Oh deer!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Beautiful morning this morning, I took the motorcycle for a spin up Old Snowbasin Road. Rounded a blind curve and Mama Deer was just running into the ditch, and her yearling fawn was still on the road, I had to slam on the brakes. Glad my adrenalin was up, because I had to brake even harder when this year's fawn stumbled onto the road. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Kept the shiny side up, but it rattled me pretty good and I came back home, will just sit in the A/C for the rest of the day. :rolleyes:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job getting er wooow'd down!

I did the opposite about a month ago. A little fawn jetted from UNDER a guardrail into the road from canyon below, I was waiting for Momma to jump out but the fawn just froze at the center line. Because of the corners and time it took the fawn to clear the guardrail I had plenty of time to come to crawl which I felt could turn out BADLY if momma saw me next to the Kid! :eek:
I passed without incident - If I'd had a helmet cam rolling you'd see binky eyed fawn face off the port at arms reach.

no harm and mom did come but I was past her before she got on the road. :thumbup:

LesL60

Reaction score
Visit site
We ride eyes wide open around here since the deer must be an extra stupid nomadic variety. Glad you executed the technique perfectly and made it home okay.

Couple of questions: How big was the pant-load and did you bury or burn your pants?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Just today was riding down one of my fav twistie roads and though "deer don't come out during the day" but was still careful.

Keeping to the right side of the lane and sure enough ran across something even dumber - a human. Going the other way in a surburban with a trailer. Only a couple of feet over the center line. Often wonder what they do when the run across their twin going the other way. . .

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Best thing is learn from the experience. Think if you could have done anything different then forget about the incident. I just came back on tour and was traveling to Jasper AB on the icefields parkway and was doing around 100kmh when a big black bear ran across the road in front of me. I made the mistake of applying too much rear brake and felt it lock, kept the bike straight and release the rear brake while keeping on the front and missed the bear, he was a fast runner. Lesson learned, FZ6 rear brake is touchy and apply in moderation.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go home and have a Jagie, cos you know what the Jaegermeister logo means....

IMG_0959.jpg

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice report. Yeah, one of the things that probably really concerns me on mountain roads! I know not to immediately celebrate after evading the first deer because deer can run in packs. It's really a lot of extra effort to scan the roadside as well as the oncoming traffic, curves, debris, etc., but it might make a difference. Thanks for the post: it reminds us all to not forget about this hazard.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Just today was riding down one of my fav twistie roads and though "deer don't come out during the day" but was still careful.

Think again, I passed within 5 feet of a large doe deer at 12:30pm with the sun high in the sky and the heat index over 105F! I honestly think the darn thing was suffering heat exhaustion or dehydration and was not mentally together in it's frantic search for water! It looked lost and bewildered.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Good miss!!!

A few months ago a deer literally ran into the side of my buddies vtx at about 60 mph, he managed to keep the bike up riding two up.

Dent in the tank, broken air cleaner cover, a bent highway bar, and a slightly broken leg was the result. He rode the bike home safely and his wife still rides with him:D

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good avoidance maneuver and recovery. Glad you (and the deer) made out ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 INFUSE using Tapatalk 2