, you will hear the pump pressurize the rail.... that's a 'singing' sort of noise.

One of the reasons for buying a FZ6 was the sound of the engine. I like the very quiet sound.
However, that impression is disturbed by the very noisy sound from the right side of the engine when I am riding at about 60km/hour and upwards. When I ride and pull the clutch, or turn back the throttle, it is very noisy. Sounds like a singing truck wheel.
The chain and the sprockets have been checked, and I have put on a new front tire recently. But it is still the same.
Is this kind of noise normal for a FZ6, or do you believe it could be fixed.
Could also be interesting to compare with another FZ6, but I do not believe that there is one more member in Sjælland ??
:confused:

I get a whine but it sounds as it always has for me. To tell the truth I've changed the type/brand of oil I was using and it may be a little quieter. I would have to take it for a ride and pay attention to give an answer.

Does the sound seem to change with wheel speed or does it change with engine RPM?

Are you sure your chain is not too tight. 1.77 inch- 2.17 inch slack. Did you put a Pilot Road 2 on the front. It is a noisy tire at that speed.

Thanks for your commends. Good suggestions for further investigations.

When I turn on ignition, I hear a sound, but I do not think it is the same sound I hear during riding.
The noise is depending on wheel rotation. But the strange thing is, that if you put the bike on the center stand, you will not have any noise.
So undepending on the RPM.

The chain and the sprockets seam to be ok - but I am far from being an expert.
I will check the slack - good point.

How about ball bearings in the front wheel. Could that be the problem.

Thanks for your commends. Good suggestions for further investigations.

When I turn on ignition, I hear a sound, but I do not think it is the same sound I hear during riding.
The noise is depending on wheel rotation. But the strange thing is, that if you put the bike on the center stand, you will not have any noise.
So undepending on the RPM.

The chain and the sprockets seam to be ok - but I am far from being an expert.
I will check the slack - good point.

The part I have added the bold to; that would make me think the front wheel is involved....

Have a friend weight the back of the bike, so the front wheel is elevated from the ground. Spin the wheel and listen for any scraping, or crunching noises. You could have a dragging brake pad, or a bearing issue..... or the tire design could be noisey as someone has suggested.

The sealed wheel bearings are undoubtedly fine. But the collars and axle may need regreasing. What year is your bike?
This is sort of subjective, but with your front wheel elevated, when you spin it, the wheel should make a few rotations.
Also, as the wheel spins, it should be rotating "smoothly" and not "roughly." Again, subjective.

Spin the wheel and listen for any scraping, or crunching noises. You could have a dragging brake pad, or a bearing issue..... or the tire design could be noisey as someone has suggested.

Also check your brake rotors for any abnormal wear patterns that may indicate a dragging brake pad.

Last edited:
Perfj:
If you drive and hear the noise and you pull the clutch... does the noise stay or not? I would say, this could be a tire issue, too.

BR Robert

What oil are you using, or are you relying on someone to change it for you?
Have you checked the oil level?
How often do you change the oil?

Is your coolant level right, and might it be the fan? Something might be stuck in the fan and your hearing the fan motor burn itself out when it comes on (Unlikely from your description but just check the fan will turn properly)

Sounds like a tyre issue as other people have said, but maybe take it to a local mechanic and get them to take it around the block.

I had a similar issue with my 06 FZ6. Mine had done only 5000 kms and it became evident after I advised the service guys to check the chain slack during my second service. I am sure that the guy didnt do the job properly and the chain / wheel was not aligned properly after the adjustment. I surfed many sites and came to a conclusion myself on thie mis-alignment factor. I even changed the rear bearings (as advised by the service guys) but the sound still persists. It becomes evident a certain speeds (3 digits) and while hard acceleration. I am planning to take it to another mechanic who has much more knowledge than those service center guys. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Well, based on all good suggestions, I first elevated the front wheel. I could feel some resistance. Was not turning completely free. So I uninstalled both front brakes. Then the wheel was turning perfectly. So the ball bearings seams to be ok. Before installing the brakes, I put on a little grease around the calibers and pressed them back. Assembled it felt like the resistance were reduced.
I believe that the front end of the bike is ok now.
However, when finished, it was raining, so the test drive will not be today.

If this doesn´t help, I think I will have to ask the Yamaha Denmark for help.

I just hope you made sure none of that grease will end up on the brake pads or the disc or you could really be in trouble.
If there was a problem with the brakes it seems likely that there is something wrong with the cable, lever or fluid.
How long has the fluid been in there, has it been changed recently, what level is it at?
Might be an idea to bleed the brakes and add new stuff, it can absorb water over time.

Well, based on all good suggestions, I first elevated the front wheel. I could feel some resistance. Was not turning completely free. So I uninstalled both front brakes. Then the wheel was turning perfectly. So the ball bearings seams to be ok. Before installing the brakes, I put on a little grease around the calibers and pressed them back. Assembled it felt like the resistance were reduced.
I believe that the front end of the bike is ok now.
However, when finished, it was raining, so the test drive will not be today.

If this doesn´t help, I think I will have to ask the Yamaha Denmark for help.

If you can get a half of a rotation with the ft assembled, after the brakes are seated your probably ok.

Another way is to go for a ride, use the rear brake only, stop and feel the front rotors. If their hot, the caliber pistons are not retracting as they should or something is hanging up. I wouldn't think that would make your noise, but its easy enough to check...

I would personally remove the front wheel and rotate each bearing by hand paying attention to any binding/smoothness, etc.. With the weight of the wheel alone, it'll still usually spin easily with a bad bearing...

Scott

Last edited:
Back