Ohline Shock Install

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ohlin Shock Install

Hey Everyone,

I have been waiting to do this mod for a very long time. Thanks to DefyInertia for pointing me to Hardracing.com for the amazing price on the shock.

My bike is an '07 so I ordered the YA723 46HRC for the FZ6 S2 2007. The retail price is $847, Hardracing shipped it to my door for $710.00. Let them know your rider weight, the type of riding you do and what percent of your time is two up. Hardracing will figure out the spring weight for you.

With this shock the compression and rebound damping is adjustable. Out of the box it seems GREAT!

The model I bought mounts the remote where the stock tool kit is stored in the trunk where as the shock that DI bought is mounted on the sub-frame just behind the left passanger foot peg mount. The reason for the change is on the '07's the helmet lock was added and eliminated that location.

The actual installation is very easy.

1) Place bike on centerstand
2) Remove saddle
3) Remove both side covers
4) Remove trunk - this is a b*tch!
5) Cut an opening in the trunk for the remote to pass through to the tool mount location. Note you DO NOT have to cut as much as I have. Mine was cut up for the aborted R1 Shock project.
5) Remove top shock bolt
6) Remove lower shock bolt
7) Reverse steps and regrease the shock mount bolts with a good quality grease.

This took 45 minutes while playing with the dog and drinking a beer. Very easy mod.

The ride quality is AMAZING!!! The shock is much more compliant, less stutter over bumps, and the rear wheel tracks the pavement much better.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great of course. You going to do one track day on that beast just for kicks?

Yup. Probably in July or August. I'll be in Honduras for most of June playing Army, but I really want to get back on the track soon. As you know it gets in your blood. A friend of mine goes about 10 to 12 times a year, she'll kick my ass out there. I'd planned to do some track days this Spring, however that falling in love, wedding thing popped up. Gotta love life!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Ohlin Shock Install

looking good top! seems way easier than i would have imagined..... any parts that you haven't had off of that bike yet?

Really most of the bike is still together from the factory. I haven't touched the airbox, engine, frame, swingarm, fairing, etc.

NLFZ6

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I agree, it looks awesome and have been thinking seriously about doing it myself.

Do you think there is anywhere else you could mount the remote resevoir and as well where have you mounted the PC III box.

Thanks in advance!!

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site

I agree, it looks awesome and have been thinking seriously about doing it myself.

Do you think there is anywhere else you could mount the remote resevoir and as well where have you mounted the PC III box.

Thanks in advance!!

yeah, it would be nice if the reservoir could be seen by the general public, a pay off for the cost, hard work, and discreet good taste you have.

i sent a quote request to the same company, lets see what happens!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey Everyone,

I have been waiting to do this mod for a very long time. Thanks to DefyInertia for pointing me to Hardracing.com for the amazing price on the shock.

My bike is an '07 so I ordered the YA723 46HRC for the FZ6 S2 2007. The retail price is $847, Hardracing shipped it to my door for $710.00. Let them know your rider weight, the type of riding you do and what percent of your time is two up. Hardracing will figure out the spring weight for you.

With this shock the compression and rebound damping is adjustable. Out of the box it seems GREAT!

The model I bought mounts the remote where the stock tool kit is stored in the trunk where as the shock that DI bought is mounted on the sub-frame just behind the left passanger foot peg mount. The reason for the change is on the '07's the helmet lock was added and eliminated that location.

2) Remove saddle
5) Cut an opening in the trunk for the remote to pass through to the tool mount location. Note you DO NOT have to cut as much as I have. Mine was cut up for the aborted R1 Shock project.
5) Remove top shock bolt

This took 45 minutes while playing with the dog and drinking a beer. Very easy mod.

The ride quality is AMAZING!!! The shock is much more compliant, less stutter over bumps, and the rear wheel tracks the pavement much better.
Good job Pete,
Your boss must certainly pay you well those mods are coming in thick and fast lol.

Nelly

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey Everyone,

2) Remove saddle
5) Remove top shock bolt

Thanks for the lead. I'm interested in upgrading my suspension. The Ohlins YA 402 fits the 2006. Are you satisfied with the ride quality? What can I expect for improvements (on road) on rough chatter and bigger bumps on the straights and while cornering? Thanks!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a very nice upgrade. You'll find the ride much more compliant and the whole bike follows the bumps of the road much better. When you order the shock they'll ask for your weight, type of riding (racing, track days, touring, etc.) and set the shock up for you. I bolted mine on and didn't touch a thing. The damping is night and day from the stock shock, compliant but much more controlled.

After the shock is installed you'll hate your forks even more. At that point I had Race Tech springs and 20 wt oil. Much better than stock but not anywhere near emulators or R6 forks.

Once you have the shock and the forks the bike really handles well.