Sell the FZ for an R1, or just have 2?

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, its a long story, but ill shorten it up a bit. Been getting on the wife about getting a dog, she hates, hates HATES, animals, anything, rabbits, dogs, cats.. you name it... so this morning i really drilled into her on wanting a dog, i have always had one growing up, and now that we have been married awhile, i would like to get one for us. she is 100% against it... long story short, she said anything but a dog, well i jumped on that, seeing as she always busts my ballz about wanting another bike. i made her a deal, a new bike, if i drop the dog issue.
we didnt get into it too much, since i just got laid off, we are not by any means in the market for a new bike now. but in the future... few months or so. looking for something new.

My question to multiple bike owners, do you really get use out of both bikes? I love the FZ, and dont want to sell it, (especially after doing so much to it in the last year) but i dont know how much i would ride it... my absolute dream bike is a 2008 R1 Raven with gold accents, i currently have a Raven FZ with Red accents.
08-R1-BLACK.JPG

2839_1022241811032_1674810171_33913_8004558_n.jpg

like i said, my question is... how often do you guys ride both bikes? are they both sport bikes? my buddy had a cruiser and a z1000... depending on the group he was riding with, he rode one or the other, im just not so sure how often i would get to ride both. i do about 7,000miles a year. I just dont know if these bikes are too close to eachother,

So whats your opinion... buy the R1 and keep the FZ6, or sell the FZ for the R1?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
like i said, my question is... how often do you guys ride both bikes?

So whats your opinion... buy the R1 and keep the FZ6, or sell the FZ for the R1?

I tried to ride two bike at one time and couldn't keep them both going in a straight line. :D

The times I've owned two bikes one has been a track bike so I can't really comment.

If you can swing it, do it!

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want two bikes then do it. What do you expect to achieve with the R1? Track bike? More speed? Just always wanted one? Another payment? :D Figure also what the insurance would be and factor in $$$ for future mods for the new bike. I have a cruiser too and it just depends on my mood which bike I take.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
My question to multiple bike owners, do you really get use out of both bikes? I love the FZ, and dont want to sell it, (especially after doing so much to it in the last year) but i dont know how much i would ride it... my absolute dream bike is a 2008 R1 Raven with gold accents, i currently have a Raven FZ with Red accents.

The FZ6 is more practical with more comfy ergo's for long-distance touring, commuting and looks good with added-on luggage. If you use the FZ6 mainly for the above reasons plus light track duty, I would keep it.

If the FZ6 utilized for lightly commuting and is mainly used for racing with friends on the weekends only and you seek significantly higher horsepower and insane top-end speed, then the R1 is for you. Hopefully your skills have advanced that you can handle the full fury of the R1 motor.

Your financial strength and budget goals should be the final deciding factor though, but as Pete says, if you can have both...go for it. You might opt for used R1 and save $$$.

For me, if you're going to have MBS (multiple bike syndrome) the FZ6 and R1 overlap in design. You could have a second bike be a dual-sport for going off-road so you have better diversity in purpose.

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 4 bikes, but only recognize two of them. The FZ6 and the XR650L. I own a FZ6, Ninja 500, Ninja 250 and XR650L. The FZ and ninjas are one in the same (so to speak). All street worthy and all fun in their own respect. The XR is however is different. I can take it off road and it weighs next to nothing! I can't imagine the R1 giving you anything the FZ can't on the street. My vote would be one or the other, but not both.

copperhd5

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can have both, then do so. They are different beasts. If in the future you find you prefer one over the other, you have an asset to sell. There are many variables that will help you decide, seen and unforseen.

I have more than one bike and ride day to day according to how I feel; who I may be riding with; type of road; type of function I'm headed to. Sometimes I just flip a darn coin!

Don't sell out your dream. If the R1 is your dream bike , then if and when you can, get it! Things will sort themselves out.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep the FZ, buy the R1, then tell your wife you'll sell the FZ if you can get a dog*. Simple, no?

*this may explain why I'm not married...

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, its a long story, but ill shorten it up a bit. Been getting on the wife about getting a dog, she hates, hates HATES, animals, anything, rabbits, dogs, cats.. you name it... so this morning i really drilled into her on wanting a dog, i have always had one growing up, and now that we have been married awhile, i would like to get one for us. she is 100% against it... long story short, she said anything but a dog, well i jumped on that, seeing as she always busts my ballz about wanting another bike. i made her a deal, a new bike, if i drop the dog issue.
we didnt get into it too much, since i just got laid off, we are not by any means in the market for a new bike now. but in the future... few months or so. looking for something new.

08-R1-BLACK.JPG

2839_1022241811032_1674810171_33913_8004558_n.jpg

like i said, my question is... how often do you guys ride both bikes? are they both sport bikes? my buddy had a cruiser and a z1000... depending on the group he was riding with, he rode one or the other, im just not so sure how often i would get to ride both. i do about 7,000miles a year. I just dont know if these bikes are too close to eachother,

I only ride one at the moment - my 08 FZ6N, but I would like a second bike one day - probably a sports bike.

Choice is a great thing - different bikes for different reasons.

My hubby rides his XJR1300 as a commuter bike, but for fun on the weekends, it's his new Speed Triple.

Just don't get into debt for it - that's when it can become a problem. You still have to afford all the extras - insurance, registration, carbon fiber......

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, its a hard decision, i like the look and feel of hte FZ, and i think if i were to get the R1, i would go naked on the FZ, i like how nakeds look, but i like a little plastic to, but if i had the R1 plastic'd out, i could break down teh FZ to bare bones. My thing is, its like having a mini van, and a corvette. Both have the same purpose, A to B. but one would be used for in town trips, cruising on a sat. and such, and the other is for long hauls. Not that i do many trips, (dont have any luggage) but a quick trip to the ocean (3 hours each way) would feel alot better on the FZ than the R1. Same as any all day rides. Plus, i can see the wife liking the ride on the FZ alot better than the R1. i cant imagine the R1 would have teh same feel for her on the back.
im also in love with the LE, but you dont see them much... thats neck and neck with the Raven, i think if i had both right next to eachother, it would be a tough choice, but i would have to go with the LE just because of the meaning behind it... :drool:

Jack-06-R1-LE.jpg

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
That Raven and Gold R1 looks amazing :drool:

To answer your multiple bike question, I could see having more than one motorcycle if they were different enough to accomplish different tasks.

For example, I would love to add a Yamaha WR250 R to my collection. That's where I started (offroad/ backroads) on a dual sport bike. I still find seasonal roads, two tracks and power lines that I would love to explore, however the FZ6 just isn't that kind of bike.

The R1 might be a perfect addition to your garage if you can think of enough uses for the FZ6 to keep it.

Good luck with your decision:thumbup:

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an FZ1N (after having had an FZ6N for a year) and an R1. They are an awesome combination and whilst i commute on the FZ the R1 comes out every weekend its not raining and a grin from ear to ear.

Have you ridden the R1? if not, don't unless you intend to buy it (would be my advice)

I'd sell blood/liver before i let one of mine go.

As others before me have said in this post. it generally comes down to finance ut if you do get one i know you will not regret it