noob buying an 07...

floored

Reaction score
Visit site
1st of all I apologize for this if Im in the wrong forum. There are quite a few subforums.

Anyway ive found an 07 fz6 with 1100 miles on it for $5,500 from a local dealer. Im in iraq right now but im thinking about having someone go pick up hte bike for me. It will be my 1st bike, but ive ridden before. Ive found lots of positive comments abut the bike in general and was wondering if anyone had any negatives?

thanks
Jay

H

HavBlue

Welcome and yes, I have a negative, there aren't enough hours in the day to ride it. Beyond that the FZ6 is a real gem....

Charlie

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
1st of all I apologize for this if Im in the wrong forum. There are quite a few subforums.

Anyway ive found an 07 fz6 with 1100 miles on it for $5,500 from a local dealer. Im in iraq right now but im thinking about having someone go pick up hte bike for me. It will be my 1st bike, but ive ridden before. Ive found lots of positive comments abut the bike in general and was wondering if anyone had any negatives?

thanks
Jay

Welcome to the Forum Jay! There have been quite a few posts dealing with the pros and cons of this motorcycle. Here are a few things to check out:

This is a post specifically for potential riders. GREAT info included.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html

Personal commentary on our opinions
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/4161-do-you-regret-your-purchase.html

Alleged engine buzzing
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/1360-fz6-engine-buzzy.html

Why the FZ6 is the best
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/3712-what-makes-fz6-better-than-rest.html

Another safety post. Important info
http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/4470-must-read-can-save-your-life.html

For all intensive purposes, the FZ6 may seem like a great starter bike, but it is a ride that packs a lot of power. The engine is no joke. I'm 6'4" and I weigh about 235 lbs...my Fizzer will get up and throw my tubby self around like nothing.

I will admit, this is my first motorcycle, but not the only one I've ridden. It's a night and day difference compared to even something that has a 500 cc engine. You really have to take it easy at first. Also ATTEND SOME COURSES. I know being in the military, before you can even ride on post, you have to take either the Basic Rider's Course (if you don't have your motorcycle endorsement/license) or the Experienced Rider's Course (if you've already gotten said endorsements).

I would also suggest taking a course from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. The more pointers and practice in a controlled environment you can get, the better.

Some things to think about. I would never try to steer anyone away from buying a Fizzer, but I will tell someone this motorcycle is NO joke!

What part of Iraq are you in anyway? I'm hanging out at Liberty in Baghdad most of the time...but not for long! :Flash:

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Being your first bike I would take it easy. Most if not all 600's out there are pretty powerful. You could get in trouble on this bike easier than you know.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6: this is not a bunny bike. "Caveat emptor" because anything that will take you 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds and anything that will obtain 140+ MPH can get you quickly into trouble. But as far as a sound purchase/value, it's solid. Sounds like a good price; how many more months on the factory warranty?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep it below 7000RPM and she is good for touring, above 8000RPM good for playing. Above 11000RPM hold on to your licence.

My only problem is what mod I should do next. New mirrors or belly pan?

Good luck with yours.:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

thanks
Jay
Hello and welcome,
Have you got any specifics you are thinking about? A few of us found the throttle different to start with. I am now well used to mine. When I first started riding it it felt like an on of switch lol.
Ap[art from that unless you really trust the guy going to collect your bike I would try to get a test ride and see for myself. There were two recalls on the 2005 models. other than that pretty bullet proof.

Good luck and get home safe.

Nelly

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com

thanks
Jay

5500.00 seems high considering I just got a new one all in (accept tax) for 5971.00. Any dealers that have a 07 left will be wanting it out the door now.

5901.00 is what the dealer paid for the bike, plus they will get the 3% holdback a year after selling it.

What city are you buying the bike?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be fine with the FZ6 if you can control yourself and make an effort to educate yourself. I still don't think the FZ6 is a good starter bike for many reasons other than power. Get a used SV650 and sell it after a year if you want for the same price you paid.

For all intensive purposes

OT: "For all intents and purposes" - took me 25 years before I realized I was saying it wrong like you....I was really surprised when I found out so I couldn't resist passing it along. Great post, very helpful.

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
OT: "For all intents and purposes" - took me 25 years before I realized I was saying it wrong like you....I was really surprised when I found out so I couldn't resist passing it along. Great post, very helpful.[/QUOTE]

Dang! Good catch on that one! It only took me 27 years! LOL How embarrassing...I'm a journalist too.