So what's the verdict on the FZ8?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The new honda CBF1000FA is a really good bike if a bit ugly. Knocked the socks off a GSX1250FA bandit and the Fazer8 in magazine I just read.

I like the new Kawasaki Z1000SX, looks like a real gem.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with above. I think the FZ8 addresses one of the FZ6's biggest faults which is the lack of low end power. That being said, the FZ8 is VERY expensive in ENgland and definitely overpriced compared to the excellent competition. I think the new Kawasaki Z1000SX, used VFR800i or F800ST are better bikes and likely cheaper as well in the UK. The best deal would probably be had on a use FZ1..

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ8 is not a great bike, although was talking to the local Yamaha guy and he reckons it is heaps better than the FZ6, heaps more power and easier to wheelie. If really want the best bike that will knock your socks off and sounds awesome stock go for the Street Triple R, alot cheaper than the FZ8 too.

EDIT :- Welcome back :)

FZ6 is just as quick as the Triumph...you just gotta use the power above 8000rpm's in OEM mode!

Go and ride one mate,everyone else is just quoting stats.
Your the only one that can say if you like it,if it feels right and does the job you want it to ,then whats the problem ?

I have ridden an FZ8...and it was a piece of dung! So much for tuning it for more grunt down low, it's just like an FZ6, no real power below 7000rpm, only 1000rpm lower than the FZ6...it's about 20kg's heavier, and the throttle is heavier than a left wing politician's guilt trip!

But having said that, i have a friend who has an FZ8, and he absolutely loves it to death...as Mick said, if irt feels right, who cares what anyone else thinks...it's like my mates with litre bikes (not all of them) who tell me there is nothing like a 1000...my response, there is nothing like the bike YOU like to ride...

FZ8 looks great though...till you get to the Muffler...which looks like it was fabricated 5 minutes before the final design had to be submitted!

If they gave the FZ8 decent adjustable suspension, and an extra 20hp, we would be going nuts for it...

In time, the FZ8 will gain a good rep, as it is a Yamaha, and Yamaha's dont break!

just my 2 cents worth...

Each to their own!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I have to admit the new Kawasaki Z750R looks mighty tempting. I mean, check this out...

2011-kawasaki-z750r-photo-2.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to admit the new Kawasaki Z750R looks mighty tempting. I mean, check this out...

2011-kawasaki-z750r-photo-2.jpg

Agreed, is also a better bike than it's predecessor, better perimeter frame (instead of a tubular frame, made to look like a perimeter frame!), more poke, etc...in Australian Motorcycle News last issue, there was a picture of the new Z1000S....yep, with a fairing, looks even better again IMHO...

:rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey David! I'd suggest a nice FZ1. They are a dime a dozen here in the States, not sure about the UK. I'm really happy with mine. :thumbup:

When you're in town next let me know. We can hit the Gingerman again.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 is just as quick as the Triumph...you just gotta use the power above 8000rpm's in OEM mode!

Got any numbers to back that up? Regardless, very few of us have the skills to go anywhere near the acceleration times that are posted by the factory pro's.

Having owned both bikes, I can tell you the Triumph is leaps and bounds better to ride than my old Yamaha. Fully adjustable suspension, gobs of torque, and plenty of top end pull. The motor on this bike is like someone took all the good characteristics of a V-twin and I-4 and bread them to make this Triple.

The biggest differences in the bikes isn't the acceleration anyway. The biggest differences are in the handling and the brakes. Two places where I think we can all agree the FZ6 needed help. I understand the FZ8 is suffering from the same deficit.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the FZ8.

I don't have the same technical reasoning or other bike comparisons at the moment, there's just something about it.

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
My uneducated guess is that since the FZ8 is pretty darn close to the 2006-present FZ1, it is reliable. The old tech also means you're probably getting less for your money than you would with some of the competitors' newer designs.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Hey David! I'd suggest a nice FZ1. They are a dime a dozen here in the States, not sure about the UK. I'm really happy with mine. :thumbup:

When you're in town next let me know. We can hit the Gingerman again.
Thanks Pete. I'll definitely let you know when I'm around next. No concrete plans at the moment but who knows what might happen.

My only hesitation on the FZ1 is that it is the top stolen bike in London and I don't have a great place to park it during the day, so that has to be factored in. In all honesty, I'll probably spend a couple of grand on an old beater to use for commuting in the winter and then look to buy a new or nearly-new 'summer bike' for the weekends.

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site

I dunno about this, my friend says the same thing though you have to be over 8000rpm, however even when at full throttle on the FZ6 on the Triple R all you do is twist the throttle and you zip past the FZ6 very very quickly, could be different gearing ?? And when I am on my FZ6 my mate always flys past me like I am standing still. My bike is stock, I think my friends Triple R has -1 on the front sprocket but that is all.