Suspension swap on the Buell

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
So when I got my Buell, I had the choice to get a Blue Scg (lowered model), or wait 3-6months for the S model (regular height).

Since I hate waiting, I got the lowered model... the differences are as follow:

- 3 inch lower seat (carved seat)
- 2-3 in. less travel on the front forks
- 2-3 in. less travel on the rear shock

At the time I thought I'd just get the regular S seat if the Scg one was too low, which turned out to be the case. Harley swapped the Scg seat for a regular one and off I was...

While I am very happy with my bike for normal use, the front suspension will bottom out on me going over big potholes or if I try to go over a speed bump while applying the front brake... there is just not enough suspension travel for these specific situations... so when I came across a dude with an S trying to swap suspension with an Scg, I jumped on it!

Here is the difference in travel:

Normal model:

frontsusp.jpg

Lowered model:

frontsusp.jpg

So here is what had to happen this wkd:

4958486403_a3e1ef8190_b.jpg

4961782087_6571447631_b.jpg

4962376362_f625c0fd17_b.jpg

I can't believe how easy the forks and shock were to take off the bike! It took me longer to figure out how to remove the side-stand than it took to remove the forks AND shock! Very cool :)

So my bike is an '09 with 16k+ miles on it... the dude I am swapping with has an older model ('06 I think), but he only has 5k miles on his bike! The only issue is that his forks are silver, so I'll have to get them anodized... His shock is blue though, so that'll work :)

I shipped the parts today and this is what's coming back:

520_20100905161611_L.jpg

I know no-one here cares about Buells and even less about suspension swap on Buells, but it's almost lunch and I don't feel like working, so I thought I'd share with you bored ppl out there :BLAA:

Last edited:
So how will this impact handling in the twisties?

or if I try to go over a speed bump while applying the front brake...

You should be wheelieing off the larger dome style speed bumps :spank: Brake before, throttle up as your front tire reaches the top.

lol yeah that's one solution... the only issue with that is that the only speed bump I encounter on a regular basis is located in the parking lot of my company right in front of the guard's office... so that would not go over well :)

Well the higher center of gravity should mean a little harder turn in, and more stability at higher speeds, but from what I read on a couple of Buell forums the differences are barely noticeable... I'll have to confirm on my own though since from what I gather, it seems not a lot of ppl push their XB12s in the twisties.....

LOL, Mr. Lucky that's you. Nice score David, now just do something about that "illegal" windscreen. :spank::D

Wow those first two pictures really show the difference in travel. The new ones should be a big difference.

Is you bike still hanging from the ceiling?!? Hmmm gives me some new thoughts of how to decorate the basement

LOL, Mr. Lucky that's you. Nice score David, now just do something about that "illegal" windscreen. :spank::D

lol I told you John!!! as usual, it pretty much fell on my laps... I wasn't even actively looking for it and it just popped up! :D

About the windscreen, I had completely forgotten about that! :) I won't do anything about it though!!! my stock setup is illegal? Ya right... you'd have to be smoking some heavy sh*t to mistake my bike for a Police bike...

What's new with you? all good up North? :)

Wow those first two pictures really show the difference in travel. The new ones should be a big difference.

Is you bike still hanging from the ceiling?!? Hmmm gives me some new thoughts of how to decorate the basement

Yeah right now I can VERY comfortably set both my feet on the ground at a stop (with a slight bend in my knees on top of it), but with these I won't be able to completely flat foot anymore... which should be the case anyway.

and yes, the bike is still hanging from the ceiling in my garage (hopefully that wood beam will hold for another week or so lol) :cheer:

hanging your bike from the ceiling without the forks and rear suspension is also one of the best antitheft systems!

Very nice deal David, glad that all panned out for you. Just put your plates on the GSXR for this week:thumbup:

Might I suggest putting some wood beams under the bike just in case...

lol I told you John!!! as usual, it pretty much fell on my laps... I wasn't even actively looking for it and it just popped up! :D

About the windscreen, I had completely forgotten about that! :) I won't do anything about it though!!! my stock setup is illegal? Ya right... you'd have to be smoking some heavy sh*t to mistake my bike for a Police bike...

Yeah right now I can VERY comfortably set both my feet on the ground at a stop (with a slight bend in my knees on top of it), but with these I won't be able to completely flat foot anymore... which should be the case anyway.

and yes, the bike is still hanging from the ceiling in my garage (hopefully that wood beam will hold for another week or so lol) :cheer:

a cop said your stock "windscreen" was illegal lol? i like that color blue on your bike.

a cop said your stock "windscreen" was illegal lol? i like that color blue on your bike.

There have been several instances where people on this forum have gotten pulled over for the buell naked conversion on their FZ6's, red or blue.

You should see that bike in person. It's gorgeous dude. And sounds even better than it looks!

Very nice deal David, glad that all panned out for you. Just put your plates on the GSXR for this week:thumbup:

Might I suggest putting some wood beams under the bike just in case...

I wish I could use the gixxer on the streets at times :)

Yeah another dude on the Buell forum recommended I stick some blocks of wood under the engine... :rockon:

I know you may have answered this question before on another thread, but.... why did you get a buell instead of getting a fz1?

I wanted to get away from I4 engines and experience torque over HP... plus I was too tempted to fully utilize the high revs, which wasn't really reasonable on the streets and my style of riding...

So it was between a Triumph triple (street or speed) and the Buell (9 or 12), and after test riding the Buell I just couldn't resist. Plus someone told me the peak power on a Triple is also up in the 8-9k rpms, so it sealed the deal (Buell redlines at 7k lol)... I basically wanted a twin and the Buell just fit the bill all around for the streets (love how it looks too) :)

Well Lefty got us 19 riders pulled over for SPEEDING down a very mellow scenic road, and the cop mentioned that my windscreen setup was illegal due to the colors... hmmm but sir, it's a STOCK setup! To which he responded that it didn't matter due to special California laws... he didn't write me up though, just kindly asked me to fix it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nice deal David! Can't wait to see it and hit Monty again! :BLAA: I'm going to try and sneak in another ride this week...:thumbup:

I take it the side stand is longer/shorter between the two?

I can't believe the screen colour could cause all that grief!

Yeah the side stand is shorter on the lowered model... they did a pretty good job with it as the whole stand assembly comes off the bike with only 2 bolts... no need to remove the spring or anything...

errr I just checked the tracking number and it says:

Scheduled Delivery Date:09/13/2010

I was hoping to get them on Friday to be able to put them back on the bike this wkd!!! :)

There have been several instances where people on this forum have gotten pulled over for the buell naked conversion on their FZ6's, red or blue.

You should see that bike in person. It's gorgeous dude. And sounds even better than it looks!

sounds like the police around here. i live in a small town of around 6000 people and they hand out over 20,000 tickets per year. it was on cnn and several news shows a couple of years ago and is known as the worlds largest speed trap. they will pull you over for anything and everything in this town.

I can barely comprehend how much faster you could get with better suspension. :eek:
Every time I think about you and McLovin getting berated by the CHP about your windscreens I crack up. :rof:
I have been in a terrible funk/depression since getting back from our SoCal trip. Other than a quick lunch time jaunt with Chemiker, I haven't even been riding. You have ruined my everyday existence with the awesomeness of the ride down south. Luckily, I have an all day ride planned with Travis a week from Friday up to the Gold country and the little dragon. Otherwise my life would be meaningless.....:(
Sorry about the mini hijack, but you asked how things are up North... :D
Can't wait to see/hear about your suspension upgrade when you finish.

Since the aussies took over the forum, the word "threadjack" took a whole new meaning, you're fine :rof:

I am really glad you had a good time down here... That whole wkd was crazy and memorable :) We do have a great group of ridding buddies down here don't we!

Let's start planning the next Socal get together... check your pms :rockon:

Since the aussies took over the forum, the word "threadjack" took a whole new meaning, you're fine :rof:

I am really glad you had a good time down here... That whole wkd was crazy and memorable :) We do have a great group of ridding buddies down here don't we!

Let's start planning the next Socal get together... check your pms :rockon:

Man! I'm ready! What do you guys think of another big ride soon? I can't imagine you guys haulin a$$ down here from NorCal so soon again. I was just telling Lisa I need to get a new tent and want to do a camping trip to Joshua Tree Monument Park. Crap! I just realize! Thread officially Jacked! :ban::spank::rof:

Back