Sick Of Winter Sign In!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, dunno how much I can legitimately bitch, as I've still been able to ride 2-3 days a week, but damn, I'm tired of being cold and/or wet!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Woke up again to +4F here in Virginia. I've lived here 20 years and this is the first year since that I've recorded more than 2 lows below 5F during the winter and we are only half way done! :Flip:

Aussies: It's not winter for you so stay out of our whining thread! :Flip:

Southern CA/AZ people: :Flip:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Do not mind the cold as much as the salt, snow, ice and above all unaware 4 wheeler's not expecting to see 2 wheels on the street.

I can't imagine actually enjoying the act of riding when it's cold, even with proper gear you are so bundled up in gear that you can't control the motorcycle nearly as well and when you combine that with cold tires and possibly sand, salt, gravel and ice patches in the roadways it's just not worth riding this time of year. My daily driver econo-box gets 35 mpg and has heat! On a plus note, just heard that it's supposed to hit 60 F here on Sunday! :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine actually enjoying the act of riding when it's cold, even with proper gear you are so bundled up in gear that you can't control the motorcycle nearly as well and when you combine that with cold tires and possibly sand, salt, gravel and ice patches in the roadways it's just not worth riding this time of year. My daily driver econo-box gets 35 mpg and has heat! On a plus note, just heard that it's supposed to hit 60 F here on Sunday! :thumbup:

Heated gear will eliminate a lot of the layering. However the surface condition does change drastically. You have to ask yourself is it worth the risk, and for most riders it is not. Me on the other hand, have accepted the consequences of riding year round in a region that is not very forgiving being on two wheels. It has resulted in a torn ACL. But a torn ACL could have easily happened playing basketball, softball, etc. When you ride everyday, you're definitely at higher risk category than a rider who only rides in more favorable conditions.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
But on a positive note I just ordered some new gauntlet gloves and shorty levers for the bike! Also am about to send my seat out to Spencer's to get modded so I'll be ready to ride when the weather breaks. Can't wait to fire it up!:rockon:

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Checking in from Chicago... This winter has been rough. And living in the city, most people walk everywhere, or take public transit. Not exactly fun when its -50 w/ windchill. I am truly afraid to see my next gas bill :spank:

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
We had about 6 inches of snow today in Minnesota. I'm so sick of this. I really miss being on my FZ, Hate driving in the cage everyday :(

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like I said, I don't mind the cold. I like the change in seasons.

But the folks who are complaining and are sick of it, you can always improve your quality of life and move to a different part of the country. It's hard moving, it is one of the most difficult decisions to make in life. You only live once, go for it.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:scared: I like winter.......it gives me the chance to do all that stuff I don't want to do in spring/summer/fall.....like cleaning out closets, catching up on the book & other things I started last year but didn't finish cause I needed to go ride while I could!!

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Not looking forward to commuting next week in the high 20's, going to have my heated grips serviced on Tuesday. My TourMaster Winter Elite 2's plus elephant ears don't quite make it the 30 miles by themselves, damn these skinny hands! I will note that the best cold gear I have is a Frogg Toggs rain jacket, it has kept my upper body warm in as low as 19 degrees with a -5 windchill average on the bike.

Here is a windchill calculator to see how big your nards are.

Online Conversion - Wind Chill Calculator

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Like I said, I don't mind the cold. I like the change in seasons.

But the folks who are complaining and are sick of it, you can always improve your quality of life and move to a different part of the country. It's hard moving, it is one of the most difficult decisions to make in life. You only live once, go for it.

I complain in January and February but I really don't mind my location (Central Virginia). We do get 2-3 months of unfavorable riding weather in the winter but we also have some of the nicest east coast weather in spring-fall and our summers are rarely unbearably hot like the Gulf Coast and Florida or even the southwest for that matter. I live only 30 minutes from the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the start of the best riding on the east coast all the way to the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. It's just seeing my bike sitting in the basement with the wood stove collecting dust that gets me down! :Flash: