The American Mentality (As Told by our Youth)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's no replacement for displacement.

When I had a 300 hp old school V8 I always wanted more! lol Now smaller displacement aluminum block & heads engines do this seamlessly while they're older heavier carb'd friends needed buckets of fuel! Can't say I miss working on the Holley 750 double pumper every 6 months to keep it happy...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Of course I'd always want the torque of liter bike but beyond that I've been content (its usually only good for being squidly with anyways). Well, until last weekend.
I was on a mile long pull of about 7% grade and found Fiz was getting walked on by 750cc gxr(s). She just didn't have the balls. I ended up in the middle of two strangers and really wished it had more beans as she was near WOT and had nothing more to give. First time I wished she had more to offer!

FWIW: my 16 y/o son looks to bigger as better also. I told him to observe who gets their money out of the "whole" rear tire! :thumbup:

My riding is to and from a lot of elevations and the SV1000s being a short stroke, 90 deg. liter, (996) V-twin makes easy work of it. Engine configuration is also an important factor in when and how power is made and used. It's a thirstier motor but works great with lot's of torque and ponies with a nice power band. Unfortunately Suzuki didn't see the need for the SV1000s anymore and discontinued it in 2007. This motor makes a difference of 4 horsepower just by dumping the OEM cans and slipping on aftermarkets cans. Along with a TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) this motor is lots of fun and means business when you ask it to respond. And Oh! the sound! :rockon:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But my friend drives good and beats me in the races so if i get a big motor i can go faster by being a worse driver and crash and think im cool and tough and im the best your not me first you 2nd no manners 15 pick my nose blah blah blah

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My riding is to and from a lot of elevations and the SV1000s being a short stroke, 90 deg. liter, (996) V-twin makes easy work of it. Engine configuration is also an important factor in when and how power is made and used. It's a thirstier motor but works great with lot's of torque and ponies with a nice power band. Unfortunately Suzuki didn't see the need for the SV1000s anymore and discontinued it in 2007. This motor makes a difference of 4 horsepower just by dumping the OEM cans and slipping on aftermarkets cans. Along with a TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) this motor is lots of fun and means business when you ask it to respond. And Oh! the sound! :rockon:

You know it really is a shame Suzuki didn't create a good competitor for FZ1 / Ninja 1000. Ninja 1000 ergonomics with V-twin and Japanese reliability? Yes please!!

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Walked out of a CVS yesterday and started putting my helmet and gloves on. A boy, maybe 11 or 12 years old on a bicycle pulls up next to my bike. The conversation follows:

Boy: "Is that a 600?"
Me: "It is!"
Boy: "It's nice"
Me: "Thanks"
Boy: "How high are you gonna go?" (referring to engine size)
Me: "I'm actually pretty happy with this bike."
Boy: "Oh, my dad has a one thousand"
Me: "That's cool" **drives off**

Well here we go, in the eyes of our youth, bigger is better. And motorcycling is about how high in cc's you get!

LOL!?!?!?!

The kid said nothing about any bike being better anything. He just asked you an innocuous question that anyone would ask about a bike.

You have a serious case of small motorcycle man syndrome.

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm saving my money for the FZ2000 with the 240 rear tire and and the 18 inch apes. Once I get it I'm going to put a bottle of NOS on it;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a Canadian mentality thing too, ties in with the other thread about Gixxers too. The most common scene in my travels that I see is a guy riding a litre bike or a 750 with flip flops and a tank top. Fort Mac tends to have a low side accident once a week with someone stunting, rarely any gear.

Even Darwin can't keep up with the stupidity, big problem here is if you have the money the dealers will sell you what ever you want. With complete disregard for skill and ability, I have heard through the grape vine that dealers will tell folks to just take it easy for the first while and you will grow into your rocket on wheels.

Everyone thinks bigger is better.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not resisting 'the urge' will get any of us dead. Some will get there faster than others! Literally!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
rider talent in my opinion is supreme in comparison to how many cc's you have between your legs.

Very true, most riders will not be able to ride their motorcycle to it's full potential, so having a liter sportbike is just a waste of money in my opinion, again for most riders. The only reason why they get one over a 600 is to compensate their own lack of riding skills, thinking that more power will solve the problem.

But there are some riders out there who can ride and handle a liter bike very well, and you immediately know it when you see it.

LOL...after all this, if I were to go out an buy a sport bike, it would be the BMW1000rr.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very true, most riders will not be able to ride their motorcycle to it's full potential, so having a liter sportbike is just a waste of money in my opinion, again for most riders. The only reason why they get one over a 600 is to compensate their own lack of riding skills, thinking that more power will solve the problem.

But there are some riders out there who can ride and handle a liter bike very well, and you immediately know it when you see it.

LOL...after all this, if I were to go out an buy a sport bike, it would be the BMW1000rr.

Hey don't be dissin the liter riders! :BLAA:
You said "most", not all, so I'll consider myself in the minority :D

This brings up an interesting point: (and a major thread hijackage!) what do you all think constitutes using any given motorcycle to its full potential? Is it about leaning it over as far as it will go? Being smooth? Ability to stop very quickly? Be generally fast?

Don't we all have different definitions of this (though on this forum most people will probably have a pretty similar idea on this) and aren't they all acceptable?

I got my FZ1 when I started putting in a lot of highway miles. I converted my FZ6 to naked and while I loved it for twisties.. doing 40-50 mile stretches at highway speeds with no wind protection and in the cold .. I was not loving it.

Certainly could have gotten another FZ6, but did always drool over FZ1 so figured I might as well get one (price was the same as for a good FZ6).

In no way did I hope or dream of being a better rider by getting FZ1.

Did I ever use my FZ6 to my definition of its full potential? Nope, I never took it to the track, which is my definition of sport (or sporty) bike's full potential.

FZ1 will almost certainly never see the track either. Does it matter? I don't think it does.

While it is thirstier than FZ6 and I do find it quite a bit harder to flick around in the twisties, there are many benefits, none of which make me a better rider (another *big* term with many different definitions). They do make me a happier rider and in the end that's what it's all about :rockon:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
There are plenty of good reasons to get a liter bike. Like not having to rev it all the time to have any power. For riding two up. For long rides. Or because you can, doesn't matter what other people think.

I don't have a liter bike (now) because I don't ride enough for me to justify buying one. Right now I only ride about 150 miles a week and the 6 does it just fine. Well that and I'm looking to buy a Mustang. But another year or two and the 600 will be replaced with something bigger.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL!?!?!?!

The kid said nothing about any bike being better anything. He just asked you an innocuous question that anyone would ask about a bike.

You have a serious case of small motorcycle man syndrome.

Saved me typing the same response.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I loved my FZ and all, but my speedy will out-handle it any day. Most 1000's will really. The FZ is not a handling purpose built machine. Any R1/CBR1/etc is. I'm not sure of your point...The FZ is for comfortable sport touring. And it excels in that category.

its not really an ST bike. its ok for medium sized trips but you'd be hard pressed to do a true iron-butt on one. and its not really about being purpose built, a 1000 has a longer wheelbase for stability to cope with the extra power, but this also means that it will be less flickable than a bike with a shorter wheelbase. so the tighter the road gets the more a 600 has an advantage over a 1000, every time. but on a track where the corners arent super tight and stacked on each other the power greatly outweighs the advantages in handling, hence why 1000s are faster there.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how people are turning this into a deep thing pertaining to the psyche of the country, but oh well. However, I did put around 250 miles of good New England back road riding on the FZ6 today, couldn't be happier! Well... maybe an even 300 would make me a bit more joyous.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is the consensus but every now and then, there is the occasional exception. My friend who is a bike mechanic and owner of an R6 told me when I bought mine: "You made a great decision. You don't need more than this, and will never truly outgrow it."

I believe your mechanic. I remember hearing / reading the sentiment that few people could really get everything out of a modern sportbike on a street.

However you interpret what that kid said, and that story did put a smile on my face, it's true that people seem have more bike than sense. I recall figuring up that a Honda CBR 1000 had a higher P/W ratio than a Bugatti Veyron, and the Fireblade isn't even trying to optimize for straight-line performance.