Tail of the Dragon

fyip4

Reaction score
Visit site
Im headed to the Tail this week with a few friends. Will be spending 3 nights 2 days in Gatlinburg Tennessee headed from Milwaukee Wisconsin. Anyone going to be down there this weekend? Will be getting there on Thursday night. Anyone ever stay in Gatlinburg? Any pointers?

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Just did this 7-9 May. We rented a cabin above Gatlinburg... the Owl-pine heights, I believe it was. There was 6 of us and it was about $60 per person for two nights. Mountain cabin, jacuzzi, etc. It was a pretty good time. It was a pretty sweet three trip for under $300 each.

Take a rain suit, too. I was the only guy that had one and the ride back sucked for everyone else (we rode through a monster 8 hour storm). Other than that, the area is beautiful. Was getting almost 60mpg because of the slow speed through the mountains.

Oh, and if you aren't an ATGATT guy, TN and NC are helmet states.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Downtown Gatlinburg is a big time tourist trap, lots of SLOW TRAFFIC.

Once your off the main drag and head towards the Dragon, its not bad at all..

Make sure you go to Cherohola Highway, Foothills Parkway, very nice rides, gorgeous views too.

Pay FULL attention while on the Dragon. Doesn't take a split second to go off roading and ruin your day...

My old 04 FJR

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
This time of year (The busy tourist season) you are better off staying in Alcoa/Maryville, TN. Gatlinburg is a tourist trap and more expensive if you are only there for the Dragon. Maryville is also much closer to the Tail.

Definitely hit the Cherohala Skyway. I actually enjoy it more than the tail, speeds are higher, the curves are smoother. :thumbup:

fyip4

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the info. We already have a hotel in Gatlinburg reserved. We decided to stay there vs a place like Maryville because I heard there is more to do in Gat. We all wear helmets also so that wont be an issue.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the info. We already have a hotel in Gatlinburg reserved. We decided to stay there vs a place like Maryville because I heard there is more to do in Gat. We all wear helmets also so that wont be an issue.

You WILL be in stop and go traffic but their generally safer than down here. Be careful on the main drag...

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
We got there on a sunny thursday... 1mph for half a mile. Main strip is almost a parking lot. The construction they are doing drops some areas to 1 lane too. Pure ugliness.

fyip4

Reaction score
Visit site
We got there on a sunny thursday... 1mph for half a mile. Main strip is almost a parking lot. The construction they are doing drops some areas to 1 lane too. Pure ugliness.

damn that sucks. didnt know construction is going on there. Anyone happen to know of any decent bars or resturants in Gat? In terms of bars im only 21 so if someone knows of one with possibly a younger crowd itd be appreciated lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
damn that sucks. didnt know construction is going on there. Anyone happen to know of any decent bars or resturants in Gat? In terms of bars im only 21 so if someone knows of one with possibly a younger crowd itd be appreciated lol

Theres a real good BBQ restaurant, "Bennets", downtown, right near the river towards one end of town. (I'll remember the name here shortly), A regular stop for us. Also a very good steak house, same area, right on the river.

Last time, my friend and I rode up, we stayed in "Townsend" Tenn. (somewhat upscale, much quieter). It was inbetween Gatlinberg and the Dragon as we didn't have family (been thru/at Gatlnberg MANY times).

We were there to ride the backroads/Smokies, average 225 miles a day. Had a ball, no traffic to speak of, no tourist traps, etc..

Last edited:

fyip4

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the posts everyone. it wasnt too bad on thursday and friday but saturday was crazy. I figured id post the better pics from the tail taken by Us 129 and killboy. They were located on some wider turns unfortunately so couldnt get too far of a lean. Someone also crashed on the day we went there which cut the day short.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the posts everyone. it wasnt too bad on thursday and friday but saturday was crazy. I figured id post the better pics from the tail taken by Us 129 and killboy. They were located on some wider turns unfortunately so couldnt get too far of a lean. Someone also crashed on the day we went there which cut the day short.

I see some daylight under there!! JK!

Maybe just not a tight corner but brings back lots of GOOD memories. Thanks for that!

Haven't had the FZ up there yet, but no doubt in my mind it would be the fastest (even against the FJR) run I would ever have..

BTW, when ever I saw Killboy set up, I'd turn around and make another run (in each direction) a couple of times just to get some good shots. Goofy I guess, but fun!!

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Was getting almost 60mpg because of the slow speed through the mountains.

Oh, and if you aren't an ATGATT guy, TN and NC are helmet states.

Part of the reason you got better fuel mileage is altitude.
Yes,altitude!
Our bikes have fuel injection,the higher you go the less oxygen there is.
The less O2 there is the less fuel is needed.
So the ECU tells the injectors less fuel,,,so the higher you go the better the mileage you get!
But,as they say,,there's no free lunch,,,you also have less horsepower.
That's why horsepower rating for piston engined aircraft are stated as at sea-level.
Unless an engine has a turbo or super-charger or some other "power-adder" it loses power as it climbs.
Don't you love it when you get to learn something?
I try to learn something every day.
If I don't learn something,it's a day wasted to me.
Rich

fyip4

Reaction score
Visit site
I see some daylight under there!! JK!

Maybe just not a tight corner but brings back lots of GOOD memories. Thanks for that!

Haven't had the FZ up there yet, but no doubt in my mind it would be the fastest (even against the FJR) run I would ever have..

BTW, when ever I saw Killboy set up, I'd turn around and make another run (in each direction) a couple of times just to get some good shots. Goofy I guess, but fun!!

The corners they were set up on were pretty wide unfortunately. I feel pretty good about the pics tho considering. I dragged my peg a few times.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The corners they were set up on were pretty wide unfortunately. I feel pretty good about the pics tho considering. I dragged my peg a few times.

Naw, looks good! :thumbup:

There's one spot, if you hit it fast enough, your weightless, slight drop off.. (as I re-call, heading south). Did you feel, get that spot?

Last edited:

fyip4

Reaction score
Visit site
Naw, looks good! :thumbup:

There's one spot, if you hit it fast enough, your weightless, slight drop off.. (as I re-call, heading south). Did you feel, get that spot?

hmm I dont recall. Been a lot of miles since then haha over 1600 in the last 6 days. We got held up in a lot of spots. Some people would just not let us by.