Planning a Trip to the U.K.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys:

Being originally from Europe, but currently residing in the U.S., I would really love to plan for a trip to the U.K. I am looking forward to seeing Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and Britain of course. So I need your advice as to what could make my planning easier. If you are so kindly inclined, please help me on my quest and send me information like:
  • Best time of the year to travel
  • Places to See and Things to Do
  • Recommended means of transportation
  • Anything else I might need to know
I hope a 2 week stay would be just right. I’d like to save money where I can.
Cheers

Last edited:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Time of year - September - good weather but most tourists have gone home. Places to see, personal favourites:

Stonehenge, Wiltshire Stonehenge.co.uk - Your guide to Stonehenge, the World's Favourite Megalithic Stone Circle
Chester, roman city with Amphitheatre Tourism and Leisure
Snowdonia, in Wales but don't let that put you off. Beautiful national park, you can take a train to the top of the highest mountain in Britain Steam Trains - Snowdon Mountain Railway - Welsh Highland Railway - Snowdonia
Silverstone - check for F1 tests Silverstone Official Website

Notice I don't recommend London. F*cking hate the place but the London Eye is good-ish The London Eye - Book online now and save 10%

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys:

Being originally from Europe, but currently residing in the U.S., I would really love to plan for a trip to the U.K. I am looking forward to seeing Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and Britain of course. So I need your advice as to what could make my planning easier. If you are so kindly inclined, please help me on my quest and send me information like:
  • Best time of the year to travel
  • Places to See and Do
  • Recommended means of transportation
  • Anything else I might need to know
I hope a 2 week stay would be just right. I’d like to save money where I can.
Cheers

Haha, not being smart but if you want to get out of ireland alive, dont refer to it as the UK..you'll be kicked severely!! :)

Ok with that warning out of the way!! :)

Best time of year: any time its not raining. Generally July, August, September and maybe June if your lucky.

Places to see and do: (I can only speak for the Republic of ireland, northern ireland and scotland) In the ROI I would certainly go to Kerry, Cork, Galway, Mayo, Donegal (when its dry!!), any costal region reallly!!. Northern ireland...go anywhere, in County Antrim there is the Giants Causway...its a sight to see. In Scotland, certainly go to Edinborough and if you can get to the mountains (scottish highlands) then that would be some trip.

Ok so i'll leave England to the english lads! :)

I believe all forms of transport are good, in the ROI you may be best sticking to the bus routes and train routes...as with all things...taxi's are pretty expensive. In Northern Ireland you can probably rent out a motorbike.

Anything else you may need to know: Bring wetgear and an umbrella!!...water loves our two islands...but more-so England last summer with the severe flooding!! But dont let that put you off...you can always get out of England and go to france via the Channel Tunnel if you get sick of the rain...weather is alot nicer in france during that time of year and they have cracking good roads too! :)

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, not being smart but if you want to get out of ireland alive, dont refer to it as the UK..you'll be kicked severely!! :)
It is funny you say that because, I was actually worried that it was not fair calling it U.K. for plethora of reasons... Anyhow, I am really looking forward to experiencing Ireland and Northern Ireland. Would I be more politically correct to call the area ecompassing Ireland, N. Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales the British Isles? I still find it confilcting to call it British because that kind of reffers to Britain, then Great Britain.

Cheers:D

Last edited:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
The correct usage of "UK" is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The British Isles, otoh, includes the entire island of Ireland. When we gave the Irish 26 counties to play Republics with, that did NOT opt them out of the geographical British Isles.
So there. :rtfm: :p :D
You're going to have a very rushed two weeks if you're planning on seeing all four countries....Make the most of it though, it's a great place to visit.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The best times I've had in Britain were when I got off the beaten path, away from the touristy spots.
Go into a pub that's out of the way, and you'll really learn/feel what the UK is about, and you'll meet so many interesting people and hear great stories. Just drive the roads, you'll meet cool farmers, students, and as I did, stumble upon WWII airshows, medieval jousting demos, falconry demos, all kinds of things!
You have me wanting to go back now in the worst way! :Sport:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The best times I've had in Britain were when I got off the beaten path, away from the touristy spots.
Go into a pub that's out of the way, and you'll really learn/feel what the UK is about, and you'll meet so many interesting people and hear great stories.

Cheers to that:iconbeer:

H

HavBlue

Don't them folks drive on the wrong side of the road? I guess a rental bike is out?????

macvicar

Reaction score
Visit site
England

We were over last spring. get a rail pass the best thing we ever did, paid $350 for it and went from the south of England to Scotland to Wales then backdown to London, it was good for 5 days or travel on the train but most times they wouldn't even punch the ticket, the virgin trains are great,spacious, lots of food & beer comfortable chairs. The towns and public transit are so good we would go to a town look in the phone book for a travel lodge(60pounds per night) and make that our home base, the train stations all seem to be in the middle of the town so not a problem walking to the hotel
. We also purchased a Heritage pass for $100 ,got us in for at a lot of sites all over the UK well worth the money.

Great time only two days of rain, Scotland rocks lots of space up north and great scenery.
Macvicar