Online vs. in-store purchase

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
After comparing what's out there I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of Michelin PR4 GT's. I ended up getting them online from American Motorcycle Tire - American Motorcycle Tire. I've been calling shops for quotes to have them mounted and I actually had a shop say they wouldn't because I didn't purchase the tires from them. When I asked why, since they sold Michelin tires, they claimed that online distributors get a lower quality tire. I know some companies like Walmart and Sears have a special model that is different when it comes to things like auto tires, but those are also labeled with a (slightly different) model number from the original. Basically I'm just curious if there is any truth in claim to this, in-store tires are superior to online distributors, or are these shops full of it?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never had any issues having a shop conduct the labor for doing the swap and I supplied the parts. I am paying for their labor. I have even ordered the tires and had them shipped to the shop so I didn't have to worry about getting the tires to the shop. I do offer them the opportunity to match the quote in the event they had the same tire.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BS. Same tires.. no lower quality for mail order. If you're concerned, you can reach out to Michelin to confirm.

I would put that shop at the top of places I would never buy from.. ever. Won't mount because you didn't buy from them?? Unbelievable!

See if there's a cyclegear near you. Ususually the best place to get tires mounted, price-wise.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is another rider who is experiencing the same issues, with the same tires, and shop on the PNW Riders forum.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I did look local for the tires before I bought them online. Was even will to pay, a little, more if the (any) shop had them in stock and would put them on soon. Any local shop that had them in-stock either wanted $100 more then I paid (plus the mounting fees) or wouldn't negotiate the mounting fee if I had to wait a few days for them to come in. If they were going to charge me a mounting fee either way I might as well pay less.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
BS. Same tires.. no lower quality for mail order. If you're concerned, you can reach out to Michelin to confirm.

I would put that shop at the top of places I would never buy from.. ever. Won't mount because you didn't buy from them?? Unbelievable!

See if there's a cyclegear near you. Ususually the best place to get tires mounted, price-wise.

Cycle Gear was one of the first places I called. Unfortunately they don't have a lift, to get the tires off. Even if they did, they charge the same as the shop down the street from me does, who does have a lift. Ironically the guy at Cycle Gear recommended that shop to me for work on my bike. LOL!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cycle Gear was one of the first places I called. Unfortunately they don't have a lift, to get the tires off. Even if they did, they charge the same as the shop down the street from me does, who does have a lift. Ironically the guy at Cycle Gear recommended that shop to me for work on my bike. LOL!

Yeah.. I did fail to mention that you must remove the wheels yourself to use cyclegear. They charge from 20 to 30 (depends on location) and if I'm not mistaken, they mount for free if you get tires from them.

If there's a shop near you that'll do it for 30 per wheel including wheel removal and re-install, that's a hell of a deal!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm fortunate up here in NorCal. Within a 15 minute drive toward San Jose I always go to a non-chain, brick and mortar shop that sells a few used bikes, a small selection of helmets and accessories and a ton of tires. Free mounting and balancing with the wheels removed and if you go on a weekday, which I usually do, it's pretty much while you wait. And the price is very close to the online sites and since they sell so many tires the rubber is always fresh. :rockon:
The only time I had to make a return trip is when I had to order semi-street tires for the Mrs.' XT250.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually get tires in-store. Maybe not cheapest cheapest ever but I like to think I'm supporting guys and they are there for me whenever I need them.

Like Lefty I live in south bay area and it seems we have at least two shops which have very decent selection of tires. From Bridgestones through Michelins to even Metzelers.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with DeepBlueRider, I know that we support the same two stores. I like the idea of establishing a relationship with our local small businesses. :thumbup:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The place I had my tires (purchased online) installed charges more if you don't buy the tires from them. I think I paid like $80 to have the pair installed - but, I rode in and had them remove the wheels and deal with the chain, etc.

I agree - they are feeding you a line of sh*t if they told you that tires purchased through retailers online are sub-par compared to those shipped to shops. Guess how the shops order them? Granted probably through a manufacturer or distributor website, but still ...

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
Just arrived. Saved $60 (after installation) by buying online. I would have paid the extra as a "convenience fee" if the store had them in stock, ready to install. But they didn't and weren't willing to negotiate price. They're still getting my business for the install, but not the (high) markup for the tires.

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Just arrived. Saved $60 (after installation) by buying online. I would have paid the extra as a "convenience fee" if the store had them in stock, ready to install. But they didn't and weren't willing to negotiate price. They're still getting my business for the install, but not the (high) markup for the tires.

Any reason you went with the 'GT' version of this tire over the standard? Just curious as I am shopping for tires and very close to pulling the trigger on the PR4's.. I thought the GT were for a lot heavier touring bikes..

Thanks!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After comparing what's out there I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of Michelin PR4 GT's. I ended up getting them online from American Motorcycle Tire - American Motorcycle Tire. I've been calling shops for quotes to have them mounted and I actually had a shop say they wouldn't because I didn't purchase the tires from them. When I asked why, since they sold Michelin tires, they claimed that online distributors get a lower quality tire. I know some companies like Walmart and Sears have a special model that is different when it comes to things like auto tires, but those are also labeled with a (slightly different) model number from the original. Basically I'm just curious if there is any truth in claim to this, in-store tires are superior to online distributors, or are these shops full of it?

I was told the same from a local shop, won't buy tires from them....the nearby Honda shop are rhethards too.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
Any reason you went with the 'GT' version of this tire over the standard? Just curious as I am shopping for tires and very close to pulling the trigger on the PR4's.. I thought the GT were for a lot heavier touring bikes..

Thanks!

I couldn't find a specific weight difference when comparing the two versions. The GT description listed it as being rated for riding 2 up and with bags, things I tend to do often. I figured it would be worth the extra $10 a tire to get the higher rating opposed to wearing out the standard version faster because of the heavier load.