Remove airbox to replace ignition switch

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Been awhile since I've been on here..just started riding the fizzer again recently with the new job. Have a bad ignition switch (no click on the button), still works but I want to replace it before it goes completely bad on me. Got the switch module. Pulled the tank up, got the battery out to pull the battery box since the wiring goes underneath the d*mn thing, nope, it's blocked by the air box. Can't see a way to take out the air box except for 4 clamps on the intake pipes underneath..no other screws and those're hard to get to in the first place so I don't want to mess with them unless I have to...how do you get the flippin airbox out?!

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
You would need to remove the clamps on the three hoses facing the back of the bike, and one on the right side of the airbox near the frame. After you pull those hoses off you just wiggle the airbox straight up off the TB's. Really easy to do once you know how.

Check this out, step by step directions.

http://members.shaw.ca/bd43/hd_install.htm

Good luck with the bike, man.

Last edited:

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Been working on bike trying to fix an issue I am having and Ive had to take airbox off many a time so far. Dont know what year yours is but for my 06' you have to loosen the 4 clamps on the bottom of airbox around throttle body throats (I suggest using a long allenkey to do it because it makes it ALOT easier), remove clamps around 3 hoses in front and one to the right on battery side (its a tight fit on mine so it may be tricky, just be patient, I also recommend reattaching this hose before you put the airbox all the way on because its much easier that way), than remove the two bolts that hold the box in near the battery "housing" I guess you would call it? The battery housing and the air box are held in by the same bolts. If you want I can take pictures of it. Just let me know. :D

Good luck!

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Been working on bike trying to fix an issue I am having and Ive had to take airbox off many a time so far. Dont know what year yours is but for my 06' you have to loosen the 4 clamps on the bottom of airbox around throttle body throats (I suggest using a long allenkey to do it because it makes it ALOT easier), remove clamps around 3 hoses in front and one to the right on battery side (its a tight fit on mine so it may be tricky, just be patient, I also recommend reattaching this hose before you put the airbox all the way on because its much easier that way), than remove the two bolts that hold the box in near the battery "housing" I guess you would call it? The battery housing and the air box are held in by the same bolts. If you want I can take pictures of it. Just let me know. :D

Good luck!

I also have an '06 (good year). Pics would be fantastic. I'm decent on the car, but the bike guts are a bit tighter. If I can't get the airbox off, i have a cold heat soldering iron and i'm gonna see about just swapping out the switch instead of the entire module. Would rather do the whole thing and keep it clean though!

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have an '06 (good year). Pics would be fantastic. I'm decent on the car, but the bike guts are a bit tighter. If I can't get the airbox off, i have a cold heat soldering iron and i'm gonna see about just swapping out the switch instead of the entire module. Would rather do the whole thing and keep it clean though!

Here are some pics of the stuff you need to remove to get the airbox off:

(sorry for the quality its night over here)

1st Pic: Allen Key I used to take of clamps under airbox for easier access.
2nd pic: Air intake temp. sensor plus 3 hoses you have to remove on front
3rd pic: AIS hose from airbox (this is tight fit, put on before completely putting airbox back on.)
4th and 5th pic: bolts near battery that need to be removed.
6th pic: Under the air box view of clamps you need to unscrew. (check to the left of the idle screw, they should be angled towards you if no one screwed with em.)

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh bless you - you may well have just saved me from having to hack the bike. The airbox was giving me fits because I couldn't see all the attach points. Will wait until it cools down a bit to take everything apart again (we're supposed to be kissing close to a hundred this week) and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, I can still swap out just the ignition switch, though I still don't like the idea of soldering.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Meh, easy enough, just remember to be patient when getting the airbox lined back up. Autozone and your local stealership will NOT have hoses and boots lying around.

Just saying...

This bike is laid out 100x better than my old Katana, and that thing was a land cruiser by comparison. 2x the room, half the components, engine block about 3/4 size of the FZ6, and you still had to basically disassemble the whole bike to do anything with it. Unless you needed to work on the battery. That was under the seat. Change the taillight bulb tho, dissassemble rear frame assembly.