So I rode my FZ6 from Maine to California and back. (WARNING: Image HEAVY)

Maycyn

Reaction score
Visit site
On May 16th my boyfriend and I each took a month away from work, loaded our bikes up, and rode out to California. Our destination was the Grand Canyon but we wanted to travel around it rather than cover the same ground twice. We arrived home on May 16th, having spent 15 days riding and 17 days relaxing or visiting family.

An average day for us was somewhere around 500-600 miles. There were a few days where we did maybe 300, and a few where we got closer to 800. I'm thrilled to report that there were NO major problems at all with the FZ6. I rode on the stock seat :eek: the entire time and, considering that my previous bike was a Suzuki Boulevard, I found it to be quite comfortable. I've never fully understood the joy of having a windscreen until I spent all day riding and realized my neck and shoulders weren't killing me from the wind. No speeding tickets, no flat tires, no crashes or drops. We lubed our chains each night since we were covering so many miles each day and facing such different climates (in a day and a half we went from snow, to hail, to 106 degrees F in the desert). I had a small issue for two days where each night my chain kept coming up tight but we resolved that. I changed my oil before we left for the trip, and again when we reached Maryland on the return trip. I had bought the bike with brand new tires on it and chose to ride them through the trip to Tennessee where I had a new rear put on two days before riding to and down the Dragon.

As far as words of wisdom go I would first like to say that anyone who wants to do a trip like this just needs to go for it. If you're like we are and you don't mind camping, and you can live without your computers and your televisions and your daily showers and clean clothes :D it's pretty inexpensive. We made this trip on our tax returns. You never know when you'll get the chance again. We traveled with the three piece cortech soft luggage and a bungee net to strap the sleeping bags and tent on top of them. This luggage has traveled several years over several bikes with me and has performed fantastically. I kept one set of long johns, one set of warm and one set of cold weather gloves and a full body rainsuit and found myself perfectly suited to all of the elements we encountered. Everything was stored inside cheap garbage bags, or ziploc storage bags in the case of the camera and cell phone (my cell was stolen in Arizona) without any problem.

A few last observations before I throw a selection of pictures in.

~If you observed rain clouds down the road, go ahead and stop to put on your rain gear, that will clear the storm up immediately and make you nice and toasty warm.
~95% of the people who didn't wave back to me were on cruisers.
~Of those people on cruisers, 80% of them were women. It makes me wonder if they're scared to take a hand off of the bike, unobservant to the point of not noticing a huge girl on a big blue bike waving at her, or just that plain bitchy.
~If you ever plan to get anywhere, you're never going to be able to stop to take all the pictures you want. Therefore you must channel Ewan McGregor and hire a film crew to follow you around. Or be able to take pictures with your eyes and print them out of your ass.....just sayin.
~Missouri was the most mind numbingly boring state I have ever had the dubious pleasure to ride though. My apologies to anyone who lives there, next time I come through you'll have to prove me wrong.
~The states of Colorado and Utah do not believe in guard rails. If anyone is thinking about riding the Dragon and are nervous, take a ride out to Utah first and ride the road to Escalante. For several miles it is a 10mph road with a steep downhill grade, twisting curves, no shoulders and 3000ft vertical drops on BOTH sides and completely lacking in guard rails. It was thrilling and beautiful out there. In comparison I felt like fluffy bunnies and kittens and bluebirds were trailing behind me on the Dragon.
~You will never need as much clothing as you take. I existed on two pairs of jeans and three shirts although I brought much more. Socks on the other hand, you can never have enough of. Plan accordingly.
~And finally at the risk of sounding like Nike, just do it guys. If you have to put in for time off two years in advance and start a separate account where you hide the money for it, just get on your bike and ride for days. I logically knew, but never understood how vast and different and incredibly gorgeous our country is. Everyone should know the pleasure of standing speechless and in awe of the world in which we live.

All geared up at 3:30am to head out!
CrossCountrySummer09002.jpg

Can you spot the orange ninja doll hiding in some of the pictures?
CrossCountrySummer09006.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09010.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09023.jpg

Our typical campsite, this was in Ohio.
CrossCountrySummer09032.jpg

A few shots from the American Motorcycle Association Motorcycle Hall of Fame.
CrossCountrySummer09033.jpg

They let you on Will Smiths MV Agusta

CrossCountrySummer09037.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09051.jpg

Maycyn

Reaction score
Visit site
The Mississippi river.
CrossCountrySummer09062.jpg

A wind farm in Kansas
CrossCountrySummer09070.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09075.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09080.jpg

Camping in Cripple Creek Colorado
CrossCountrySummer09087.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09097.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09100.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09112.jpg

It was snowing here, and made me glad I put my long johns on that morning.
CrossCountrySummer09116.jpg

Maycyn

Reaction score
Visit site
CrossCountrySummer09119.jpg

Welcome to Utah.
CrossCountrySummer09125.jpg

Aaaand then we hit utah and I was pissed at myself for still having the long johns on. Snow to desert was an interesting transition.
CrossCountrySummer09131.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09140.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09154.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09155.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09199.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09184.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09188.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09166.jpg

Maycyn

Reaction score
Visit site
CrossCountrySummer09214.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09218.jpg

Our campground in Needles, California was so beautiful and so warm at night what we strung up our camping hammocks and slept in them rather than the tent.
CrossCountrySummer09222.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09225.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09229.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09274.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09245.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09246.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09251.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09263.jpg

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow awesome story and great tips! Sounds like an amazing life adventure, thanks for sharing! Once my g/f gets proficient enough at riding we will have to do something like this. Post more more pics if you got'em!

Edit - spoke to soon you're still posting! Sorry to break the flow :spank:

Last edited:

Maycyn

Reaction score
Visit site
CrossCountrySummer09290.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09293.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09307.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09308.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09317.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09319.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09323.jpg

CrossCountrySummer09326.jpg

My step daughter was intent on cleaning my bike when we reached Maryland.
CrossCountrySummer09338.jpg

And my final mileage, from my front door and back again:
IMG_0712.jpg

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Thanks for posting this.

I got near the end of the pics/post and realized that I'd read through the post listening to The Who's Baba O'Riley -- it was a perfect soundtrack.

I rode across the country on a bicycle some years ago and couldn't agree with you more about being amazed at the size and diversity of this nation. Oh, but Kansas sucks a$$ way worse than Missouri, as far as being boring. :D

A similar journey is somewhere in my future.

How many fellow forum members did you look up? Any?

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you had a fantastic time. Great photos and write up. I am working up to a long trip. I have done a couple of 500-1000 mile trips. What a beautiful country. I can't wait to get out on a long ride.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sara, I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I am glad you had a safe and awesome trip! Thanks for the write up and the pics - what an amazing ride!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sooooo envious! What a great pictoral for an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing! I would love to do this some day but unless my wife changes jobs, we cannot take a whole month off, hell, I don't even get my forth week of vacation until 2015!

The best part is, outside of the cell phone, an incident free trip! Congrats for such an amazing journey!

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool adventure. I don't know many women that would do this, your boyfriend is a lucky man. I plan to do this same trip next year but the opposite way. It's the only way anyone can appreciate what we have in this country.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
~Missouri was the most mind numbingly boring state I have ever had the dubious pleasure to ride though. My apologies to anyone who lives there, next time I come through you'll have to prove me wrong.

ha ha ha...by chance, do you know what the state motto is?

The "Show Me" state!

in case you visit again, Missouri is good for lazy float/canoe trips, bbq (at least near KC), and Imos pizza (at least near STL). And it has a dam fine engineering school in Rolla, Missouri (alma mater x 2).

i live in Kansas, just over the MO-KS border, but im originally from chicago. i would say Kansas is much more boring, or maybe western Nebraska (no disrespect to anybody out there in these areas).

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow just completely stunning and amazing. I loved the pic of the indian paintings on the rock. i am very jealous of your adventure:thumbup::thumbup::rockon::rockon: