Red Light Madness! Gov't Out of Control

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Luckily here in TN, if you are on a motorcycle and a light wont trigger to green, you can legally treat it as a stop sign, as long as there is no traffic behind you to trigger the light, and there is no cross traffic that you will collide with.
Same thing in VA. I've had to run a few lights. Fortunately most VA traffic lights are triggered by a motion sensor, not a wire loop.

I avoid riding in cities at all costs. Stop signs never fail to turn "green" for me! :thumbup:

GA has a provision like that since our lights suck, some dont even pick up small cars as well as bikes
I carry a copy of the statute with me because I have been pulled over for that before...the cop was a particular prick about it when he had to let me go...lol
That's a good idea!

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I need to look up the actual code, but I think about a year ago they changed it in PA so that motorcycles may go threw a red light after a "reasonable amount of time" or something to that effect. Luckily I moved out of the Philly 'burbs and no longer have to deal with Rt 3 (or Rt 1...or 95...haha)

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need to look up the actual code, but I think about a year ago they changed it in PA so that motorcycles may go threw a red light after a "reasonable amount of time" or something to that effect. Luckily I moved out of the Philly 'burbs and no longer have to deal with Rt 3 (or Rt 1...or 95...haha)

I don't think we have that law...but regardless, why should I have to sit at five consecutive lights for a reasonable amount of time at 4:00 in the am? That would mean 5-10 minutes to go 1.5 miles. The problem mainly is the fact that they purposely switch to red to stop you.

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I definitely agree! One of the many reasons I'm glad to have moved back away from the city!

Only reason I thought we now had this law is because of a local radio show talking about "stupid laws that were just passed" and someone calling in to explain the utility of the "motorcycles being able to go through a traffic light" law that had just passed.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
These governments (local and bigger) are getting creative to find new funding sources. We have similar rackets around here although not as juvenile. Until a lot of motorists started howling, for example, about fining (over $360.00) for not making a complete stop before turning right at a light, treating it as somebody completely blowing through an intersection red light, the gov't was fine with collecting the money. Everybody's heard about schemes (shorteing yellow light times, etc) to get more people to get hit with those red light cameras. Now, it's tacking hefty fines on motorists for even briefy holding a cell phone, say, to look at the way one looks at a wristwatch to see the time, etc. Meanwhile, people wonder, then, "what about pushing buttons on a radio, or reading displays on the dashboard, eating a banana, etc.?" Same about state after state hiking fines way up, reducing the blood alcohol level to .08 from 1.0 after being threatened by the feds to withhold highway funding. Well, a lot of us are starting to question things because we're not CHILDREN and we can see that governements are just (often under the guise of "safety") really coming up with new sources of revenue so they keep on getting bigger and bigger. That traffic light ruse you talk about is just more of the same B.S., supposedly to increase "safety." Pity the poor, out-of-towners who get ticketed for getting caught up it because often, people have better things to do than take a day off from work, fight it out in court.

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think we have that law...but regardless, why should I have to sit at five consecutive lights for a reasonable amount of time at 4:00 in the am? That would mean 5-10 minutes to go 1.5 miles. The problem mainly is the fact that they purposely switch to red to stop you.
With no cars in sight, I'd say a "reasonable amount of time" is roughly 2 seconds -- just enough time to turn your head in each direction. I could understand having them all turn red on Friday and Saturday nights when there might actually be a lot of drunk drivers and kids speeding, but 365 days a year is just ridiculous.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh boy - it's turning into the government flame thread. :thumbup:

Lets work back to solving the problem.

Since my last suggestion was laughed off (fatties from the bar).

Have you considered reporting drunk driving on nearby streets to pull the LEOs away from your redlights so that you can blow through them without consequence?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh boy - it's turning into the government flame thread. :thumbup:

Lets work back to solving the problem.

Since my last suggestion was laughed off (fatties from the bar).

Have you considered reporting drunk driving on nearby streets to pull the LEOs away from your redlights so that you can blow through them without consequence?

I like your thinking there. You sure have a lot of creative solutions!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
There is always an alternate route...even if it's longer it could be more fun and less frustration.

Although I know West Chester area from some projects I'm involved in up there....it's what I would call a "cluster-phuk" similar to the MD/VA suburbs of DC.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
That's messed up. Stopping ALL traffic in a potentially unsafe and undoubtedly wasteful manner multiple times is criminal. The logic that it will help catch a few additional intoxicated drivers is BS. Stick to occasionally annoying sober motorists with checkpoints and using actual police work to detect DUIs.

In other news, Ohendo, we should meet up for a ride. My buddy lives lives just off five points and rt 3 and we get together on the weekends. PM your # if interested.

Or they could stick to pulling over people who show visible signs of being drunk.

They did something about like this at the light at the end of my road. Both ways had 2 lanes, but before the right was right turn only, so there was no reason really for the right lane to trigger the light. Well, they rerouted it, and now the left lane is left turn only, but the right lane still doesn't trigger the light. After evening rush hour, even if you do trigger the light, it's about a 5-10 minute wait, it's effing ridiculous. To top it off, I swear it only turns when it senses cross traffic. I can sit there for 5 minutes without another car in sight... but when a car comes, it turns red for them. Freaking stupid. :rolleyes:

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
There is always an alternate route...even if it's longer it could be more fun and less frustration.

Although I know West Chester area from some projects I'm involved in up there....it's what I would call a "cluster-phuk" similar to the MD/VA suburbs of DC.
Yeah, even back roads in the West Chester area can be pretty painful. They love putting stop signs at every neighborhood.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think NJ has that now.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
We've all had the issue where you roll up to a traffic signal and the wire loop sensor fails to recognize the FZ, forcing you to either run the light, wait for a cager to trip it, or perform some other maneuver. Well I've got a new issue that may become more prevalent as it is adopted further.

On Route 3 (West Chester Pike) in West Chester, PA, a particular stretch runs through a township called East Goshen. There are five traffic lights on Rte 3 controlled by this township. They've taken it upon themselves to program the lights differently on off peak hours vs peak hours. Here's the deal: From 10pm to about 6am, these traffic signals sense your approach (using a camera or light detector or something) and turn the signal to red just as you get close, forcing you to stop abruptly. As soon as you've come to a complete stop, the light changes back to green. Each of the five lights I mentioned does this. So if you're driving along the route in the middle of the night, with no traffic to speak of, you will get stopped at five traffic lights in a row guaranteed. Going slower or faster produces no remedy. Annoying waste of brake pad during stop and fuel on restart.

To make matters worse, there's a flaw in the programming. The signal can sense a motorcycle approaching, and turns to red. But for whatever reason the signal fails to sense the bike sitting at the light, so it STAYS RED indefinitely! Imagine five lights in a row, each one turning red on you and failing to ever turn green, forcing you to run five signals consecutively.

I wrote the township manager who said they have done this as part of a new federal program to reduce accidents by speeders and drunk drivers on major roads. I say it's another case of government run amok, and a new method of entrapment to catch an unaware motorist running a red light. The LEO often sit just past one of the five lights waiting for a red light runner.

I need to find a new route and avoid this stretch of road!:banghead:

You should be happy that there isn't a speed camera as well. Otherwise you would probably storm the townhall with your pitchfork, lol.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I look at the positive in these situations. I take u-turn practice seriously. In Phoenix there are a couple of lights that I need to take a left at. Most if the time especially off peak hours I take a right and go to make a u-turn. Eventually I'll be hitting the u-turn at speed and dragging a knee like those ganjin videos

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the upside - I've made 4 phone calls to discuss traffic control with city people in three different counties; all were to request timing changes as the flow was STUPID! My requests were all completed and flow improved!

So for some of us; a phone call can't hurt!

For me I explained what it did, how it was not sensible, and requested an engineer observe the condition. So Far so good. I have one more that is just plane stupid and unsafe. <<Use that word allot as they don't like"unsafe" conditions.

lastly - so many people blow through Yellows here and FLAT OUT - RUN RED LIGHTS! Be wise people and look out!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
you should camp out one night with a GAMO Varmint Hunter Elite Air Rifle. and shoot out all of the lights. they'd never hear you fire and at 1750 fps. you could hide pretty far away in some bushes while you take 'em out....:rolleyes::ban:

* it would just be minor vandalism nobody would care..... much....:spank:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I look at the positive in these situations. I take u-turn practice seriously. In Phoenix there are a couple of lights that I need to take a left at. Most if the time especially off peak hours I take a right and go to make a u-turn. Eventually I'll be hitting the u-turn at speed and dragging a knee like those ganjin videos

U-turns are illegal in TN. every county at any time. however a Y turn or a 3-point turn is not illegal, which makes no sense whatsoever. since a U is much faster and wont usually hold up traffic.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
U-turns are illegal in TN. every county at any time. however a Y turn or a 3-point turn is not illegal, which makes no sense whatsoever. since a U is much faster and wont usually hold up traffic.

A 3 point turn and new side of Car! Nice to know that's legal!

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the law in PA.
(c) Inoperable or malfunctioning signal.--If a traffic-control signal is out of operation or is not functioning properly, vehicular traffic facing a:
(1) Green or yellow signal may proceed with caution as indicated in subsection (a)(1) and (2).
(2) Red or completely unlighted signal shall stop in the same manner as at a stop sign, and the right to proceed shall be subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign as provided in section 3323 (relating to stop signs and yield signs).

It can be found here. Scroll down to page 6 ;).
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter31.pdf

Personally, I would stop at each light for at least 30 seconds and then proceed through if it's safe. That way if you get an ******* cop and have to go to court you can honestly say you tried to wait for the light to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: