Plasti-dip front forks 04-06 FZ6?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the middle of changing my fork oil and seals on my 2006 and want to paint the forks black. I'm going to try plasti-dip since I am not 100% sure I will like them black.

Has anyone used plasti-dip on forks?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I could save you the headache and sell you some BLACK R6 forks... Perfect use for 5w oil you have there too! Dako still makes the install kit and your set! :thumbup: :spank::spank:

PS waiting for paint to dry is dreadful in the cooler temps.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I could save you the headache and sell you some BLACK R6 forks... Perfect use for 5w oil you have there too! Dako still makes the install kit and your set! :thumbup: :spank::spank:

PS waiting for paint to dry is dreadful in the cooler temps.

haha. I appreciate the offer but I've already got all the parts for the fork job. I'll be painting on a 50 degree day and letting them dry in my basement with the woodstove.

lam.i.am

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done forks, fairings, 22" rims for my truck, my daughter's helmet, and lots of random stuff (friend's legs when he passed out in front of a camp fire).

First set of forks I used three even coats. Second set of forks had five coats. If you have never used plastidip before, just be patient and follow the directions. People say it will chip/scratch/rub. I had 6k miles on a set and noticed nothing. Plus if it does chip, just spray a little more on.

I'll do my FZ6 forks this summer when it warms up. Should look awesome with black wheels.

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same thought, going to plasti-dip my forks. I have done my wheels on my car and they look great, have lasted all winter.

Another thought is to plasti-dip part of my tank where my knees hit. If it doesn't look good or rubs off I will just peel it off.

lam.i.am

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same thought, going to plasti-dip my forks. I have done my wheels on my car and they look great, have lasted all winter.

Another thought is to plasti-dip part of my tank where my knees hit. If it doesn't look good or rubs off I will just peel it off.

I've had mixed results with the tank. On my first bike, my jeans would rub just enough off to slightly discolor them. Not sure if they were the jeans or the application. On my second bike, it was fine.

However, where the seat meets the tank will always rub off.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's how they turned out! I love the look and I used 5 coats. Seems like it will hold up well. Since it's rubbery it will resist chips from road debris and I can always touch it up if need be.